Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Raybo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 871
Anyone own this lens?

I just couldn't help myself and picked up this lens, tried the search function but could not come up with anything.
If anybody has any experience with, or owns this lens could you please share your thoughts.
I have a couple of birdfeeders about 70 feet from a good vantage point and have a very sturdy tripod and remote shutter release.
Will this rig get some decent images?

M42 MC MTO 11CA 10/1000mm lens astro and others T2 moun - eBay (item 140222257318 end time Apr-13-08 07:01:00 PDT)


Thanks in advance,

Ray

04-13-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 182
I don't know anything about that particular lens but it looks like a mirror lens and I generally don't recommend mirror lenses because they tend to produce very odd and distracting out-of-focus backgrounds (bokeh). Here's an article with an example of this:
Bokeh and Background Blur

You should be able to minimize this effect if you maximize your depth of field (use the smallest possible aperture). Have fun with your new lens and I'd love to see some pictures!

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
I just couldn't help myself and picked up this lens, tried the search function but could not come up with anything.
If anybody has any experience with, or owns this lens could you please share your thoughts.
I have a couple of birdfeeders about 70 feet from a good vantage point and have a very sturdy tripod and remote shutter release.
Will this rig get some decent images?

M42 MC MTO 11CA 10/1000mm lens astro and others T2 moun - eBay (item 140222257318 end time Apr-13-08 07:01:00 PDT)


Thanks in advance,

Ray
04-13-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member
aegisphan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 815
Mirror lens does have its use. If you can go close enough, and there is not highlight in the background, a mirror can still produce a stunning picture. I've not gotte one yet cause I don't shoot much at 350 or 500. Of course you shouldn't expect ultimate sharpness with any of these lenses (probably the Mirotar is an exception).
04-13-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Senior Member
Groundloop's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 236
QuoteOriginally posted by Jun Park Quote
...maximize your depth of field (use the smallest possible aperture). Have fun with your new lens and I'd love to see some pictures!
Mirror lenses don't have variable apertures. The only way to control exposure is with shutter speed and/or ND filters, and ideally the filters would be mountable on the rear of the lens, since the front filter size would be huge.

04-13-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,202
Here is a site where you can buy one new from Russia:

MTO-11CA 10/1000 Telephoto Lens

Assuming that the performance is good, with the case and filter, you probably made out pretty good.

This lens and other MTO models are also sold through a number of outlets under the Rubinar name.
04-13-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,202
I forgot the note that there may be issues with mounting this lens on certain camera bodies. The body circumference is pretty large and may not clear the built-in flash on some modern slrs.
04-13-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I forgot the note that there may be issues with mounting this lens on certain camera bodies. The body circumference is pretty large and may not clear the built-in flash on some modern slrs.
soon as I saw the listing that was my thought. Will this even fit under the flash? Lets hope so. When you get it, post some sample shots.
04-13-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Raybo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 871
Original Poster
I already have the 500mm version of this lens and it fits no problem on my K100D Super, in fact I have zero issues hand holding with great results.

I have no problem with the bokeh, I just want to capture some birdies.
I'll post images after it arrives.

Thanks again,

Ray

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lens, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:14 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top