Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 12:48 AM   #1

SMC Pentax-FA 35mm F2 AL

Hi,

Purchased one of these yesterday and on my K20D I cannot adjust the aperture with the controls on the body, only when using the aperture ring, is this right? It doesn't bother me either way, just wanted to check!

02-04-2014, 12:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would have thought that, when set on 'A', you should be able to adjust from body. I have a few of that era lenses, and I'm pretty sure you don't need to use the aperture ring.
02-04-2014, 12:53 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
You can only control the aperture via body dial when you put the ring in "A" position.
02-04-2014, 02:49 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I leave mine on "A" position and camera control works perfectly. If it doesn't work then there is probably an issue with the aperture lever - is it bent? That or the A contacts are not make a connection - could try cleaning contacts.

Its a lovely lens BTW.

Last edited by kiwi_jono; 02-04-2014 at 03:08 AM.
02-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I would have thought that, when set on 'A', you should be able to adjust from body. I have a few of that era lenses, and I'm pretty sure you don't need to use the aperture ring.
It should work with the aperture ring set to A. If it doesn't there is probably some contact problem, there may be some play in the pin retraction mechnism or dirt on the pin.
When the aperture ring is turned off the A position, one of the contacts on the mount is retracted, the mechanism for that might be broken.

regards
Jan
02-05-2014, 05:14 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys, the pin locking into auto aperture was a bit stiffer than I expected, now on A it works perfectly!
02-05-2014, 05:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Luke_ Quote
Thanks guys, the pin locking into auto aperture was a bit stiffer than I expected, now on A it works perfectly!
Great to hear! How do you like the lens? I still regret not having bought it when I bought my K10D in Japan in December 2007, the price was very decent back then. But now I have the DA 35 Macro Ltd and find the difference to small to warrant another 35mm. Maybe the 31 if I ever have enough money...