Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2017, 03:18 AM   #1471

Photos: Gallery
Of those that mount on my Pentax cameras currently 52 in some form of K mount, plus another 18 in M42 & 6 adaptall lenses.
Then there are enlarger lenses & the like that can be adapted...
There are a few K mount swaps I can safely get rid off but deciding which is the copy to keep has taken a long time
Numbers for my other camera systems (a Werra rangefinder, Micro 4/3s kit & 5x4 monorail) are less extensive

09-15-2017, 04:54 AM   #1472
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
The two 50mm might have to go in exchange for a FA43. I am still thinking (very hard).
You'd still have the 100 macro, so I'd say it's a good hypothesis. I just replaced the DA40 LTD and F50 F1.7 with the FA43 and boy, do I love that lens! The others were great, excellent and reliable, but the 43 is something special.
09-15-2017, 10:36 PM   #1473
Pentaxian

I only have 5, and trying to keep it down to 4. Using all of them quite extensive.

DA15
DA21
FA50 macro
M50 f1.7
DFA100 wr

The two 50mm might have to go in exchange for a FA43. I am still thinking (very hard).
Nothing between 21mm and 50mm???

What you need, my friend, is a DA 35mm macro limited...
09-24-2017, 04:22 PM   #1474
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Nothing between 21mm and 50mm???

What you need, my friend, is a DA 35mm macro limited...
you are absolutely right. I am thinking of 35 ltd right now.

---------- Post added 09-25-17 at 08:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
You'd still have the 100 macro, so I'd say it's a good hypothesis. I just replaced the DA40 LTD and F50 F1.7 with the FA43 and boy, do I love that lens! The others were great, excellent and reliable, but the 43 is something special.
thank you for confirmation. 43 and 35 ltd seem to be the way to go for me right now.

09-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #1475
Veteran Member

you are absolutely right. I am thinking of 35 ltd right now.

---------- Post added 09-25-17 at 08:24 AM ----------

thank you for confirmation. 43 and 35 ltd seem to be the way to go for me right now.
You will love the DA 35 Limited Macro it is an awesome piece of glass.
09-25-2017, 11:32 AM   #1476

I've just seven so far, all of them Pentax except for a Samyang 24mm TS. I'd have had that in Pentax too, but they don't make one! Sometimes out of interest I look at the prices online, and they cost a fortune. It's amazing, and frightening, how much I've spent. They're all in regular use, though, but the 16-85 is on around 60% of the time. Lovely lens.
09-25-2017, 11:14 PM   #1477
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
After years of trying out lenses I've kept just six:

• Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f/2.8
• Zeiss Distagon T* 28mm f/2
• Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm f/2
• Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4
• Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar SLII 90mm f/3.5
• Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 135mm f/2

09-26-2017, 03:42 AM   #1478
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
After shooting Pentax for over 30 years I would be afraid to count. I have lenses in places that I forgot exist.
Hahaha, same situation here
Now LBA has dried up to a trickle, cause I already have many of the lenses I desired... and those I still crave for are way too expensive for my current finances (and in practice some would be a duplicate of a cheaper lens I already own).
So I just patiently wait for a second hand occasion involving some recent Korean/Chinese stuff that has caught my attention, but is still almost impossible to find on the used market.
Maybe sooner or later my restraint will be rewarded with a gently used Samyang 135mm or Laowa 105mm STM
In the meantime, I'm enjoying my latest purchases:
apart an old Leitz Milar for bellows use (which is in no way a travel lens... unless I brought all my super-macro paraphernalia), I have with me all the recent acquisitions in my travel bag.
I still have to try the Peleng 8mm on FF, though I already started testing a Soligor (Tokina made) 2/135mm, and a Leitz Elmarit M 2.8/135mm. The former had been in my radar for long, and the latter shares the adapter/helicoid with the Summicron 2/90mm (one of my preferred lenses).

Having many lenses, acquired over a long span of time, and spread in a few different places, is a sure source of surprises. Mostly good, some bad.
I lost sight of my Pentax-M 40mm pancake long ago. I thought it got lost or stolen, and about a month ago I found it, in place of the body cap of my old LX
Other times having stuff in the wrong place is not conducive to nice surprises. Of all the lenses I left in Thailand during 3 months of rainy season (which has been super rainy!), the most valuable one was attacked by fungal growth. It's my Sigma 120-400mm, that I had just got back from Sigma with updated firmware and modified bayonet, ready for the K-1
Interestingly, all the other objectives are perfectly fine. All of them were in a kind of lockable wooden safe, with a dehumidifier box in it, and an airtight plastic box containing the lenses. The only difference: the Sigma zoom was "protected" by its original black case.
Let's learn from errors. In hot, humid climates, lens cases might be good for protection during transport, NOT for storage!
Fortunately it seems that the two spots of fungus are located between the two front glasses, but my idiotic choice will cost me some good money. I don't dare to clean by myself modern AF zooms!

I hope my stories about pleasures and misfortunes of a fan of old (and not so old) lenses were of some use... or at least entertaining

Cheers

Paolo

09-26-2017, 06:59 AM   #1479
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only own three K-mount lenses

that were not made by Asahi/Pentax. I think I currently have 30 K-mount lenses (and one M42 lens). Four of those I've basically never used, and there are a few others I'd hardly miss if I no longer had them. Really ought to thin the herd somewhat, to free up some storage space if nothing else, but selling so often seems like more hassle than it's worth, at least for the lower-priced items. At least I have sold off some stuff over the years, including 9 K-mount or M42 lenses.

Also have seven Pentax 645 lenses and four large-format lenses; they're getting the most use these days. And two Pentax Q lenses, and a few oddities for extreme macro.
09-26-2017, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #1480
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
After years of trying out lenses I've kept just six:

• Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f/2.8
• Zeiss Distagon T* 28mm f/2
• Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm f/2
• Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4
• Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar SLII 90mm f/3.5
• Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 135mm f/2

Well. Just six, but these belong to special category called "best of the best"
09-26-2017, 09:25 AM - 2 Likes   #1481
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Well. Just six, but these belong to special category called "best of the best"
If I were to choose the best of that group it's the Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 135mm f/2. I had to Leitax one I picked up used from Lens Authority but it's rendering of color, micro contrast, 3D effect, etc. is really something. I mention it because it is relatively undiscovered by Pentaxians.

Last edited by les3547; 09-27-2017 at 08:35 PM.
10-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #1482
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
If I were to choose the best of that group it's the Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 135mm f/2 . I had to Leitax one I picked up used from Lens Authority but it's rendering of color, micro contrast, 3D effect, etc. is really something. I mention it because it is relatively undiscovered by Pentaxians.
Pentax has so many good to really good 100 & 135mm, that I've never even felt the need to search for more (not for a 1'000$ beast anyway...).
10-03-2017, 07:33 PM   #1483
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
In hot, humid climates, lens cases might be good for protection during transport, NOT for storage!
That was my instinct from the git-go.
10-03-2017, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #1484
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Even though none of my lenses came with a "must use" clause, I suppose it really is time to re-do a Daily Challenge with one new lens every day for a month. Of course, the last time I did that I had 31 lenses
After nearly 20 year’s of buying, trying and selling cameras and lenses it is time to concentrate on selling. I have raised the price ceiling the last few months and several ‘never gonna happen’ lenses happened. Not the A*1200/8 though. Or the FA*250~600.

If I did a lens-a-week challenge it would take more than a year. At least 25 of them I just have, for no apparent reason.

I found a shoebox on a shelf with 7 never-used K bodies I had long ago bought as a lot to get the split-image focusing screens. It would take 6 months to combine camera-a-week and lens-a-week

I actually use only 15 lenses regularly; they’re the ones in my camera bags. If I sold everything I haven’t used in a year, I’d have 5 cameras and fewer than 25 lenses.

Thankfully I used the LX, MX and KX recently.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-03-2017 at 08:51 PM.
10-04-2017, 05:01 AM   #1485
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I actually use only 15 lenses regularly; they’re the ones in my camera bags.
Which camera bag is that? I find it hard to stuff all of my 6 most-used lenses in the bag along with a flash...