Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2014, 01:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I've read that the combination of the 3M Scotch filter and that particular Hoya filter tricks the exposure meter. Have you noticed any problems?

- Craig
Mostly trouble with autofocusing. It underexposes a little. I guess that could be it...

02-05-2014, 01:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote

I have stopped carrying the 16-45 most of the time to save weight (and since I bring the DA15 and DA35 anyway) but you're right about those Sigmas!

Do you have any problems with wobbly barrel on your 16-45? I'm thinking of sending in mine for repair, since the wobbliness makes it hard to use in portrait mode at 16 mm (it gets decentered).
It works excellent for me, surprisingly. I got it used from KEH for less than $200 - it was a BGN grade. It has treated me very well so far and I didn't notice any optical issues. It is a little wobbly if you push it... but I don't, just in case. The SN is 516xxxx, not sure how old is it, maybe it's a newer model than yours?
02-05-2014, 01:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by retroflex Quote
Can we see a test shot with the Takumar?
Yes indeed. This is a test shot of a computer screen. Sharpness is not great, contrast is somewhat poor too. However, the colors are really nice and saturated.
This shot is wide open, but frankly, it does not improve much when stopped down. The vignetting is pretty bad too.

I would shell extra bucks for the HD version, unless you are into this kind of thing.
It has this 'dreamy' look, from the kind of dream you get during a medically induced coma.

The shots are a resize (1st), 100% central crop (2nd) and a 100% corner crop (3rd).
Attached Images

Last edited by rrstuff; 11-02-2014 at 04:02 PM.
02-05-2014, 01:34 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
It works excellent for me, surprisingly. I got it used from KEH for less than $200 - it was a BGN grade. It has treated me very well so far and I didn't notice any optical issues. It is a little wobbly if you push it... but I don't, just in case. The SN is 516xxxx, not sure how old is it, maybe it's a newer model than yours?
I don't have it with me today to read the SN, but it's gotten wobblier over time. I bought it with my K10d 6 years ago. It got a quite severe hit (the filter broke) which may have added to the wobbliness, but I can't really tell if it really got worse after that. The wobbliness usually doesn't cause any problems in landscape mode, only when holding the camera in portrait mode it may sometimes cause decentering when fully zoomed to 16mm - if I don't remember to push it a little with my finger

02-05-2014, 01:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I don't have it with me today to read the SN, but it's gotten wobblier over time. I bought it with my K10d 6 years ago. It got a quite severe hit (the filter broke) which may have added to the wobbliness, but I can't really tell if it really got worse after that. The wobbliness usually doesn't cause any problems in landscape mode, only when holding the camera in portrait mode it may sometimes cause decentering when fully zoomed to 16mm - if I don't remember to push it a little with my finger
Yeah I saw you mentioned that in another thread. I wonder is something simply got out of alignment, or if some sort of rail broke on one side. Technically you could make a plastic collar attached to the AF ring to stabilize it, but it doesn't sound like it's a lot of trouble for you.
02-05-2014, 07:24 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
Yes indeed. This is a test shot of a computer screen. Sharpness is not great, contrast is somewhat poor too. However, the colors are really nice and saturated.
This shot is wide open, but frankly, it does not improve much when stopped down. The vignetting is pretty bad too.

I would shell extra bucks for the HD version, unless you are into this kind of thing.
It has this 'dreamy' look, from the kind of dream you get during a medically induced coma.

The shots are a resize (1st), 100% central crop (2nd) and a 100% corner crop (3rd).
I think I see some motion blur, was this shot handheld or did you use a tripod and were you taking a test shot of a stationary subject?