Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2014, 02:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I just put new lenses in my bag because I know when I pull one out, my husband will have *no* clue when I got it or how much it cost!
I heard this method falters when you go for 300mm F2.8, or 500mm+, classes of lenses. There are some other uses of those, however. Nicely summarized for the 500 here: http://photo.net/mjohnston/column57/

02-05-2014, 03:00 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Unless it's chrome, has wings or smells like jet fuel, I promise he would have NO clue!
02-05-2014, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
Do you think you could come over to our LBA meetings and give a motivational speech every now and then? We are having some trouble figuring out ways to substantiate purchases and some of us don't even have the next lens to covet.

Sorry, I can't help you with the next lens to covet. I don't think I have one (although I have a couple of ideas on what I might need someday).

It's easy - you simply get the best lenses, or you get ones up to the level you're happy with. Of course if that exceeds your budget, then you have a problem .

But getting the better lenses has allowed me to accept them (and this whole pursuit) realistically - they have definite flaws, but each has its own outstanding character, and I can appreciate that (imperfect) character and leverage it "artistically" (or more often, simply know I can count on it and take advantage of it as a useful tool). The pursuit ended because the needs were filled. You're not chasing perfection, or something "incredible," just something that exceeds the threshold you're content with.

Anything else out there is either unneeded or unrealistic. For example, the FA*300/2.8 isn't even considered, because it's too expensive and heavier than I'd prefer anyway. The F*300/4.5 is very good, and I'm happy with it.

I could actually afford to trim down my kit, based on what I do and don't use much. But there's no rush, since idle lenses don't lose value.

Last edited by DSims; 02-05-2014 at 05:03 PM.
02-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote

Sorry, I can't help you with the next lens to covet. I don't think I have one (although I have a couple of ideas on what I might need someday).

It's easy - you simply get the best lenses, or you get ones up to the level you're happy with. Of course if that exceeds your budget, then you have a problem .

But getting the better lenses has allowed me to accept them (and this whole pursuit) realistically - they have definite flaws, but each has its own outstanding character, and I can appreciate that (imperfect) character and leverage it "artistically" (or more often, simply know I can count on it and take advantage of it as a useful tool). The pursuit ended because the needs were filled. You're not chasing perfection, or something "incredible," just something that exceeds the threshold you're content with.

Anything else out there is either unneeded or unrealistic. For example, the FA*300/2.8 isn't even considered, because it's too expensive and heavier than I'd prefer anyway. The F*300/4.5 is very good, and I'm happy with it.

I could actually afford to trim down my kit, based on what I do and don't use much. But there's no rush, since idle lenses don't lose value.
That actually brings me to another quick question. Did you happen to find a store in SoCal that carries Pentax? All I have seen at Samy's was 18-55 WR.

02-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #20
Pentaxian

That actually brings me to another quick question. Did you happen to find a store in SoCal that carries Pentax? All I have seen at Samy's was 18-55 WR.
Right, and they're the only one I know of. And their selection is horrible. Both in LA and Santa Ana. Probably at other locations too.

They used to have one (or sometimes 2) of most of the good lenses. That's where I bought my MIJ FA31. And it's where I tried the DA*300, DA*200, DA*60-250, DA21, DA*55, DA10-17, and others.

I got my newly released K-x at Fry's a few years ago. They actually had it in stock right away - before many of the online sites did. They may still carry a few things.

Last edited by DSims; 02-05-2014 at 08:51 PM.
02-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Right, and they're the only one I know of. And their selection is horrible. Both in LA and Santa Ana. Probably at other locations too.

They used to have one (or sometimes 2) of most of the good lenses. That's where I bought my MIJ FA31. And it's where I tried the DA*300, DA*200, DA*60-250, DA21, DA*55, DA10-17, and others.

I got my newly released K-x at Fry's a few years ago. They actually had it in stock right away - before many of the online sites did. They may still carry a few things.
I am just trying to see what are those limited primes all about. Trying to decide between the 40mm and 35mm DA.
I tried two locations, in Pasadena and Culver City and they had little to none. I might try their main store downtown in the near future.

The camera store in Westwood, by UCLA (I think it's called Bel-Air camera) has surprising selection of medium format Pentax, but relatively little dSLR equipment. Also the staff is a bit aloof.
02-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I am just trying to see what are those limited primes all about. Trying to decide between the 40mm and 35mm DA.
I tried two locations, in Pasadena and Culver City and they had little to none. I might try their main store downtown in the near future.

The camera store in Westwood, by UCLA (I think it's called Bel-Air camera) has surprising selection of medium format Pentax, but relatively little dSLR equipment. Also the staff is a bit aloof.
The Samy's on Fairfax had very little last time I was there. But Samy's is still the official Pentax dealer in the area. I noticed Bel-Air doesn't have much either, but haven't been there in a year or two.

I'll send you a PM.