Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh GW-3 vs DA 15mm Ltd, which to buy

Hello,

I have a Ricoh GR and a few Pentax dslrs. I really want a wide angle lens for landscapes. The question is do I buy the GW-3 adapter for the GR or the 15mm Ltd? They have a very similar focal length (21mm vs 20mm equiv.). The GW-3 is a stop faster. I'm not quite sure which one is smaller. The SMC version of the 15mm Ltd produces beautiful starbursts. I'm not sure if the GW-3 produces starbursts anything like that considering the limited number of reviews and sample pics available. The 15mm Ltd is more versatile and will outlast my dslr bodies. Lastly, and this is the biggest difference, the GW-3 will cost me $250 new and the 15mm Ltd will cost me about twice as much used.
Any suggestions?

02-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

No answers from me, but some things for you to consider while deciding. As you pointed out, the 15mm can get reused on future DSLR bodies for as long as the K-mount lives; the GW-3 adapter might become unusable whenever you replace the GR with a new compact. On the other hand, the GR is smaller than a DSLR, possibly an important factor depending on how/when/where you plan to take those landscape photos. If you're going places where a DSLR is too large to travel with then the GW-3 looks great.

I generally don't like to buy many accessories for fixed lens cameras. Therefore, I would lean towards adding the DA15 to your K-3 provided that the K-3 will be able to travel with you. If I wanted to travel lightly I'd get the GW-3 or maybe just live with GR's native lens and stitch when I need to go wider.