Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2014, 04:11 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 101
DA*16-50&DA*50-135 for event and wedding?

Hey guys I have a question about using DA* 16-50mm f2.8 and DA* 50-135mm f2.8 lens; as an event photographer I have been an Ex-Canon user and current Sony user and have had experience with their 24-70 & 70-200 equivalent lens and I have found them very useful and AF tracking In AF-C mode very essential in event and wedding photography.

I have recently acquired a Pentax K 5 II for causal walk around use because I also appreciate Pentax's colours and just curious how Pentax's DA* 16-50mm f2.8 and DA* 50-135mm f2.8 lens perform in event and wedding shoot especially AF tracking In AF-C mode( As I may want to build a second system as back up for event shooting)?

Thanks!

02-02-2014, 05:08 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: N. Calif
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,537
Welcome to the Pentax World. Just a bit of caution here - while Pentax is known for its awesome lenses, it is not the fastest AF tracking system. The K3 is a lot faster than the K5ii , but not as fast as Canon. The DA*16-50 and 50-135 are excellent lenses and produce stellar colors - but are a tad slow in focusing.
02-02-2014, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian
Driline's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: IOWA Where the Tall Corn Grows
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,915
So unless the groom decides to bolt the wedding in a fast way you're probably ok.
02-02-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 101
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Welcome to the Pentax World. Just a bit of caution here - while Pentax is known for its awesome lenses, it is not the fastest AF tracking system. The K3 is a lot faster than the K5ii , but not as fast as Canon. The DA*16-50 and 50-135 are excellent lenses and produce stellar colors - but are a tad slow in focusing.
Hmm similar to what my Pentaxian friend has told me, Pentax lenses will AF slower than CaNikon even Sony/Minolta SSM lenses but they have good accuracy. One thing I'm particularly interested is AF-C and tracking performance.

02-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Driline's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: IOWA Where the Tall Corn Grows
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,915
I've got the DA*50-135 and have used AF-C on our dog without any problems running around the yard.
02-02-2014, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 475
QuoteOriginally posted by ColiNiloK Quote
Hey guys I have a question about using DA* 16-50mm f2.8 and DA* 50-135mm f2.8 lens; as an event photographer I have been an Ex-Canon user and current Sony user and have had experience with their 24-70 & 70-200 equivalent lens and I have found them very useful and AF tracking In AF-C mode very essential in event and wedding photography.

I have recently acquired a Pentax K 5 II for causal walk around use because I also appreciate Pentax's colours and just curious how Pentax's DA* 16-50mm f2.8 and DA* 50-135mm f2.8 lens perform in event and wedding shoot especially AF tracking In AF-C mode( As I may want to build a second system as back up for event shooting)?

Thanks!
I did some wedding work with a K5/K20 and the 16-50 and 50-135. The K20 did not AF fast enough for some of the action, so I bought the K5. It was better, but still not great. I came to the conclusion that the lenses were part of the problem.

I moved to the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 and the 50-150 f2.8 and they both are faster than the Pentax lenses on any body I have used them on, especially the 17-50. I just received a K3, and so far, with the same lens combo, AF is much faster and tracking is better than my K5. I no longer have the Pentax lenses, so I cannot do a k3 comparison.

The 50-135 was great optically, the 16-50 ok (not great at widest angle, wide open), and the WR can be useful, but SDM on these lenses was just plain slow (painfully so).

In use, the 2 Sigma lenses have proven to be good from an optical quality standpoint, with the 17-50 being better (IMO) than the 16-50, and the 50-150 being pretty close to the 50-135 with the added bonus of a bit more reach.

The Sigma 50-150 in Pentax mount is out of production, I believe, but they come up for sale now and again.

The 2 Pentax lenses are in dire need of a refresh, mainly related to the focus system. I took tens of thousands of images with my 16-50 on 4 bodies, so while they are good optical performers, they desperately need a fast and reliable silent focusing system to go along with the DA* designation (not to mention to justify the pricing).

The bottom line is that I think you will be less than happy with the two compared to your Canon/Sony experience.

Ray

Last edited by Ray Pulley; 02-02-2014 at 12:46 PM.
02-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 475
QuoteOriginally posted by ColiNiloK Quote
Hey guys I have a question about using DA* 16-50mm f2.8 and DA* 50-135mm f2.8 lens; as an event photographer I have been an Ex-Canon user and current Sony user and have had experience with their 24-70 & 70-200 equivalent lens and I have found them very useful and AF tracking In AF-C mode very essential in event and wedding photography.

I have recently acquired a Pentax K 5 II for causal walk around use because I also appreciate Pentax's colours and just curious how Pentax's DA* 16-50mm f2.8 and DA* 50-135mm f2.8 lens perform in event and wedding shoot especially AF tracking In AF-C mode( As I may want to build a second system as back up for event shooting)?

Thanks!
Here is a Sigma 50-150 f2.8 for sale on eBay:

Sigma 50 150mm F2 8 II APO EX DC HSM Lens for Pentax K Mount 0085126691561 | eBay

They come up on this board now and again as well.

Ray
02-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 101
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
I did some wedding work with a K5/K20 and the 16-50 and 50-135. The K20 did not AF fast enough for some of the action, so I bought the K5. It was better, but still not great. I came to the conclusion that the lenses were part of the problem.

I moved to the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 and the 50-150 f2.8 and they both are faster than the Pentax lenses on any body I have used them on, especially the 17-50. I just received a K3, and so far, with the same lens combo, AF is much faster and tracking is better than my K5. I no longer have the Pentax lenses, so I cannot do a k3 comparison.

The 50-135 was great optically, the 16-50 ok (not great at widest angle, wide open), and the WR can be useful, but SDM on these lenses was just plain slow (painfully so).

In use, the 2 Sigma lenses have proven to be good from an optical quality standpoint, with the 17-50 being better (IMO) than the 16-50, and the 50-150 being pretty close to the 50-135 with the added bonus of a bit more reach.

The Sigma 50-150 in Pentax mount is out of production, I believe, but they come up for sale now and again.

The 2 Pentax lenses are in dire need of a refresh, mainly related to the focus system. I took tens of thousands of images with my 16-50 on 4 bodies, so while they are good optical performers, they desperately need a fast and reliable silent focusing system to go along with the DA* designation (not to mention to justify the pricing).

The bottom line is that I think you will be less than happy with the two compared to your Canon/Sony experience.

Ray
Thanks Ray for your insights and link.

I have gotten similar reports from others and agree that Pentax DA* series needs a SDM upgrade. And 16-50 being getting mixed bag of reviews optically.

That said I have briefly tested 50-135 and the AF seems a little slower than Canon and Sony's latest Supersonic drive lenses and 16-50 seems to AF faster than 50-135, but still lag a little behind, however them seem to AF quiet accurately.

Currently I'm just using my K 5 II with primes as a walk around tool no biggy yet to jump into buy these 2 lenses, just good know since I'm exploring the options to build a back up /second camera that can be used to work alone my main. Have used Canon's 17-55 and Sony's 16-50 on respective C & S APSC bodies and I have to say they are both excellent optically and AF wise, just C & S's mid-range/semi-pro APSC bodies are not as good at high ISO as Pentax, but in event which AF is critical and flash can be used, that can be worked around.

50-135 however, is unique in the sense that it is smaller, lighter and cheaper than the 70-200 C &S have and a gives a good range on APSC bodies, the AF wise i think it performs similar against C& S's 70-200 MK 1. I think a 50-135 range lens it is better suited than mounting a 70-200 on APSC bodies to work as a combo, then again since I have a Sony FF body I'm also looking at Sony's 70-200 MK 2 as an option too. Not sure about the Sigma in turns of AF accuracy wise, had the Sigma 85 before, great lens optically, not so great AF wise.

So I will be looking into this more then to weight my options and maybe wait a while to see if Pentax updates the lenses or Sony releases new mid-range/semi-pro APSC body with better ISO performance.

Thanks very much.

02-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 101
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I've got the DA*50-135 and have used AF-C on our dog without any problems running around the yard.
It is possible with good techniques, were you using AP-C and continuous High and centre AF point with 50-135? With this set up how many out of 10 would you say one could get sharp pics?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
16-50mm, af, af-c, da*, event, f2.8, k-mount, lens, mode, pentax lens, slr lens, user, wedding
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: K-5 body, 12-24, 16-50, 50-135, 18-250, 50-200, 55-300, Tamron 1.4x TC, and a DA 21mm einstrigger Sold Items 8 12-15-2012 12:33 AM
For Sale - Sold: K-7+, DA 10-17, DA 18-55, DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, 540 Flash, 360 Flash & HP Com mackloon Sold Items 15 05-28-2011 03:56 AM
DA* 16-50/DA 17-70 & Da 50-135 Oscar1 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 02-28-2010 01:29 AM
Optional replacements (prime) for DA* 50-135 and 16-50 AirSupply Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 02-25-2010 08:29 PM
DA* 16-50 vs DA* 50-135 for wedding lurchlarson Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 28 07-16-2009 11:02 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:03 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top