Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
M, A, F, FA, all the same optically.
There may be differences in coatings and manufacturing tolerances, though.

02-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M, A, F, FA, all the same optically.

Aperture automation adds several benefits, like flash automation. The F and FA add autofocus and have a recessed front element, practically a built-in lens hood. The FA also adds the MTF program line in Hyper-Program mode.
Ah yes, but there's always sample variation.
02-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Wow, so many more posts!! Thanks for all this advice - a lot great recommendations now! I just saw M was cheaper and am fine with doing stuff manually - I actually prefer it - and although I haven't had an aperture ring before with one lens that is completely fine too.

thanks again for all the responses - it makes my decisions a lot easier. When I do eventually buy a lens(es) I'll post some photos I took with it/them!
02-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ausmoose Quote
Wow, so many more posts!! Thanks for all this advice - a lot great recommendations now! I just saw M was cheaper and am fine with doing stuff manually - I actually prefer it - and although I haven't had an aperture ring before with one lens that is completely fine too.

thanks again for all the responses - it makes my decisions a lot easier. When I do eventually buy a lens(es) I'll post some photos I took with it/them!
I guess, the giveaway is working...

02-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote
I guess, the giveaway is working...
It's working for you, that's for sure And for me but not quite so well (unfortunately I don't seem to have the best luck with raffles, but fingers crossed!)
02-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
I dont think I have a side by side comparison but my M50 1.7 was optically superior to my A50 1.7 leading me to sell the A variant.
I have no logical explanation for this, as they are supposed to be identical optically-wise, but I did exactly the same thing - sold the A, kept the M.
02-05-2014, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I have no logical explanation for this, as they are supposed to be identical optically-wise, but I did exactly the same thing - sold the A, kept the M.
FINALLY someone who doesnt think I am crazy! Thank you!

02-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And I sold the M because I had acquired an Auto Sears MC 50/1.7 (Chinon clone), that I considered to be just as good, and had 2 A 50/1.7s and an A 50/1.4.

I also have a FA 50/1.7 and another M 50/1.7 somehow found its way into my collection (I seem to remember it was attached to a KX and the two only cost $25)...

Not quite perfect because the focus points are different...

Sears @ 1.7 & 2.8
Name:  Sears MC 50mm F1.7.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  114.2 KB

Name:  Sears MC 50mm F2.8.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  118.0 KB

Pentax A
Name:  SMC-A 50mm F1.7.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  114.5 KB

Name:  SMC-A 50mm F2.8.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  122.1 KB

Pentax M
Name:  SMC-M 50mm F1.7.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  116.0 KB

Name:  SMC-M 50MM F2.8.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  120.1 KB

Last edited by boriscleto; 02-05-2014 at 10:16 AM.
02-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Having a few M and A lenses, I have to say.. "I wouldn't use an M or A lens unless I couldn't get an AF lens", is a perfectly understandable opinion. AF is a wonderful thing. There are times with small birds when I have to take the A-400 off the camera and shoot with the much shorter 60-250, because the choice is AF or no images, because I can't lock focus as fast as the AF system does. When these kinds of conversations degenerate into endless discussions on the values of non-AF lenses, it can become a little pointless.

Our one F lens, an F-80-210, shakes the whole camera when the AF comes to a stop, and practically rips the camera out of your hand. All these older lenses can suffer from purple fringing and uncontrolled CA. It's nice having a few non AF lenses around, but I certainly wouldn't recommend getting them first.

Truth in advertising here, when you recommend an older lens, tell us what's been improved since it was released. Assuming a guy happy with a DA 18-135 with it's quick silent AF, correction for CA and fringing is going to be happy with an M series lens, might be a bit of a reach.

Last edited by normhead; 02-05-2014 at 10:32 AM.
02-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #40
Pentaxian

I also have the Auto Sears 50 1.7. It's actually a rebadged Ricoh lens. I agree that its rendering is better than the Pentax 50 1.7s that I have owned (A and M). But the M 50 1.7 is just as good, as it makes up in different areas due to SMC coating, I guess, and I like its colors a little better.
02-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also have the Auto Sears 50 1.7. It's actually a rebadged Ricoh lens.
there are at least 2 different versions. Most Sears SLRs were rebadged Ricohs, but the KSX-P was a rebadged Chinon. The lens I have was the kit lens for that camera. Look for the Auto Chinon 50/1.7 k-mount in the database.
02-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Ah ok, that makes sense, Boris!
02-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #43
Veteran Member

there are at least 2 different versions. Most Sears SLRs were rebadged Ricohs, but the KSX-P was a rebadged Chinon. The lens I have was the kit lens for that camera. Look for the Auto Chinon 50/1.7 k-mount in the database.

I have both. The Chinon seems superior, though my copy was beat to hell before I acquired it. They're easy enough to tell apart.

The Chinon is on top (white print), the Ricoh on the bottom (red print). The biggest cosmetic difference is the filter size is smaller on the Chinon at 49mm. The Chinon is slightly larger though in profile, but has a shorter minimal throw distance.

And a side view.

The Chinon also has slightly more curved blades, though I can't say how that effects the bokeh to be honest as I've never really tested them out head to head beyond a few test shots.

Chinon is on the right here.

02-05-2014, 12:31 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr Orloff Quote
For landscape M28mm f3.5
This was the first lens that came to my mind as well. It's very sharp and very good.

+1 on the M50/1.7 recommendation. It's one of the best of the M series. I sold mine after I got the M50/1.4, and I regret giving it up.
02-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Originally posted by j2photos Quote I dont think I have a side by side comparison but my M50 1.7 was optically superior to my A50 1.7 leading me to sell the A variant. I have no logical explanation for this, as they are supposed to be identical optically-wise, but I did exactly the same thing - sold the A, kept the M.
I have both, and plan on keeping both! The A is more convenient, but the M is a sentimental favorite, having taken some memorable shots with it.