Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Does metabones plan to bring their speedbooster to other mounts or is there something about it that limits the usefulness to only mirrorless cameras?
They specifically said they won't. Moreover, they have trouble developing one with 2x reduction of focal length for M4/3rds as well. Apparently the back element jams into the shutter.

02-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Does metabones plan to bring their speedbooster to other mounts or is there something about it that limits the usefulness to only mirrorless cameras?
There really is only one of issue here. That being registration distance. The Speedbooster (and similar) mount as a glass-filled adapter for long registration distance glass onto very short registration bodies. Supporting multiple mounts/bodies is fairly straightforward as long as no mirror box is in the equation. To support Pentax K on a K-mount body would require an optical design specific to Pentax and may not even be possible using the optics they have created for mirrorless cameras.

Steve
02-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #18
Veteran Member

You can buy wide angle adapters.

Basically a glass element that gives a wider view that screws into the filter thread.

BUT!
I've never used one, so I can't comment on the image quality (I expect they'd introduce a fair bit of distortion)
02-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
You can buy wide angle adapters.

Basically a glass element that gives a wider view that screws into the filter thread.

BUT!
I've never used one, so I can't comment on the image quality (I expect they'd introduce a fair bit of distortion)
I have. The corner sharpness was pretty awful and it was supposed to be the best one out there (i think it was either Raynox or Kenko).

I think this was it: http://www.amazon.com/Raynox-HD-6600PRO-Quality-Mounting-Thread/dp/B000A1SZ9...pd_sim_sbs_e_2

Last edited by rrstuff; 02-03-2014 at 06:06 PM. Reason: adding
02-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Or you could use one of these
02-03-2014, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
although sometimes I wonder if a 24mm would fit me better. Then we're getting close to the DA21 again, but so far I've not been so impressed by that lens…
I think 24mm did do the trick for me, as I've found I'd rather use my FA*24 than my FA28 or FA20 (and even instead of my FA31 or DA15 most of the time, with a FL that sits nicely in between them).

Not super compact, but not big either. IQ is quite good, even at f/2.2, so the speed is beneficial as well.

I think it's a compromise all around, but a very good compromise. It's not the smallest, but it's small enough. It's not the fastest (compared to some competitors), but it's fast enough. IQ doesn't stand out as the best you've ever seen, but when you start looking at the photos you notice it's actually very nice. And the price tag isn't in the more desirable $200-300 range, but it's not $1000+ either. So it really is a compromise all around, but as I said, I think it's a very satisfying one.
02-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kristaps Quote
Just wondering. Is there an adapter out there that "compresses" the image circle of a full frame lens down to APS-C size, so that the wide angle still is wide angle? I recently bought a lovely Pentax-F 28mm f2.8 on ebay, but on my Pentax K-30 it is not really a wide angle lens (but still very useful even indoors).
I think the FA*24 and DA15 are your best options here, as long as they're in your price range. The A24/2.8 is also very nice (for a lower price) if MF is OK.

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The good news is a DA16-45 is an inexpensive way to get this wider end.
I also think the DA16-45 is your best option for going wide on a budget.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I guess you didn't notice, many FF cameras come with 24 to70 type lenses, the Pentax comes with an 18-55. What you are asking for is done in lens selection. Sounds like you might need a DA 10-17 or a Sigma 8-16 if you're looking for ultra wide.
Likewise, I think the DA10-17 or Sigma 8-16 are your best options for going ultra-wide.

02-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I think 24mm did do the trick for me

You are in good company.

24mm on APS-C offers about the same FOV of a 35mm focal length lens on 35mm film,
long considered by many (myself included) ideal for most photography.

Chris
02-04-2014, 11:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
You are in good company.

24mm on APS-C offers about the same FOV of a 35mm focal length lens on 35mm film,
long considered by many (myself included) ideal for most photography.

Chris
Not to mention most of the recent high quality single FL cameras (like the Fuji X100 and Sony RX1)!