Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I may or may not have just bought a Sigma 150-500mm HSM OS, bringing my total up a little....

Ill probably sell the M50/1.7 now though

02-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #242
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
I may or may not have just bought a Sigma 150-500mm HSM OS, bringing my total up a little....

That's a fair trade...
02-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #243
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
That's a fair trade...
I thought so...

1 may have cost 20x more, and be 20x the size, but they are both lenses, both K mount even, practically the same
02-10-2014, 01:09 AM - 1 Like   #244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If we limit it to interchangeable lenses and don't count duplicates I currently have 190 lenses. I'm sure it will soon be 191.
They have been bought from 1984 up to very recently.
I remember when I gave up trying to store them in camera bags.
I enjoy picking a film camera and then a couple of lenses from the right period, load some film and shoot. For that to work I need to have some sort of system. So the lenses are organized in ventilated plastic boxes with dry gel in them, and sorted according to mount(-version). That makes it easy to find what I wan't, and provides a safe storage. No fungus yet.
Last week I finished a film in a Praktica using a handfull of Carl Zeiss Jena in PB mount. Today I've considering bringng the K2 DMD with the K30/2.8 and K105/2.8, real favorites I often return to.
I'm not realy colecting, except for Pentax-made 135mm's where I decided for fun to try to get all of them. Nearly there.
I thought I had a lot of lenses until I bought a Konica-AR-lens some years ago from a local collector and saw what he had in his garage....but the sad thing was that he didn't use any of his photo-gear....he only collected them. There are lots of good glass out there that just collect dust, while these collectors drive up the price on the rare items.

02-10-2014, 01:10 AM   #245
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

2 more on their way. One of them is at least one of the ones on my WTB list.
02-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #246
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe there was a poll on this 1-2 years ago.
02-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #247
Pentaxian

Thanks to the sale at KEH this past weekend, my number of Pentax lenses just went from 11 to 14 2 of the new lenses fill actual needs (wide angle and long telephoto). And one was a splurge (cheap K 55 f2).

They'll be here sometime this week...
02-10-2014, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #248
Forum Member

One per camera, on average.

But I have 250+ cameras; probably 3 dozen film SLRs. Only a dozen or so are digital.

Not all of my Pentax cameras are PK mount (e.g., Pentax Auto 110).

Not all of my PK bodies are Pentax (e.g., Sears. Ricoh, Kalimar, Vivitar)

Yes, I know, I'm hopeless.

WHL

02-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #249
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Beaugrand Quote

But I have 250+ cameras; probably 3 dozen film SLRs. Only a dozen or so are digital.

WHL
Wow! Serious lens numbers. Where do you store them? I use a drawer in a small cabinet for my lenses, but it can no way contain more,than thirty.

---------- Post added 02-10-14 at 09:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I believe there was a poll on this 1-2 years ago.
Yes, but many of us were not here two years ago. You have possibly a record number of lenses. How do you find the One in all that collection?
02-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #250
Forum Member

Most that I'm going to be using within the next week or 10 days I keep in gadget bags with appropriate film, batteries, tripods, henweigh, etc.

That number is usually about a dozen or so.

The ones I'm not going to be using for awhile are stored in ziploc bags (with batteries and film removed, and with a small desiccant capsule I got in a medicine bottle) in storage tubs, cushioned with 1" X 5" X 11" pink plastic antistatic foam (because I have an immense quantity of foam, not because of the antistatic properties).

My current project is to organize them by camera type (i.e., box-type [e.g., early Kodak], viewfinder [e.g., Argus A], rangefinder, SLR, and brand or mount type (most Sears, Ricoh, Kalimar and Vivitar 35mm film SLRs use PK mount).

A dozen at a time are displayed on a shelf in the living room.
02-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #251
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It occurs to me that if my mother had granted my wish for "a real camera" when I was 15, I'd have had a much larger collection by now. And considering her single parent budget, it would likely have been a K mount camera.
02-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #252
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Jezza - that's a huge range to cover, you could sell what like half your collection now, lol.

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote

---------- Post added 02-10-14 at 08:55 PM ----------

Hi Doug - 190? Wow, I know that collecting can be good but you have most of us beat I think

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
If we limit it to interchangeable lenses and don't count duplicates I currently have 190 lenses. I'm sure it will soon be 191.
They have been bought from 1984 up to very recently.
I remember when I gave up trying to store them in camera bags.
I enjoy picking a film camera and then a couple of lenses from the right period, load some film and shoot. For that to work I need to have some sort of system. So the lenses are organized in ventilated plastic boxes with dry gel in them, and sorted according to mount(-version). That makes it easy to find what I wan't, and provides a safe storage. No fungus yet.
Last week I finished a film in a Praktica using a handfull of Carl Zeiss Jena in PB mount. Today I've considering bringng the K2 DMD with the K30/2.8 and K105/2.8, real favorites I often return to.
I'm not realy colecting, except for Pentax-made 135mm's where I decided for fun to try to get all of them. Nearly there.
I thought I had a lot of lenses until I bought a Konica-AR-lens some years ago from a local collector and saw what he had in his garage....but the sad thing was that he didn't use any of his photo-gear....he only collected them. There are lots of good glass out there that just collect dust, while these collectors drive up the price on the rare items.
02-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #253
Veteran Member

well now i have covered, with modern AF lenses

10-20mm
30mm
35-70mm
70-200mm
150-500mm

so only 50mm of overlap, pretty sure I can ditch the TC's now though

I also have 85mm, 135mm & 300mm covered with fun Russian M42s
02-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #254
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Beaugrand - never mind all the lenses - I'd like to know where you store all those cameras, wow!

QuoteOriginally posted by Beaugrand Quote

WHL
02-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #255
Forum Member

My first "real" camera was a Minolta Autocord CDS. It had the built-in meter, and, even better, it displayed the EV. I learned more about exposure values from that camera than many classes in photography.

My first 35mm SLR was a Sears KSX, which used a PK mount. Since then, about half of the SLRs I've acquired have the PK mount.

WHL