Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 586 Likes Search this Thread
06-26-2021, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #1846
Pentaxian

I thought I was being extravagant with 12 Pentax lenses but now I see that I have barely started compared to some here!

Pentax just makes amazing lenses. People talk about Minolta colors, well you can definitely say there is something like "Pentax colors", esp with the 12-24mm and the Limited series.

With my current line up, I am thinking about just keeping the lenses in bold and selling the rest as they are the ones I like the most:

Pentax HD DA 15mm f/4 ED AL Limited (Red ring)

Pentax SMC DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited (Green ring)

Pentax SMC DA 50mm f/1.8

Pentax SMC DFA Macro 100mm f/2.8 WR

Pentax SMC DA*300mm f/4 ED (IF) SDM

Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x SHQ Teleconverter for Pentax

Pentax SMC DA 12-24mm f/4 ED AL (IF) (Bit bulky but amazing IQ)

Pentax SMC DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR (X2)

Pentax HD DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE

Pentax SMC DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED - (1st gen)

Pentax SMC DAL 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR (kit lens with K50 but surprisingly good IQ)

Pentax SMC DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL (1st gen kit lens with K100D)

...and that is not counting the 10 or so non-Pentax lenses I have for Minolta and Nikon.

People talk about Minolta colors, well you can definitely say there is something like "Pentax colors", esp with the 12-24mm and the Limited series.

Last edited by Theov39; 05-10-2022 at 02:54 AM.
06-27-2021, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #1847
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
I am thinking about just keeping the lenses in bold and selling the rest as they are the ones I like the most:
So it seems you have singled out your zooms for potential sale and keeping the primes. If you did choose to keep any zooms, I would think they would be (in order) 12-24mm, 55-300 RE PLM, and 18-135. But depends on what you prioritize (wide angle, weather resistance, convenience, etc.).

Nice collection!
06-27-2021, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #1848
Pentaxian

Maybe one day this summer I'll do a comprehensive catalogue of the lenses I have.

06-27-2021, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #1849
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
So it seems you have singled out your zooms for potential sale and keeping the primes. If you did choose to keep any zooms, I would think they would be (in order) 12-24mm, 55-300 RE PLM, and 18-135. But depends on what you prioritize (wide angle, weather resistance, convenience, etc.).

Nice collection!
Due to their small size and great IQ, I really do prefer the primes.

Your suggested order for keeping the zooms is exactly what I think, esp. the 12-24. That lens keeps jumping back onto the 'OTH, keep' list!

Last edited by Theov39; 07-06-2021 at 07:14 PM.
06-28-2021, 01:09 AM   #1850

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Honestly if I counted the number of lens (or cameras) I have.. I would have to face the reality that I have a problem and need help... its easier not to do that.. so .. I will just say I have "Alot". I buy often and sell rarely ....so they add up after decades.
Al
Hehe, I also don't do an exact count, just a ballpark. A few years ago I tried to add-up how much I had spent over 15 years or so ... came about the price of a decent small car ... I then decided to slow down, and even sell a few lenses and a couple unused cameras.
06-28-2021, 01:19 AM   #1851
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You're all a bunch of hoarders!

Just imagine what some young person could do with a tiny selection of that glass.
06-28-2021, 02:35 AM - 2 Likes   #1852
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote

Just imagine what some young person could do with a tiny selection of that glass.
I prefer to think of myself as an aficionado of optical glass and equipment.

06-28-2021, 06:00 AM   #1853
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote

Oi, I can't even hoard the D FA 21!
(I'm also young and accept donations of FA* 200 macros, f/2.8 telezooms and exotic stuff. I promise I'll use them well).
06-28-2021, 07:06 AM   #1854
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My number of lenses actually decreased (for Pentax). I now have 3 zooms (1 never gets used, the F35-70) and 3 primes.

On another system, I now have two zooms and a prime. That's my hiking kit, I still love the K-1 ii but a much smaller FF option for hiking is welcome.
06-28-2021, 06:02 PM   #1855
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
My number of lenses actually decreased (for Pentax). I now have 3 zooms (1 never gets used, the F35-70) and 3 primes.

On another system, I now have two zooms and a prime. That's my hiking kit, I still love the K-1 ii but a much smaller FF option for hiking is welcome.
I've lost count. Lots. But my most used lenses are DA18-135 and DA*50-135/f2.8, at least for the time being. My most used changes depending on the photo topic.
06-28-2021, 06:02 PM   #1856
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
About 15 years.
Well you have much more patience than I would that's for sure. You are true Pentaxian!
06-28-2021, 11:31 PM - 1 Like   #1857
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richardwong Quote
Well you have much more patience than I would that's for sure. You are true Pentaxian!
Interesting, I got into Pentax digital photography partly because the K-10 allowed me to use all the old Pentax glass. Then I realized that I was not just into Pentax, but into the K-mount, which opened up M42 lenses with an adapter and other brands with or without adapters. Then I discovered Zeiss and Carl Zeiss Jena, and nowI have discovered Leica-R. Discovery of Zeiss and Leica-R has slowed down my rate of lens acquisition but not the cost of acquisition! My modest forays into Zeiss and Leica-R seem to be causing some portions of my collection to become redundant. My hobby of flower photography causes me to priortize MFD, macro capabilities, color fidelity, and rendering. This is a voyage of discovery, but my constant effort is to identify and use lenses based upon how their individual properties help me to create interesting floral images. It is a tremendous over simplification to say that I immensely value Pentax lenses for color fidelity, Zeiss lenses for precision and sharpness, and Leica for naturalness of rendering.
06-29-2021, 12:30 AM   #1858
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, some impressive numbers here and there
I own 13... Including three M series, three zooms, three DA-limiteds.
It used to be closer to 20 but I have thinned the collection recently. Still, at times I have the feeling it's too many
06-29-2021, 04:22 AM   #1859
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Interesting, I got into Pentax digital photography partly because the K-10 allowed me to use all the old Pentax glass. Then I realized that I was not just into Pentax, but into the K-mount, which opened up M42 lenses with an adapter and other brands with or without adapters. Then I discovered Zeiss and Carl Zeiss Jena, and nowI have discovered Leica-R. Discovery of Zeiss and Leica-R has slowed down my rate of lens acquisition but not the cost of acquisition! My modest forays into Zeiss and Leica-R seem to be causing some portions of my collection to become redundant. My hobby of flower photography causes me to priortize MFD, macro capabilities, color fidelity, and rendering. This is a voyage of discovery, but my constant effort is to identify and use lenses based upon how their individual properties help me to create interesting floral images. It is a tremendous over simplification to say that I immensely value Pentax lenses for color fidelity, Zeiss lenses for precision and sharpness, and Leica for naturalness of rendering.
Pretty much my story as well, Ivan, except I have not ventured to Leica lenses. I used K mount lenses on film cameras since 1980. I switched to digital in about 2005, with a K-m body. A few of my old lenses, plus a few newer ones had me hooked for a second time. So i started buying a few M42 lenses. March 2020 I bought a Sony mirrorless, and started expanding my collection to Carl Zeiss in M42, and then Nikon, Olympus, Minolta and Konica. Now I also have a K-01 with a full set of DA Limited lenses.
06-29-2021, 05:36 AM   #1860
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
Pretty much my story as well, Ivan, except I have not ventured to Leica lenses. I used K mount lenses on film cameras since 1980. I switched to digital in about 2005, with a K-m body. A few of my old lenses, plus a few newer ones had me hooked for a second time. So i started buying a few M42 lenses. March 2020 I bought a Sony mirrorless, and started expanding my collection to Carl Zeiss in M42, and then Nikon, Olympus, Minolta and Konica. Now I also have a K-01 with a full set of DA Limited lenses.
Buyer Warning!! Do not start buying Leica lenses. It is easy to become captivated by the "Leica look" and starting to develop a complete collection. Some folks lose their perspective and begin thinking only Leica lenses are worth buying and using, but not me. I like Leica, Pentax, and Zeiss (in alphabetical order).