Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #1

SLR lens on DLSR Camera

I own a Pentax ZX-60 with multiple Sigma lens. I have Sigma DL macro lens and a 28-80mm lens that came with the camera. Big quiestion...is will these lens work on the Pentax DSLR series? Any help please!

02-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums!

Yes, they will work fine with any Pentax DSLR camera or the K01 Mirrorless. No modifications or adapters needed. You'll be able to use your lens in autofocus mode and you'll be able to control the aperture of the lens via the camera (when aperture ring is set in "A" position.

If you have any older manual focus lenses, those will also work, see the guide linked below for instructions.
---> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using...x-dslrs-f.html

And differences and features of different Pentax series lenses, below.
---> http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensesExplained.html

Last edited by Julie; 02-01-2014 at 04:37 PM. Reason: adding links
02-01-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bvpd15 Quote
I own a Pentax ZX-60 with multiple Sigma lens. I have Sigma DL macro lens and a 28-80mm lens that came with the camera. Big quiestion...is will these lens work on the Pentax DSLR series? Any help please!
Absolutely. There is no loss of functionality at all with any lens that the Z series Pentaxes used. There are more lenses that will fit and work fine. The clues are the lens types. Your DSLR will be able to use DA, DA*, FA, D-FA, and F lenses for both autofocus and auto exposure. A lenses will work in auto exposure just fine, but they are manual focus lenses. M and K series lenses will only work in M (manual) exposure mode if you want to use them with any aperture other than wide open, when you can also use Av mode. The magic Pentax green button will set a shutter speed for you. Screw mount lenses work with an adapter, and obviously cannot auto focus. There is an elaborate sticky at the top of the beginners' forum that will get you on track for which lens will do what on your new DSLR.
02-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Im surprised you don't just try these things. I mean.. If you have it there in front of you, you know It doesn't look much different

02-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

This is one reason that I'm so happy I chose Pentax! I had no idea, when I bought my k-x, just how backwards compatible everything is. I'm having a ball buying lenses from eBay & I'm sure if I put some effort into thrift stores & garage sales, I could find stuff there too.
02-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum!!

Actually with a Pentax digital body, you will get enhanced functionality. What do I mean? Well there is focus confirmation - where as you use either your manual focus / or auto focus lenses, the camera body will tell you that the image is in focus and you can then shoot. Then there is catch in focus - where as the body determines the image is in focus, it will just capture the image auto-magically

02-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
Emperor and Senpai

I use some lenses that were made for film SLR cameras on my K5 quite a bit. I even have them in my signature. Now the funny one is that I've sued some fo my DSLR only lenses on film cameras with interesting results. You want wide? Strap on a Tamron 10-24 to an SF-1. It will not vignette after 12 or 13 mm or so.
02-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #8
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lenses from that era will work fine one a Pentax DSLR, even if they are from another brand. Another advantage with a DSLR is that they will be able to benefit from image stabilisation technology, so should be easier to shoot at low shutter speeds.

One thing to note is that the image will not be as wide as you are used to. For example, the 28-80 when set to 28mm on a DSLR will give you the same angle of view as when you have it set to 43mm on your film camera. So I recommend that you get a DSLR with a kit lens, because it does not cost much more. Kit lenses usually start at 18mm, which is close to the wide end of your 28-80.

02-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If it will mount on a Pentax film camera a lens will mount on a Pentax dslr
02-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Backwards compatibility is large marketing point Pentax Ricoh apparently failed with :-)
02-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #11
Emperor and Senpai

One other thing, since modern sensors tend to out resolve lenses you may find your old lenses may not quite be as sharp as you remember.
02-01-2014, 10:00 PM   #12
Pentaxian

*hugs his 1958 Tessar

(don't listen to the bad man. It's ok. It's ok)
02-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
If it will mount on a Pentax film camera a lens will mount on a Pentax dslr
I just found a lens by Sigma that will NOT mount on my Pentax K-x, however it WILL mount on my MX, P3n, P30t, and both Ricoh film bodies.
02-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Huh. What markings does the lens have? Pics?
02-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I found a Sigma 28mm f:2.8 lens that mounts fine on all my K-mount film cameras, but will NOT mount on my K-x DSLR. I am getting ready to order a K-30 and am wondering if anyone can tell me why this won't mount. Can I do something to make it mount? will it mount on my K-30??
I am fairly certain that it also mounted on my ist*DL, but I do not have it here to test I gave it to my neice.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo