Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2008, 01:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey Spooked! I hope you're not spooked by all these opinions! As you can tell, its about 50/50, so it is your call. Apart from charts and data it really comes down to the pix and the eyes of the beholders. Take a long look at jjj's great shots and place your bet........

Luck! JK

04-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Not sure I understand that comment. the 40 has quick shift and of course with both, you can turn the AF off on the body. So the advantage would be the quick shift going to the 40 assuming you can comfortably do that with such a small lens.
FA 50/1.4 is better for most fingers and brighter for most eyes.
04-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Kovarik Quote
Take a long look at jjj's great shots and place your bet........
Thanks.

And just to chime in one last time, I think both lenses are fabulous and regardless of which lens you select you'll end up with a good lens.

It really boils down to the minor differences that matter most to you as a photographer. Some people love the 50 and it practically stays glued to their camera. Other people love the 40. As I said, I use the 40 more than the 50 ... but I still take the 50 with me everywhere I go in my bag.

I have both because I just never know when those "minor differences" will be a major factor in whether or not I get the shot I want exactly the way I want it. That's why I've got the DA 70 Limited and a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG as well.

A lens is just a tool. It's up to the individual photographer to decide which tool is best for his/her work.

Last edited by JJJPhoto; 04-13-2008 at 04:21 PM.
04-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spooked Quote
Opinion seems sharply divided on this issue and therefore ponts to both lenses being of exceptional quality. Still it brings me no closer to a decision.

The input has been very helpful so far and for that i say than you ladies and gentlemen. Please chime in if you have any images or experiences you can share that will enlighten further.

Peter
If you examine the two MTF charts and line up the f/2.8 and f/4, the 50 is by far the sharper of the two lenses. What the 40 does not have is f/1.4 while focusing. Two stops is huge in the dark.

04-13-2008, 03:23 PM   #20
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
FA 50/1.4 is better for most fingers and brighter for most eyes.
I think we were saying the same thing. The size makes it a bit tougher to get your fingers around the 40 but it has a better focus ring with quick shift. So I guess a trade off either way.

If "Spooked" isn't Spooked now, wait till we advise him on the 70 vs the 77, 31 vs the 35 macro, and all the 16-50 range options.
04-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spooked Quote
My primary concern is image quality. The following MTF data are borowed from Photozone and if the data is to be believed then the 40 is the clear leader. However i read everywhere that users seem to be in love with the 50. In the face of the data here is it not so the i will get a better image from the 40?
There is more to IQ than MTF data. It depends on what you want to shoot and what sort of a photographer you are... how you like to compose etc. Because sometimes it's better to have the sort of characteristics the 50mm displays, namely less resolution at the borders at faster speeds and wider possible aperture overall. The main reason you'd want this is for portraits, but any time you want the subject near the centre of the frame to "pop" more from the background this could be an issue.

Oh, and might I suggest the 43mm limited? It has a lovely build with a nice hood and cap. It has full frame coverage and an aperture ring for use with film bodies. In terms of IQ it is ranked way up there... usually considered superior to the 40mm or 50mm.

Though any of the three are very good methinks... 'tis just quibbling.
04-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #22

You are missing the point of LBA. The two lenses have different uses. The correct question is which to buy first. The 50/f1.4 is great for low light. I always carry it but rarely use it. From your comments you will use the 40mm more. When the light is low you will either reach for the 50mm or miss the shot. It is your choice.

04-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If I may throw a monkey wrench in this conversation...I have been pondering this lens for a few months now..I do not often hear of it being spoken of so I will ask. How is this lens.
Pentax Wide Angle 35mm f/2.0 SMCP-FA AL Autofocus Le

Pentax | Wide Angle 35mm f/2.0 SMCP-FA AL Autofocus Lens | 22190
04-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #24
Veteran Member

If you have the money, I second the 43Ltd. Not only does it have great IQ, it's maximum f1.9 aperture works well in the dark. See what I mean:

Here's a sample of what it can do during the day:

Have we confused you enough yet?
Heather
04-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #25
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=jgredline;219139]If I may throw a monkey wrench in this conversation...I have been pondering this lens for a few months now..I do not often hear of it being spoken of so I will ask. How is this lens.[QUOTE]

I don't have this lens myself, but I think it would be a nice compliment to your 50. For the money, it looks like a good sharp lens. See for yourself:
Pentax smc P-FA 35mm f/2 AL Lens Sample Photos and Specifications

HTH,
Heather
04-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #26
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
If I may throw a monkey wrench in this conversation...I have been pondering this lens for a few months now..I do not often hear of it being spoken of so I will ask. How is this lens.
Pentax Wide Angle 35mm f/2.0 SMCP-FA AL Autofocus Le

Pentax | Wide Angle 35mm f/2.0 SMCP-FA AL Autofocus Lens | 22190
Ah choices, Spooked is going nuts right now.

The 35mm is an excellent lens. I had one for a year. I've got the 31mm now and only because the deal was great. I only sold the 35mm to raise some cash late last year. It was my most often used prime and it's very close to the legendary 31mm. It's a perfect 'normal' length and very sharp with great IQ. Built the same as the FA 50 f1.4. Not the greatest as a manual focus lens but excellent in all other ways.

A great spot to get a sense of the IQ is the PPG. Have a look at some of the sample images there.

PENTAX Photo Gallery
04-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I don't have this lens myself, but I think it would be a nice compliment to your 50. For the money, it looks like a good sharp lens. See for yourself:
Pentax smc P-FA 35mm f/2 AL Lens Sample Photos and Specifications

HTH,
Heather
i used to have this lens ... it is super sharp, and if you check photozone, it is sharper than the FA31. but it's made of plastic and doesn't render as well
04-13-2008, 08:13 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Now we have another option: DA35/2.8 macro. I think it's a more versatile lens than the DA40 and FA50. All these lenses are good and sharp enough, don't just look at the MTF chart. Those are just numbers, you won't see much difference at all during actual shooting, unless you make very big prints (not many do so anyway).

If you want a cool lens, get the DA40 (there is nothing like that out there)
If you want a low light lens, get the FA50/1.4 (2 stops does make a difference under low light)
If you want a do-it-all lens, get the DA35 macro
If you have serious LBA problem, get all of them

Personally I'd suggest to go either w/ the FA50 (if you shoot under low light alot) or the DA35macro.
04-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
unless you make very big prints (not many do so anyway).
but many do pixel peeping
04-13-2008, 10:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
but many do pixel peeping
Glad I'm not one of them