Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Lenstag Gear Values

Hey all,

With the newest version of the Lenstag app, it now has a feature that estimates the new and used value of all your listed gear. Only thing is, I have no idea where it gets its algorithm from.

For instance, it lists my common-as-dirt Pentax-M 50mm f2 at $259, but my Pentax-A 50mm 1.7 (still common, but faster) at $46.

My used K-x? $339. My newer, used K-5? $399.

And this one made me laugh: Sears 55mm 1.4 at $439.

Anyway, all this to say, anyone have any insight to how Lenstag is estimating their values? And anyone else have the same kind of experience with severe over/undervaluing of their gear? Some are spot on, but the outliers are amusing.

If not, anyone want to buy my M50/2? I'll practically give it away for $200

02-04-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What do they value the A*85/1.4 and 135*1.8 at? $5?
02-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote
What do they value the A*85/1.4 and 135*1.8 at? $5?
If only... sadly it only shows values for the lenses I own.
02-05-2014, 01:26 AM   #4

Hey all,

A friend of mine pointed me to this thread & I wanted to apologize for some incorrect gear values in the new release of the app. I've just pushed a new version of the backend with some logic to zero out the value estimates of items we've identified as having suspiciously low values. We're trying hard to make sure values line up with reality and the data will continue to get updated throughout the week. Once the weekend hits I'll have enough time to finish up any cleanup that's needed. In the meantime, feel free to email me at trevor AT lenstag.com if you have any questions, suggestions, comments, feedback, or just want to chat.

Thanks!
trevor