Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #616
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
magkelly - good for you to learn how to use space so effectively! I could only hope, I'd get in a little trouble at home.

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Actually nope. I live in a little tin can house. I have absolutely no room to spare. The lighting gear folds up and goes in bags under my bed. The backdrops are rolled up and stored standing up in a corner wrapped in garbage bags on PVC pipe. ALL my lenses and bodies fit in 8 ammo boxes that fit into about a 14" wide x 33" tall space plus one tall pet food O sealed box that holds the few tall lenses I have that won't fit into one of those. All my cat care crap and their toys physically takes up more room than my gear does, no kidding.

I'm very good at storing and packing things. I can literally travel to somewhere stay for a month and need only a weekender duffel bag and my usual big purse or messenger bag, and that's including packing all my camera gear that I'd need for a holiday plus a laptop, tablet, etc. When I went out to the west coast a couple of years ago the people who I got a room from were like "That's it? You're staying for two weeks and that's all you have?" As it was I ended up staying longer and I still didn't need anything else.

The key to my storing all my gear in a very small space is that it has to go under or up. I have no cabinet space for this stuff, none, nada, zip...

08-18-2014, 07:35 AM   #617

Photos: Gallery
Actually nope. I live in a little tin can house. I have absolutely no room to spare. The lighting gear folds up and goes in bags under my bed. The backdrops are rolled up and stored standing up in a corner wrapped in garbage bags on PVC pipe. ALL my lenses and bodies fit in 8 ammo boxes that fit into about a 14" wide x 33" tall space plus one tall pet food O sealed box that holds the few tall lenses I have that won't fit into one of those. All my cat care crap and their toys physically takes up more room than my gear does, no kidding.

I'm very good at storing and packing things. I can literally travel to somewhere stay for a month and need only a weekender duffel bag and my usual big purse or messenger bag, and that's including packing all my camera gear that I'd need for a holiday plus a laptop, tablet, etc. When I went out to the west coast a couple of years ago the people who I got a room from were like "That's it? You're staying for two weeks and that's all you have?" As it was I ended up staying longer and I still didn't need anything else.

The key to my storing all my gear in a very small space is that it has to go under or up. I have no cabinet space for this stuff, none, nada, zip...
I never cared for the metal green ammo boxes, but I saw some nice plastic ones last time I was in Gander Mountain that would work for that. I just keep my stuff in multiple camera bags.

---------- Post added 08-18-14 at 07:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by oscaletrains Quote
Now THAT is news to me. Course I stopped reading about "new" cameras (except the Q) after I bought the K10d...maybe I should start reading again.

Ok, I read some...saving up for a 3 now, thanks a lot...
08-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #618
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ALL my lenses and bodies fit in 8 ammo boxes that fit into about a 14" wide x 33" tall space plus one tall pet food O sealed box that holds the few tall lenses I have that won't fit into one of those. All my cat care crap and their toys physically takes up more room than my gear does, no kidding
Sweet set up! I only keep ammo in my cans. I see the beginnings of a new forum club: Pentax Preppers club! How to keep your camera gear safe from the end of the world!
08-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #619
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by oscaletrains Quote
Ok, I read some...saving up for a 3 now, thanks a lot...

My pleasure

08-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #620
Veteran Member

Ammo Cans for Ammo Storage by MTM

I use the 50mm ones, black or zombie. They're WR dry boxes with O seals and they seem to work pretty well and stack nicely. (I wouldn't submerge one. WR not WS!) Amazon has them for under $10 most of the time...
08-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #621

Just 4 lenses here..

28mm f2.8 M
135mm f3.5 M
Auto-Chinon 50mm f1.9 - incredibly good for the cheap price!!
Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 (8 element) - this is my main lens

i'm not really interested in zoom lenses for the kind of photos i shoot and i like to get closer with a 50mm

Last edited by Lxlxlx; 08-22-2014 at 08:15 AM.
08-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #622
Veteran Member

Original Poster
magkelly-I just wonder how many people use ammo boxes for storing their lenses?

Ammo Cans for Ammo Storage by MTM

I use the 50mm ones, black or zombie. They're WR dry boxes with O seals and they seem to work pretty well and stack nicely. (I wouldn't submerge one. WR not WS!) Amazon has them for under $10 most of the time...

---------- Post added 08-22-14 at 08:57 AM ----------

Lxlxlx - More portraits, street shooting, and landscapes then? 4 lenses is a very manageable level.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lxlxlx Quote
Just 4 lenses here..

28mm f2.8 M
135mm f3.5 M
Auto-Chinon 50mm f1.9 - incredibly good for the cheap price!!
Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 (8 element) - this is my main lens

i'm not really interested in zoom lenses for the kind of photos i shoot and i like to get closer with a 50mm

08-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #623
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richardwong Quote
magkelly-I just wonder how many people use ammo boxes for storing their lenses?
it is a much better use than the intended one Just a north of the boarder point of view
08-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #624

I like to do landscapes or close distance scenes using 50mm.. It feels more natural to compose images with it and i tend to shoot what i see outside of the viewfinder. So it makes me easily compose outside the camera.
08-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #625
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I heard there is a variety of LBA now that has become resistant to antibiotics...
08-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #626
Pentaxian

Lxlxlx, do you shoot film or digital? I'm guessing film.

Is 12 lenses too much? That's where I am at the moment in my Pentax setup (plus 2 in my Minolta film setup).

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I heard there is a variety of LBA now that has become resistant to antibiotics...
I'm pretty sure that's the one I got still, I'm nowhere as bad as some people here. That's my excuse.
08-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #627
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Typical for the LBA is also the periods where the patient appears to improve and even sell some lenses. But that is just a strategy of the LBA to spread faster. Everyone buying those lense will catch LBA themselves and soon the original patient start to buy more lenes again at an even higher rate than before...
08-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #628

yes just film shooting here!
08-23-2014, 12:29 AM   #629
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
resistant to antibiotics...
Also resistant to insufficient funds!!
08-23-2014, 05:12 AM   #630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter