Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My DA*50-135mm for repair (SDM) how long?

Mack Camera just sent my DA*50-135mm to Pentax (USA) for repair. Do you guys have any idea how long it typically takes for Pentax to replace a SDM on this lens, and if they replace with a improved version of the SDM ??

Thanks

02-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
Mack Camera just sent my DA*50-135mm to Pentax (USA) for repair. Do you guys have any idea how long it typically takes for Pentax to replace a SDM on this lens, and if they replace with a improved version of the SDM ??

Thanks
The turnaround time varies, I've heard reports of it being anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months, depending on parts availability and the nature of the repair.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
How about the SDM, is it replaced with the version that typically fails? or did they figure out a fix? Mine was freezing after a couple of days not being used, then it was making that squeaking noise...
02-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks
How much is the going to cost if you don't mind me asking?

02-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote
How much is the going to cost if you don't mind me asking?
I bought a 7yr Mack warranty when I bought the lens, anticipating SDM issues. The warranty was $39. This SDM replacement is at no charge.
02-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My 50-135 went to repair Nov. 16. Haven't heard anything yet.
Last time it went for repair, I got it back fairly quickly.

David
02-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

How about the SDM, is it replaced with the version that typically fails? or did they figure out a fix? Mine was freezing after a couple of days not being used, then it was making that squeaking noise...
If they end up replacing the whole mechanism, they'll put in the new one. But I can't say for sure because I'm sure there are different types of repairs based on what's damaged.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

In Aus it takes about 6 weeks
02-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #9
gtl
Veteran Member

Just convert it to screwdrive if you are out of warranty. Way better than splashing the cash for something so unreliable