Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #1

Pentax 18-135 WR on Amazon from $369.99

I am looking to purchase an 18-135 WR for my K-5 II. Normally I buy equipment from B&H or from Amazon itself. I have never had a bad experience using either vendor. The current going price for this lens from a reputable dealer is around $500 in the US. I noticed that Amazon has the lens, new, from various “featured sellers.”
Big Value $369.99
Davis MAX $401.09
CameraSpot $409.99
Sunset Electronics $419.79
Focus Camera $419.95
Adorama $496.95

My general impression is that if I buy from Adorama, B&H, or another "Tier 1" dealer I will be buying from an authorized dealer that will provide good customer service and a lens with a US warranty. If I buy from one of the "Tier 2" dealers I will get a gray market lens and so-so customer service. Given that, my real choice seems to be to pay full price or take a gamble and buy a lens from Big Value and save around $127. There are pros and cons to either choice.
My questions to forum members:
Is there any reason to buy from one of the middle price vendors ($405.09 - $419.95)? Are any of these "middle" vendors authorized Pentax dealers? Are they all selling gray market lenses? Does anyone have any experience with these "Tier 2" vendors? Am I taking a big gamble buying from Big Value?
Thanks

02-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not buy used? You can find some barely used versions on the PF marketplace (including mine).
02-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveChicago Quote
I noticed that Amazon has the lens, new, from various “featured sellers.”
Fear not when ordering Pentax on Amazon, regardless of what's listed as the seller. I spoke with a Pentax USA rep (forgive me, I'm not up on the current official branding - not being snarky, either) using the official website's chat, and they said that if it is bought from the amazon website new, it is authorized, as amazon is an authorized retailer. They do not make distinction on who/what the seller is listed as.

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Why not buy used? You can find some barely used versions on the PF marketplace (including mine).
Agreed, great deals and great reputations in the marketplace. I purchased an 18-55 WR and DA 35 2.4 from members there at great prices, and couldn't be happier.
02-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pezmaker Quote
I spoke with a Pentax USA rep (forgive me, I'm not up on the current official branding - not being snarky, either) using the official website's chat, and they said that if it is bought from the amazon website new, it is authorized, as amazon is an authorized retailer. They do not make distinction on who/what the seller is listed as.
If that's the case that would be huge news, as it would essentially allow you to buy a gray market lens at gray market price and still get warranty coverage. I'd be very wary of the word of one rep without this being tested though. If you buy a used one from the marketplace here you at least know what you're getting. (I might be selling my own here before long)

02-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They could be splitting up kits. So cameras boxed with the 18-135 as a kit may being sold as separate items. Check with the end seller if this is the what they are doing.
02-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I'd also rather buy used here on the marketplace. I consider it less risky.
02-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I'd also rather buy used here on the marketplace. I consider it less risky.
I took the advice of sholtzma and DSims and purchased the lens from the marketplace. I got a great lens at a great price.
02-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveChicago Quote
I took the advice of sholtzma and DSims and purchased the lens from the marketplace. I got a great lens at a great price.
Glad to hear it!

02-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #9

You're right to be wary of Big Value

Here's what buyers have to say on ResellerRatings.com.

BigValueInc.com Reviews - bigvalueinc.com Ratings at ResellerRatings

02-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here's a new deal ($399) for those that are interested in the lens:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/251804-da-18-135-39...ed-amazon.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: