Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2021, 02:43 PM   #1831
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Probably still cheaper hobby than a nice boat but not by much
Cheaper than my other hobby of flying plus with lenses you have something tangible that actually does not lose too much value over time.

06-24-2021, 01:02 AM   #1832
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
About 15 years.
And how long did it take you to list them what a spectacular collection of beautiful glass. I am in awe
06-24-2021, 03:14 AM   #1833
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
And how long did it take you to list them what a spectacular collection of beautiful glass. I am in awe
I started list when I just had a few lenses and just added to it with each new lens. Now that I have started collecting Leica-R lenses, the list is growing more slowly because of the higher cost per lens!
06-24-2021, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #1834
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
About 15 years.
You have a bad case of LBA, compounded by the fact that you shoot multiple formats.

I only have about 70, and it took 40 years to get there so maybe I need to buy another format, or perhaps get a mirrorless, so I can use multiple mounts with adaptors

06-24-2021, 04:12 AM - 5 Likes   #1835
Pentaxian

Because of covid I found myself stuck in Italy (since February 2020),with little funds to buy new lenses... but with plenty of time to organize and nicely display the huge number of camera lenses I already own.
I'm not done, but I made some progress...
For the moment all the large format stuff hasn't come out of the boxes. There will be a new (at least 150 years old) piece of furniture where my best historical glasses will be exposed behind glasses. On top there will be enough space for a couple of wooden folding cameras that will please the eye :-)

In the following pictures:
1) rotating (and illuminated) piece of furniture - original manual Pentaxes side
2) rotating (and illuminated) piece of furniture - third party PK lenses
3) part of the PKAF lenses
4) old cupboard with about 100 M42 lenses
5) other view, with a few odd lenses and two white boxes containing micro, enlarging, (short focal) repro, microscope optics

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 06-24-2021 at 09:59 AM.
06-24-2021, 06:18 AM   #1836
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
You have a bad case of LBA, compounded by the fact that you shoot multiple formats.

I only have about 70, and it took 40 years to get there so maybe I need to buy another format, or perhaps get a mirrorless, so I can use multiple mounts with adaptors
My acronym for your potentially-expanded hobby is LBABA - Lens, Body, Adapter Buying Addiction I suffer from it after buying a Sony A7ii in March 2020. Now I have lenses in Pentax K (from original K to the latest), M42, Nikon, Minolta, Olympus, Exacta, Sony E and FE. I will count them and then re-join this thread in a few days.
06-24-2021, 06:41 AM   #1837
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Because of covid I found myself stuck in Italy (since February 2020),with little funds to buy new lenses... but with plenty of time to organize and nicely display the huge number of camera lenses I already owned.

1) rotating (and illuminated) piece of furniture - original manual Pentaxes side
5) other view, with a few odd lenses and two white boxes containing micro, enlarging, (short focal) repro, microscope optics
That was really fun to look through and try to identify some. You have a fantastic collection. Some really special lenses in there.

06-24-2021, 06:43 AM   #1838
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
My acronym for your potentially-expanded hobby is LBABA - Lens, Body, Adapter Buying Addiction I suffer from it after buying a Sony A7ii in March 2020. Now I have lenses in Pentax K (from original K to the latest), M42, Nikon, Minolta, Olympus, Exacta, Sony E and FE. I will count them and then re-join this thread in a few days.
Maybe I should list all my lens adapters. I have adapters P67 - P645, P67 - K, P645 - K, M42 - K, (Pentacon) P-6 -645, P6 - K, (Mamiya) M645 - K, (Minolta) MN - K, and (Leica) LR - K. There are multiple copies of all these adapters, so there are maybe 20-25 adapters. You quickly learn to buy the best adapters available to prevent your lens becoming stuck on to the camera, falling off the camera, or wiggling around loose on the camera. The best adapters I have found are the ones manufactured by Pentax.
06-25-2021, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #1839
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
That was really fun to look through and try to identify some. You have a fantastic collection. Some really special lenses in there.
A few of the big fellows are not in the pictures, and many commonly used objectives (especially AF) were left in Thailand before covid disrupted... well, mostly everything. Fortunately most of my most loved PK and PKAF lenses are in the pics. Which means I had them with me all this time :-)
I fixed a few of them and had the pleasure to re-discover the character of some old manual lenses that had never been used on full frame (and some of them never touched a digital camera before!).
Some people seem to enjoy very much the pleasure of acquiring something that they desire. Unfortunately many of them forget very easily that thrill and quickly move on to another object of desire. I found that I still enjoy a lot rediscovering old purchases, maybe because some of them had been stored for long in another house and found little or no practical use. Handling a lens I bought in the seventies, and shooting actual pictures on my beloved K-1, proved to be as exciting as when I actually acquired it. Nicely displaying the lenses for the pleasure of my own eyes has been - and still is - almost as enjoyable. Choosing and fixing the furniture for the scope was also part of the fun. I guess other pentaxians with large lens collections would enjoy very much getting caught in a similar project...

Regarding the lenses in the first 3 pictures, would you mind telling which of the lenses you identified caught your attention? I'm curious

Cheers
Paolo

06-25-2021, 04:14 AM   #1840
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Me who thought I was some kind of "hoarder" for having amassed over 60 Pentax optics over 30 years ... LOL !

Best Regards to you all, particularly to Ivan !

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 06-25-2021 at 06:08 AM.
06-25-2021, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #1841
Pentaxian

A few of the big fellows are not in the pictures, and many commonly used objectives (especially AF) were left in Thailand before covid disrupted... well, mostly everything. Fortunately most of my most loved PK and PKAF lenses are in the pics. Which means I had them with me all this time :-)
I fixed a few of them and had the pleasure to re-discover the character of some old manual lenses that had never been used on full frame (and some of them never touched a digital camera before!).
Some people seem to enjoy very much the pleasure of acquiring something that they desire. Unfortunately many of them forget very easily that thrill and quickly move on to another object of desire. I found that I still enjoy a lot rediscovering old purchases, maybe because some of them had been stored for long in another house and found little or no practical use. Handling a lens I bought in the seventies, and shooting actual pictures on my beloved K-1, proved to be as exciting as when I actually acquired it. Nicely displaying the lenses for the pleasure of my own eyes has been - and still is - almost as enjoyable. Choosing and fixing the furniture for the scope was also part of the fun. I guess other pentaxians with large lens collections would enjoy very much getting caught in a similar project...

Regarding the lenses in the first 3 pictures, would you mind telling which of the lenses you identified caught your attention? I'm curious

Cheers
Paolo
Yes, I agree very much about the K-1 bringing these lenses to life in a new way. That has been my experience as well. While it wasn't my original intention for purchasing a K-1, it is the reason I keep the K-1 even though I am shooting APSC for many other reasons. Some really special images with that camera and older lenses. That would be especially neat rediscovering lenses you have bought and used many decades before! I have only recently been collecting lenses over the last few years.

Well, I was admiring your A* series in the top left of the first picture. Those are particularly hard to come by and quite legendary. I don't know if I've ever seen that many in one picture except for old Pentax adverts, so that was something special. The second picture was actually my next favorite looking at the F series lenses. That is where I have been concentrating on my collection for some time. It seemed like a good fit as they are excellent optically, and some on the rarer side making them fun to collect, but still relatively affordable. Right now I have the 28 2.8, 50 1.7, 100 2.8 and 135 2.8. I am contemplating if I want to grab the two other 50's. I will probably skip the 85 soft (I can't quite tell if that's one of yours, top shelf next to the FA 28mm?). Might move onto some of the rarer F zooms, like the 24-50. We'll see

Oh, and I do really like your cabinetry. You did a great job with it. I'll try and take a picture of my shelf setup with my lenses, because it's quite comical (I think). Not nearly as elegant, but functional!

I have several other lenses, some older some newer, but these are my pride and joy right now.

Last edited by Snapppy; 06-25-2021 at 07:16 AM.
06-26-2021, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #1842
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote

Well, I was admiring your A* series in the top left of the first picture. Those are particularly hard to come by and quite legendary. I don't know if I've ever seen that many in one picture except for old Pentax adverts, so that was something special. The second picture was actually my next favorite looking at the F series lenses. That is where I have been concentrating on my collection for some time. It seemed like a good fit as they are excellent optically, and some on the rarer side making them fun to collect, but still relatively affordable. Right now I have the 28 2.8, 50 1.7, 100 2.8 and 135 2.8. I am contemplating if I want to grab the two other 50's. I will probably skip the 85 soft (I can't quite tell if that's one of yours, top shelf next to the FA 28mm?). Might move onto some of the rarer F zooms, like the 24-50. We'll see
I like your set of Pentax-F lenses!
I own a few (some missing from the picture I posted), but none of those you own. I especially like the 135mm, I wanted to buy one but I never found it for a decent price.
The 100mm macro is also very desirable. I have the FA version.
If you have a special liking for the F family of lenses I suggest the 50mm macro. It's one of the best Pentax lenses ever. It's also one of my most loved optics. It would be a perfect mate for your 100mm macro.
Another very good Pentax-F is the 70-210 mm. These lenses look a bit weird and wobbly, but the internal construction is solid. Kind of old fashioned, despite the appearance. Unfortunately the use in manual focus is not very easy.
I'm very curious about the 24-50mm, people post positive reviews of that zoom. I have the 24-90mm FA, which I found to be not so bad, not at all.

Regarding your question, yes the lens you spotted is the Pentax-F 85mm soft focus. The 28mm is the FA soft focus. Underneath there is the Pentax 67 120mm soft focus with the original adapter ring for Pentax K. In the other picture there is the another soft focus, the all-manual SMC Pentax 2.2/85mm. I guess it can be taken as a statement of appreciation for Pentax S-F designs :-)

Recently I experimented with Pentax 67 and 645 lenses fitted on my K-1, and I'm also trying Pentax-110 lenses on m4/3.
This is a 20-40mm zoom mounted on an old Olympus E-PL3 (using an adapter with iris).

06-26-2021, 06:24 PM - 2 Likes   #1843
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Primes:
Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro
smc Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited
HD Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited
smc Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4
smc Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited
smc Pentax D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro WR

Zooms:
HD Pentax DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 ED DC AW
smc Pentax DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR
smc Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 ED [IF] SDM
HD Pentax DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE

Vintage:
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f/1.4
Pentacon 50mm f/1.8
Industar-50-2 50mm f/3.5
Helios-44-2 58mm f/2
06-26-2021, 06:36 PM - 3 Likes   #1844
Veteran Member

Honestly if I counted the number of lens (or cameras) I have.. I would have to face the reality that I have a problem and need help... its easier not to do that.. so .. I will just say I have "Alot". I buy often and sell rarely ....so they add up after decades.

Al
06-26-2021, 08:30 PM - 3 Likes   #1845
Pentaxian

Because of covid I found myself stuck in Italy (since February 2020),with little funds to buy new lenses... but with plenty of time to organize and nicely display the huge number of camera lenses I already own.
For the moment all the large format stuff hasn't come out of the boxes. There will be a new (at least 150 years old) piece of furniture where my best historical glasses will be exposed behind glasses. On top there will be enough space for a couple of wooden folding cameras that will please the eye :-)

That's almost as many lenses as my wife's shoe collection. How do you choose which shoe...err....lens to go out with that day