Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to get the hood off a Pentax DA 70 mm F2.4 Limited?

Hi

I've had a Pentax DA 70 mm F2.4 Limited for a couple of years now.
Very pleased with it.

I want to attach a filter to it - and the hood with extension is able to come off according to what I understand although I read it is 'built in'...

How?

It seems completely impossible to unscrew with a normal amount of force applied. I would hate to wreck it, and it would be terrible to think that I have misunderstood something (it really is NOT possible) and thus damaged it in the process.

Kind regards
Morten Bech Kristensen

02-01-2014, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Just turn the outer part of the hood counterclockwise and it will come off. Don't grasp it by the part that extends.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I had a very similar situation.

The hood on my 70mm was very tightly screwed to the lens. It was a pain removing it!

I even did a research to find maybe there is some special way the hood is unscrewed. But there really isn't anything special about it, just enough force in the right direction
02-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MBK Quote
Hi

Very pleased with it.

I want to attach a filter to it - and the hood with extension is able to come off according to what I understand although I read it is 'built in'...

How?

It seems completely impossible to unscrew with a normal amount of force applied. I would hate to wreck it, and it would be terrible to think that I have misunderstood something (it really is NOT possible) and thus damaged it in the process.

Kind regards
Morten Bech Kristensen
Take a look in the database of reviews for this lens. I had exactly the same problem. I actually found that if you leave the lens cap on and grip the cap with your whole hand and twist, it comes off easier. Somewhat like using a jar opener to twist off a tight cap on a jar. Maybe this is just a quirk with my particular copy. I bought my lens used and it does not have a mark or scratch on it, absolutely pristine condition. I wonder if this problem of the lens hood locking on may be why the previous owner gave it up. One other thing, and it may be related. This lens has some play or wobble in the inner barrel. Since the lens is metal this wobble makes a clicking sound which makes it seem worse than it actually is. Also it is very much noticeable with the hood on, much less so with the hood off. I wonder if it is possible that whoever had this lens before me may have loosened up the inner barrel by twisting too hard to get it off. None of my other limiteds, 15 mm, 21 mm and 35 mm Macro have any inner barrel wobble at all.
The good news is that over time the hood on my DA70 mm may have went through a break in period as it now seems to go on and off much smoother and easier. I hope this helps.

02-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MBK Quote
Hi

Very pleased with it.

How?

Kind regards
Morten Bech Kristensen
Yes, the part that has "SMC PENTAX-DA 1:2.4" is part of the hood. Grab that part and turn. Mine usually turns easily, but on occasions it can really grip. Sometimes it won't turn at all first time, but then if I let it go and then hold it at a slightly different angle and turn, it turns easily. The trick sometimes is to grip it very lightly. A tight grip compresses it and can make it impossible to turn.

If all that doesn't work, I recommend dunking it (hood only!) in very hot water for a few seconds.
02-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Yes, the part that has "SMC PENTAX-DA 1:2.4" is part of the hood. Grab that part and turn. Mine usually turns easily, but on occasions it can really grip. Sometimes it won't turn at all first time, but then if I let it go and then hold it at a slightly different angle and turn, it turns easily. The trick sometimes is to grip it very lightly. A tight grip compresses it and can make it impossible to turn.

If all that doesn't work, I recommend dunking it (hood only!) in very hot water for a few seconds.
What you are saying here (aside from the hot water dunk) may well explain why I find that unscrewing it with the cap on works. With the cap on, I am applying a more even and gentler grip across the whole assembly without the compression pressure point you noted. I thought I was the only person having this issue with this lens, now I feel better that I did not get stuck with a defective copy. I just wish I could resolve that slight but annoying inner barrel wobble. It is the one thing that mars this otherwise perfect lens.
02-02-2014, 07:10 AM   #7
MBK

Original Poster
Hi all

Success - it came off with a little more force.
Holding on to the focusing ring + the lens part while simultaneously gripping on to the part of the hood with the letters did the job.
However re-attaching even with a minimal force created the same feeling of stiffness. Pentax ought to have made the thread more "user-friendly".
Surprised to see how compact this lens actually is w/o the hood but that is one reason I like Pentax equipment.
- I am glad that I can attach a filter now :-)

kind regards
Morten