Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Typical lens line-up thread

After the debacle with my first defective k20d I think I'm set and now in full on dreaming mode for lenses.

I went ahead and took the plunge on the 16-50mm and I got a good copy and love the lens. Now I'm trying to fill out my kit with some more modern lenses. I've already got a good collection of M lenses including the 50mm f1.4 which I love and plan on using for a long while.

This is my current wish list, even though newbies like me ask this all the time I'd love to hear any input or suggestions regarding these lenses and any possible alternatives.

FA 31mm f1.8 ltd or FA 35mm f2 or DA 35mm f2.8 ltd macro (walk around lens)
FA 50mm f2.8 macro or Tamron SP 90mm f2.8 macro (i love macro photography, this will probably be the next lens I buy)
DA* 60-250mm f4 (can't afford it right now so I have no problem waiting for it's eventual release)
DA* 300mm f4

I don't want a huge set of lenses and this seemed to me like a good collection covering a fairly standard range.

Thanks for any input! I know this topic has been covered to death already.

04-13-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mk07138 Quote
After the debacle with my first defective k20d I think I'm set and now in full on dreaming mode for lenses.

I went ahead and took the plunge on the 16-50mm and I got a good copy and love the lens. Now I'm trying to fill out my kit with some more modern lenses. I've already got a good collection of M lenses including the 50mm f1.4 which I love and plan on using for a long while.

This is my current wish list, even though newbies like me ask this all the time I'd love to hear any input or suggestions regarding these lenses and any possible alternatives.

FA 31mm f1.8 ltd or FA 35mm f2 or DA 35mm f2.8 ltd macro (walk around lens)
FA 50mm f2.8 macro or Tamron SP 90mm f2.8 macro (i love macro photography, this will probably be the next lens I buy)
DA* 60-250mm f4 (can't afford it right now so I have no problem waiting for it's eventual release)
DA* 300mm f4

I don't want a huge set of lenses and this seemed to me like a good collection covering a fairly standard range.

I would consider one change, drop the 50-250 F4, and go for a faster 70-200 F2.8

you don't need to concern yourself with the gap between 200mm and 300mm as much, and you will enjoy an F2.8 zxoom much more.

ALso if you are happy with your copy of the 16-50, maybe go for an ultra wide (10-20 sigma or 10-17 pentax fisheye) as opposed to the 31mm

go for the 90mm macro, longer focal length is better for good working distance
04-13-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mk07138 Quote

I'm with you, there. As many tempting choices as there are out there, I still don't want lenses running out of my ears, either.

Yeah, the topic gets covered over and over again, but everybody's different and what may work for one person may not work for another. Around here, you've got a wide variety of shooting styles, as well as budgets, so everybody needs a roadmap that will work in terms of both their budget and shooting style.

Since you like macro--it would depend on what type of macro shooting you do. Do you shoot mostly static things like flowers or do you like to shoot bugs, lizards, and other little critters?
For the 30s range, I would say go for the DA35, as it seems to be the most versatile lens of the 3. Take a look at the other threads for the DA35 and look at the examples. It has excellent IQ both close up and further away. If you're more concerned about being able to shoot in low light, then get either the 31 or the FA35 since they both have wider apertures than the DA35.

Between the 50 and 90mm macros, get the 90. If you have both the 35 and 90 macros, you'll be prepared for just about anything macro you might run into.

I like the idea of the 70-200/2.8+TC. If I used that focal range more often then I do, I might consider it for myself.

HTH,
Heather
04-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I would consider one change, drop the 50-250 F4, and go for a faster 70-200 F2.8
Yep, and add a Tamron 1.4tc and your back to F/4 with more reach and versatility.

04-13-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you really need to consider the DA*50-135mm, it is a GREAT tele-zoom.
04-13-2008, 08:56 PM   #6

Original Poster
I spend most of my time shooting landscapes and wildlife which is why I'm looking into the long range. For macro I shoot a mixture of static objects and insects/other little critters. I really like the look of the DA 35 and I love the look of the macro shots people have been getting with it. Right now I'm leaning towards that and the tamron 90mm.

As for the 50-135mm I've heard so many good things about that lens but I feel like getting that one would leave a hole right where I do alot of shooting. I guess that could be solved with a good 1.4x teleconverter.
04-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #7

Original Poster
Correction: I'm looking at the long range for wildlife, not landscapes, I'm very pleased with 16-50 for the landscapes. I also coach junior varsity lacrosse, so I would love to have a high quality long zoom to go along with the 300mm for shooting some of the varsity games next season.