Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2018, 03:45 AM   #1621

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I posted these in a couple other threads, might as well here too...

:-O

Well, that's not passion for photography. It's passion for camera gear!!!

08-24-2018, 09:21 PM   #1622

Currently I Own
FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited
SMC DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR Lens
SMC DA 50mm f/1.8 Lens
SMC Pentax-M 80-200mm F4.5

Someday I hope to get the
DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR Lens
08-24-2018, 11:20 PM   #1623
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Currently I have 4 lenses:

A 20/2.8
A 50/1.2 Special
FA 31/1.8
DA 18-250/3.5~6.3

The 31 is my favourite lens and it almost never come off the K-1.

This year I’ve been into the K-system for 10 years. In that time I’ve had a lot of lenses:

DA 15/4, 21/3.2, 35/2.8, 55/1.4, 12-24/4, 16-50/2.8, 50-135/2.8, 60-250/4

FA 43/1.9, 400/5.6

A 28/2.8

I was very passionate about lenses but since the last couple of years my passion has switched towards photography.

I still love the feeling when you use high quality gear but it’s not that important anymore. I guess that’s why I still have my wonder piece of glass and metal, the A 50/1.2 Special.

But my dream set up right now would be to complete my FA 31 with the brand new 50/1.4 and the D FA 70-200/2.8.
08-30-2018, 05:05 PM   #1624
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Some just dont get used,they dont yell loud enough "take me,Take me"...Yes the Takumars go with the early Fuji system.The Manual K mounts get spread around.
How do you like the Taks with the Fuji system? I used to love the colours coming out of my Fuji bridge zoom camera before I came to Pentax.

---------- Post added 08-30-18 at 05:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by shaylouway Quote
Wow! I really must get going on accumulating lenses! I still manage with only 2 😉
That's just blasphemy, only 2 lenses. What are they, lol?

---------- Post added 08-30-18 at 05:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by alvaro_garcia Quote
Ok, without taking into account film cameras and other digital systems, these are the ones I do own to match my Pentax K1:

1× Pentax 24-70 f/2.8
1× Zeiss Distagon 25 f/2.8
1× Zeiss Distagon 28 f/2
3× Zeiss Distagon 35 f/2

Now, taking into account my other digital gear, I do have 6× more lenses (Canon mount).

Plus other 7× compact cameras (APS-C and 1/1.7") with their fixed lenses.

And now talking about film cameras... Ufffffff... I can't remember. Quite a "few" (Fujica, Canon, Olympus, Minolta, Sigma...)

AlvaraGarcia - how do you like the Distagons, are they as nice as the 3 princesses?

---------- Post added 08-30-18 at 05:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bethor Quote
Currently I Own
FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited
SMC DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR Lens
SMC DA 50mm f/1.8 Lens
SMC Pentax-M 80-200mm F4.5

Someday I hope to get the
DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR Lens
Bethor - A very nice lens and a versatile few. Nice.

---------- Post added 08-30-18 at 05:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by x-country Quote
Currently I have 4 lenses:

A 20/2.8
A 50/1.2 Special
FA 31/1.8
DA 18-250/3.5~6.3

The 31 is my favourite lens and it almost never come off the K-1.

This year I’ve been into the K-system for 10 years. In that time I’ve had a lot of lenses:

DA 15/4, 21/3.2, 35/2.8, 55/1.4, 12-24/4, 16-50/2.8, 50-135/2.8, 60-250/4

FA 43/1.9, 400/5.6

A 28/2.8

I was very passionate about lenses but since the last couple of years my passion has switched towards photography.

I still love the feeling when you use high quality gear but it’s not that important anymore. I guess that’s why I still have my wonder piece of glass and metal, the A 50/1.2 Special.

But my dream set up right now would be to complete my FA 31 with the brand new 50/1.4 and the D FA 70-200/2.8.
x-country: Nice to have that passion for photography versus collecting gear that so many of us have.

08-30-2018, 05:40 PM   #1625
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richardwong Quote
How do you like the Taks with the Fuji system?
Yes,nice....Film era lenses with the most "filmic" of the Fuji sensors(Xe-1 and X Pro-1)...i like that the Takumars really match the look of the bodies as well.Some people i encounter comment on the fact that they are "old" cameras.Ha Ha,they just store stuff digitally though.

A pretty inexpensive way for reasonable images(still) but plenty of fun.
08-31-2018, 01:09 AM   #1626

How do you like the Taks with the Fuji system? I used to love the colours coming out of my Fuji bridge zoom camera before I came to Pentax.

---------- Post added 08-30-18 at 05:06 PM ----------

That's just blasphemy, only 2 lenses. What are they, lol?

---------- Post added 08-30-18 at 05:07 PM ----------

AlvaraGarcia - how do you like the Distagons, are they as nice as the 3 princesses?

---------- Post added 08-30-18 at 05:08 PM ----------

Bethor - A very nice lens and a versatile few. Nice.

---------- Post added 08-30-18 at 05:10 PM ----------

x-country: Nice to have that passion for photography versus collecting gear that so many of us have.
I haven't tried/tested "the 3 princesses" (I guess you are talking about the 3 famous metal made "Limited" FA Pentax lenses: 31, 43 and 77mm, right?).

The Zeiss are amazing: solidly built as any other, so sharp (center to corners), so contrasty, so bright... The color rendition is also superb, they're very neutral. But as the Pentax K1 color rendition already leans towards the "cold" side, using these Zeiss with the K1 will deliver a bit "clinical" colors. Besides, the Pentax/Tamron lens is a bit "warm", so matching it with the "cold" K1 delivers in my opinion the right and perfect color rendition, a little bit more attractive and naturally saturated (just a little bit) than the Zeiss.

ZEISS PLUSES:
The Zeiss are the best ones when it comes to:
- Sharpness (center to corners).
- Contrast.
- Maximum brightness of 2.0.
- Less distorsion.
- Very compact but extremely solid and robust. It's lighter than the Pentax, but denser.
- They are much cheaper than the Pentax 24-70, either used or brand new (although Zeiss does not produce the Pentax "K" mount any more-).
- Materials and build quality: metal (no plastic), highest quality optic glass and coatings, smooth and precise to operate, with minimum tolerances. The whole sensation of QUALITY is absolute.

ZEISS MINUSES:
- Focusing manually with them is a challenge (I only use them with landscape photography: focus to infinite).
- Fixed focal length lenses uaually give the best image quality, but lack the versatility of a zoom.
- The colors, while being excellent, but they are a bit too "clinical" when matching with the already "cold" rendition of the K1, hence the result is just that, a bit "clinical". Possibly these Zeiss are a better match for those cameras with "warm" tones like the Canons, I don't know.
- Some noticeable purple fringing on the corners, but nothing annoying.

PENTAX/TAMRON PLUSES:
- The AF is very practical.
- The versatility of the zoom range (24-70).
- The color rendition of Tamron lenses is a bit "warm" and I don't like them at all when paired with already "warm" cameras like Canon, specially for landscape photography (green color tonalities from vegetation are usualy rendered more brownish and look much "drier" than other brands like Nikon and Pentax for instance, and that's the result of matching a "warm" camera like Canon with a "warm" lens like Tamron). However, when paired with the "cold" K1, the result when it comes to color rendition is a bit more equilibrated and look a little bit more pleasing, maybe one of the best possible matches for the K1, color wise.
- It lacks the purple fringing aberration observed on the Zeiss lenses.

PENTAX/TAMRON MINUSES:
- Noticeably less sharp (specially on the corners) than the Zeiss. And that, when shooting with a high resolution camera, can be a big minus if you are a pixel peeper, unless you never crop, print on big format or never zoom-in the images when viewing them.
- Less contrasty than the Zeiss. In addition to the less sharpness, you will certainly lose textures and details compared to Zeiss. But again, not a major problem if you don't zoom-in or you don't crop or print on big format.
- This lens is "only" 2.8 and the difference of two half stops in brightness with the Zeiss 2.0 starts to be noticeable, specially at the sunsets, etc.
- The distorsion of this lens is much more evident than the Zeiss, specially at wide angle focal lengths.
- Much bulkier and heavier than the Zeiss (and bigger/more expensive filters).
- Extremely pricey for what it is. I paid way over 1000€ for it. For this price I bought TWO Zeiss Distagon lenses which in the end are better (in both: build quality and image quality). It's expensive, it's costy, but it doesn't correspond to its overall quality at all.
- The build quality is also much poorer when compared to any of my Zeiss Distagons: high grade plastic (but plastic), less quality glass (if no policarbonate, what I ignore), as well as not as fine to operate with and with bigger tolerances. I'm not saying its quality is bad by any means, but once you have on your hands the Zeiss Distagons and feel their top build quality (when I say "top" I really mean "TOP"): all metal, real optic glass, the robustness, density, precise focusing ring, the unique Z* coatings... then you realize how "poor" all the other plastic-made lenses are and you easily start to forgive and forget the very few and little/minor flaws the Distagons may have.

SUMMARIZING:
- When visiting cities and doing street photography (focusing short to medium distances, what is a real challenge for the Distagons), you can benefit from Pentax's more practical zoom focal length range and AF, and it's my companion for those occasions.
- When shooting landscapes (focusing mainly to infinite), I do prefer the Zeiss, they are sharper, more contrasty, brighter, with less distorsion and overall better image/build quality.

I'd love to have AF Zeiss lenses for my K1, they would be simply perfect, but they don't exist.

I'd also like to test the Pentax FA 31mm Limited lens (which is the closer equivalent focal length to my 28 and 35mm Distagons) and compare all three side by side, but unfortunately I can't.

Last edited by alvaro_garcia; 09-01-2018 at 03:38 AM.
08-31-2018, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #1627
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes,nice....Film era lenses with the most "filmic" of the Fuji sensors(Xe-1 and X Pro-1)...i like that the Takumars really match the look of the bodies as well.Some people i encounter comment on the fact that they are "old" cameras.Ha Ha,they just store stuff digitally though.

A pretty inexpensive way for reasonable images(still) but plenty of fun.
Nice for street shooting I'm sure.

08-31-2018, 02:25 PM   #1628
Pentaxian

Nice for street shooting
Yes.
09-30-2018, 01:44 PM   #1629
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've just downsized quite a bit this last Thursday. I traded all except two of my MF lenses for a D FA 150-450 plus some cash left over. All I have now are:

D FA 28-105
D FA 150-450
FA 43
Tamron SP 70-200

And the two left over MF lenses:

A 70-210
Takumar 135 Bayonet.

However LBA is raising its ugly head. There's a very nice F 24-50 f/4 at the camera store. Hmmm.
09-30-2018, 01:51 PM   #1630
Pentaxian

Glad to hear that you did a recount. Are you happy with the number or would you like more?
More! 67 now, one more on the way. But i've decided to slow down a bit so I can buy a few classics that cost a bit more.
09-30-2018, 02:03 PM   #1631
Veteran Member

Too many and yet, not enough. I have reduced the count this year as I promised myself when the New Year rolled around. I have acquired a number of other items like bags and flash accesorties rather than lenses this year. And a lens or two I must admit. but I have sold at least three so I am down numbers wise in preparation for the new DA*11-18.
09-30-2018, 03:15 PM   #1632
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Currently:

645: 6 primes (35-150) - seriously considering selling the lot.
K mount: 8 zooms (10-450), 22 primes (12-300) and a teleconverter - some minor trimming required
Q mount: 2 zooms, 3 primes and a K mount adaptor - all keepers.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 09-30-2018 at 06:08 PM.
09-30-2018, 05:14 PM   #1633
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Currently:

645: 6 primes (35-150) - seriously considering selling the lot.
K mount: 8 zooms (10-450), 22 primes (12-300) and a teleconverter - some minor trimming required
Q mount: 1 zoom, 4 primes and a K mount adaptor - all keepers.
You should open up the "Hancock Pentax Museum"
09-30-2018, 06:10 PM   #1634
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oops. A couple of errors. Fixed
10-01-2018, 12:54 AM   #1635
Pentaxian

I'm thinking it may be time for me to do a re-count or maybe even load everything into a spreadsheet to keep track of what I have, how much I paid for it, how much I later sold it for (where applicable) etc.