Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 586 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #781
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Get anything interesting?
Yep ... in a junk bin, a Leitz Wetzlar Dimaron 100/2.8 projector lens for ONE EURO ... great shape.

An aus Jena MC Pancolar 50/1.8 attached to a Praktica LTL 3 for 8 euros ... the aperture is stuck wide open, but it should be an easy fix.

And I splurged on a very minty Tele-Takumar 200/5.6 with a Pentax EOM MIJ M42 to PK adapter ... 40 euros for both ... plus then found a matching case with a receipt for 2€ ... and more

11-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #782
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty good haul especially if you total the cost and divide by the number of items.
11-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #783
Veteran Member

This is hilarious - people having over 50 lenses at times, others writing that they have 'only 9'.

And here I am, counting exactly three lenses (have another DA L 18-55 non-WR kit from my K-r, doesn't count):

Pentax DA L 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 WR
Pentax SMC A 50 f/1.7
Pentax DA 35 f/2.4

I can't even afford an LBA, but I doubt I'd ever need more than 5-10 lenses. Currently trying to figure out whether I should save up for the HD 55-300 WR, the future HD 16-85 WR or a Sigma 35 f/1.4 'Art'.

Sucks to be on a student budget ...
11-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #784
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Currently trying to figure out whether I should save up for the HD 55-300 WR, the future HD 16-85 WR or a Sigma 35 f/1.4 'Art'.
Careful with the Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art. From my experience it's a bit of a tricky lens, sometimes it gets amazing results, sometimes it severely underperforms. My copy also tends to backfocus quite a bit. I got a lot more keepers from the cheap DA35mm f2.4. Consider you might need to calibrate it, or better yet, test it for focus issues when you buy it. That being said, when it gets a good shot it's well above the DA35, as it should be, considering the price. But if I'm not satisfied after the calibration, I will try to sell it and go for the FA 31

11-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #785
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Careful with the Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art. From my experience it's a bit of a tricky lens, sometimes it gets amazing results, sometimes it severely underperforms. My copy also tends to backfocus quite a bit. I got a lot more keepers from the cheap DA35mm f2.4. Consider you might need to calibrate it, or better yet, test it for focus issues when you buy it. That being said, when it gets a good shot it's well above the DA35, as it should be, considering the price. But if I'm not satisfied after the calibration, I will try to sell it and go for the FA 31
Technically a 35 mm prime isn't even a priority for me, the DA 35 f/2.4 is my strongest lens and the last one I would have to update - I just read rave reviews about the Sigma and I love this focal length, the DA 35 is my favourite walk-around lens. Realistically though I will go for the 16-85 (provided reviews show that IQ and sharpness is significantly better than my kit) as it offers so much over the kit - 16 mm over 18 mm for landscapes and architecture, a bit more tele, silent internal DC focussing (hopefully also faster). Would be the perfect walk-around for mountaineering.
11-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #786
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Sucks to be on a student budget ...
Well, it keeps one's lba in check. But I when you do scare up the scratch, I'd advocate for the HD 55-300 WR--the longer focal lengths will open up new possibilities.
11-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #787
Veteran Member

Mr FantastikMrFox. I have a friend. He owns an amateur astronomical telescope store. And he tell me that he has some costumers, which have bought small telescopes, and with it, they are making a lot of observations. And other costumers, with big and expensive telescopes, that didn't make more than 1 or 2 observations a year.

For you, I think that a 50-300mm WR, or even a cheap 70-300mm from Tamron or Sigma will be good for the time being.

11-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #788
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Mr FantastikMrFox. I have a friend. He owns an amateur astronomical telescope store. And he tell me that he has some costumers, which have bought small telescopes, and with it, they are making a lot of observations. And other costumers, with big and expensive telescopes, that didn't make more than 1 or 2 observations a year.

For you, I think that a 50-300mm WR, or even a cheap 70-300mm from Tamron or Sigma will be good for the time being.
I am aware of people buying tons of expensive equipment and hardly using it, and other people doing the same and expecting money to buy them great pictures, but I don't quite understand how that relates to me I am not a professional photographer, but I'm not a novice either. I recently acquired a K3 and I think that the sensor's outstanding image quality is wasted on cheap glass like a Tamron 70-300 or similar. I realised the importance of good glass when I purchased my first prime (the SMC A 50 f/1.7) and now prefer to save up on some high quality lenses instead of buying something that doesn't offer good image quality.

Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack the thread for some lens buying advice - back to how many lenses everybody owns
11-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #789
Veteran Member

What I wanted to say is that not always a lot of equipment is needed to make good photography. Not related to you.
11-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #790
Veteran Member

I don't know how many lenses I have. I buy old lenses when I find good deals on them. I rarely buy anything new.
11-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #791
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
What I wanted to say is that not always a lot of equipment is needed to make good photography.
This is absolutely true! Good equipment, however, makes it a lot easier and some pictures of a certain standard are almost impossible to take without the right equipment. Some examples are sports photography where you will have a very hard time getting consistent, satisfactory results without a camera and lenses with a very fast AF and decent AF.C, street photography at night where a fast prime lens is vital or wildlife photography where you'll have a hard time sneaking up to some animals if you don't own a tele There is a reason pros invest thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars into certain gear.

So yes, it is absolutely possible to take great pictures with very basic equipment, but on the other hand it can be outrightly impossible to take certain other pictures without the right equipment

This obviously doesn't really relate much to me right now as I don't shoot sports or much wildlife - I just currently consider my kit lens a bit of a bottleneck on the very large bottle that is my K3
11-10-2014, 04:18 AM   #792
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I don't know how many lenses I have. I buy old lenses when I find good deals on them. I rarely buy anything new.
Me too, but it's amazing how many good deals you can find when you spend a lot of time looking
11-10-2014, 06:14 AM   #793
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Pretty good haul especially if you total the cost and divide by the number of items.
Yeah, true ... ha!

Well, there's one I left out (actually more) ... Again in a "junk bin" in front of and below the stand.

A very nice Zeiss Ikon Voigtlander Icarex 35 S (TM - M42) camera with a nice working Zenith Helios 44M-6. Both for 10€ and I really bought it for the lens. Went home and popped a battery in and "Bingo" ... the light meter works and all ... even nicer. I took a small risk on the body being non-tested.

So, mark each of these up at 5€ a piece ...
11-10-2014, 07:46 AM   #794
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Me too, but it's amazing how many good deals you can find when you spend a lot of time looking
That's right. My best deal was a Spotmatic with a trio of Takumars for $15. I already had another version of the camera and all the lenses but for that price I couldn't resist.
11-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #795
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Very true ... and many come when you never expect them to ...

15€ at a boot sale about 8 miles from my house. Like brand new ... and that's an AF 50/1.7 to go along with the rest of my Minolta gear.