Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Buying lenses from Japan on ebay?

I have noticed, for some time, there is a particular seller on ebay from Japan selling Pentax lenses usually at a nice discount..

Typically, their item title lines all have the word 'INEXPENSIVE' in them. While the items aren't inexpensive.. the discount is enough at least to consider them.

Is there anything I need to know about buying camera lenses from someone in Japan on ebay? Extra taxes/customs/paperwork/hassles ?

I've had bad experiences with items from China on ebay.. returning items there is next to impossible unless you want to spend a load. Yet ebay has deals with China and the USPS to make deliveries to the USA dirt cheap for them.

02-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought quite a few fa lenses from Japanese ebay seller several years ago. Had no issues and ems shipping didn't result in any customs fees etc.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Like for any ebay purchase, check the credentials from the sellers. There are some very reputable ebay seller for Pentax lenses, like tom1803. (I have no vested interested). Check the PF forum market place as there are a number of Japanese sellers with good reputations.
02-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Having bought equipment directly IN japan (since I am living here currently) I can tell that the Japanese in general really take care of their stuff and are very helpful. There are places in Shinjuku where you can get cameras and lenses that are 40 years old and look better than stuff I bought net a few years ago.

That being said, if the "normal check" (aka ebay reputation) did not give a bad result, you should be fine.

Also, there's no additional hassle I am aware of - I sold 2 items on ebay since living here and sent them to Europe, and there was nothing to be considered except shipment.

edit: and the Japanese Yen is really weak at the moment, so buying stuff from Japan would be worth it.

02-06-2014, 11:00 PM   #5
mee
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, guys!
02-06-2014, 11:57 PM   #6

I have purchased from tom1803 and was very happy with the transaction. I do not have a vested interest in him either, just a positive experience!
02-07-2014, 01:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bought a bunch of lenses from Japan to Sweden (EU). Though there are probably exceptions, most Japanese sellers seam very carefull about their reputation and delivers good service. tom1803 is among them I bought from , and he constantly have a good sortiment of Pentax and other K mount lenses. Got my Sigma 180mm macro from him. Other Jap sellers have also been very good. Lately I've discovered that Pentax medium format lenses aren't that high in price in Japan as they are here, probably because more are available (?). The Japanese post office is very efficient and reasonable priced (unlike some of the fantastically rediculoused shipping cost usually asked for then sending a lens from the US or Canada to Europe). At least from Japan to Sweden there have not been any custom fees or taxes. So far the only country I bought from where there have been taxes added has been from the US. So maybe there is some tax from Japan to the US, I wouldn't know about that. South-Korean sellers have also made a good impression on me. From China I've only bought new stuff, like batteries and adapters, but had no problem with that. But each sellers is of course an individ, and there can always be some bad apple in the lot...
02-07-2014, 04:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Amazon also has Japanese sellers that are very good. I also have had positive results with EMS sbipping.

David

02-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Ok... Just ordered a Sigma 17-50mm from a Japanese seller. I should have it in 2 weeks or so. Let's see what happens.
02-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #10

Stefan: From whom did you order your new lens (Sigma 17-50). I'm currently trying to decide whether to go with a Japanese seller and, if so, which one!

Thanks