Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
That just about sums it up. The close-up/macro bokeh is pretty good though

Well yes. I took that for granted . From all I have seen online, the macro bokeh on this lens is very appealing.

02-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
What were those reasons? I am choosing between the FA 35/ltd 35/ DA35 or one of the 40s, or in a word didn't narrow it down at all. I am curious about the 35 because it seems to be quite versatile and built to last, but I would use it mostly as a non-macro.
Well, I think it was the flatness that others have mentioned. I never put my finger on exactly what it was. But I never bought the lens because the images didn't appeal to me enough. And I ended up with an F50/2.8 macro, so I didn't have a great need for a 35mm macro either.

And I never went back to considering it because it eventually got squeezed out by focal length too. I ended up with an FA43, and soon after got an FA31.

I did have 2 FA35s before that. But the IQ was noticeably degraded when shot faster than f/2.5. So at least you can cross that off your list, because the DA35/2.4 gives you the same lens without the under-performing (and mostly useless) half stop between f/2.4 and f/2. So the DA35/2.4 is just as good a lens (which means very good, if not absolutely excellent) for what's suddenly an excellent price. I just got one for my daughter and I really liked it. I'd never consider going back to the overpriced FA35.

I also don't care for the DA40. I never found it appealing enough on its own, and then when I compared it to the FA43 I forgot about it completely.

The FA43 will give you the best IQ. The DA35/2.4 is very good and is the best value. I'd choose between those two unless you really like the DA35 Ltd macro already. Anyhow, those are the 2 I bought. Not that either one has the perfect bokeh, but I think they do fine and the overall IQ is nice.

If OOF backgrounds are really your thing, then the FA31 is the one to move up to. But it's not automagic - it can also make your photos less interesting (or perhaps the other way around - it may sometimes encourage you to take less interesting photos) so it can be both a fascinating and challenging lens to own.

Last edited by DSims; 02-03-2014 at 09:27 PM.
02-04-2014, 01:55 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Well, I think it was the flatness that others have mentioned. I never put my finger on exactly what it was. But I never bought the lens because the images didn't appeal to me enough. And I ended up with an F50/2.8 macro, so I didn't have a great need for a 35mm macro either.

And I never went back to considering it because it eventually got squeezed out by focal length too. I ended up with an FA43, and soon after got an FA31.

I did have 2 FA35s before that. But the IQ was noticeably degraded when shot faster than f/2.5. So at least you can cross that off your list, because the DA35/2.4 gives you the same lens without the under-performing (and mostly useless) half stop between f/2.4 and f/2. So the DA35/2.4 is just as good a lens (which means very good, if not absolutely excellent) for what's suddenly an excellent price. I just got one for my daughter and I really liked it. I'd never consider going back to the overpriced FA35.

I also don't care for the DA40. I never found it appealing enough on its own, and then when I compared it to the FA43 I forgot about it completely.

The FA43 will give you the best IQ. The DA35/2.4 is very good and is the best value. I'd choose between those two unless you really like the DA35 Ltd macro already. Anyhow, those are the 2 I bought. Not that either one has the perfect bokeh, but I think they do fine and the overall IQ is nice.

If OOF backgrounds are really your thing, then the FA31 is the one to move up to. But it's not automagic - it can also make your photos less interesting (or perhaps the other way around - it may sometimes encourage you to take less interesting photos) so it can be both a fascinating and challenging lens to own.
Thanks! I've been leaning to the newer models (40 xs and DA 35) because they are priced very well and do seem to have very good optics. I am tempted to buy the DA 35 but I am worried about the built quality and if it will last at least a couple of years.
02-05-2014, 12:06 AM   #19
Pentaxian

am tempted to buy the DA 35 but I am worried about the built quality and if it will last at least a couple of years.
I doubt this would be a problem. If you get enough use out of it to wear it out, then you've definitely got your money's worth!

02-05-2014, 12:57 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I doubt this would be a problem. If you get enough use out of it to wear it out, then you've definitely got your money's worth!
I wouldn't worry either. My daughter had one (before it was stolen with her K100d) and loved it. It's well built for a plastic construction, and the low weight is a plus too!
02-05-2014, 01:15 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I wouldn't worry either. My daughter had one (before it was stolen with her K100d) and loved it. It's well built for a plastic construction, and the low weight is a plus too!
Sorry to hear about the camera being stolen, that's awful.
02-05-2014, 01:39 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear about the camera being stolen, that's awful.
She got a nice refund from the insurance, so it wasn't so bad. The camera was used so much (she had used it for 6 years since she was 15) that the sensor was starting to show signs of aging, but she was very fond of that lens. She decided to go for a NEX-6 as the replacement (she really wanted something as light as possible), so one Pentaxian was lost
02-05-2014, 01:43 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
She got a nice refund from the insurance, so it wasn't so bad. The camera was used so much (she had used it for 6 years since she was 15) that the sensor was starting to show signs of aging, but she was very fond of that lens. She decided to go for a NEX-6 as the replacement (she really wanted something as light as possible), so one Pentaxian was lost
Well, yes but now she can use SMC taks with a speedbooster like they were meant to be used. Not all is lost .