Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 07:05 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Because It's Fun?

Having a digital SLR that allows the use of legacy lenses is a prime reason, often cited by newcomers, for joining this Forum.
Which is truly a source of pride for us, we lucky few who understand the joy of acquiring and using old glass; sometimes overdoing it (thus, LBA), writing about our experiences, posting samples, sharing info that most modern DSLR users would find strange, dated or incomprehensible.
But beyond the thrill of the chase (hearing about, researching and eventually finding, THAT lens!), using, viewing and sharing the results, learning new techniques required by manual lenses, there's another positive aspect to this hobby/work/sport/addiction.
The look, heft and feel of the 40-year-old mechanics. Yep, it's true; They don't make' em like that anymore. Or, possibly, they do, at several thousand scoots each. If, you can find it in K-mount.
Those solid f/stop clicks, dense metal body, the marvel of a built-in hood (how do they DO that?), rubberized focusing grip right where it should be (the middle, of course! Where else?), metal filter ring, tiny engraved and painted numbers and actual, working depth-of field scales.
But the best is last; The focusing action, dampening and throw. Sorta' makes it all worth while, doesn't it? Just roll that outer barrel and see for yourself.
Because there are sacrifices made, lessons to learn and a slower, more deliberate pace. It's not free, easy or quick, you must know that going in.
Sometimes, when I'm packing for a larger photo outing, I'll pop a few M or A prime standbies in with the auto lenses. They're so small and useful, why not? But then it occurs to me, I've got one larger space left. Without a second thought, in goes my MX or ME Super. Because, as we all know, those metal gems work even better on film bodies, better viewfinder and full frame, too!
Stick a couple rolls of Ilford or Fujjifilm or Kodak in my pocket. Good to go.
New lenses are great. So is the old glass, great in a different way.
Try it and see.
Ron

02-07-2014, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 for this post, yes that it exactly. That's been one of the very big reasons I've come to love Pentax gear. Excellent post. You nailed it.
02-07-2014, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I could not have said it better myself. Great post. I agree whole heartedly.
02-07-2014, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well written, Ron. I still miss my KX. That was a precision machine, and only the black needle didn't work when the battery went dead.

02-07-2014, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #5

Stated very well. I don't believe you will find or get any arguments.
02-07-2014, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Spot on Ron
02-07-2014, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #7
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Of course it is fun!

But tell me.

How do I get the film into my K10?

02-07-2014, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Having a digital SLR that allows the use of legacy lenses is a prime reason, often cited by newcomers, for joining this Forum.

Which is truly a source of pride for us, we lucky few who understand the joy of acquiring and using old glass; sometimes overdoing it (thus, LBA), writing about our experiences, posting samples, sharing info that most modern DSLR users would find strange, dated or incomprehensible.

But beyond the thrill of the chase (hearing about, researching and eventually finding, THAT lens!), using, viewing and sharing the results, learning new techniques required by manual lenses, there's another positive aspect to this hobby/work/sport/addiction.

The look, heft and feel of the 40-year-old mechanics. Yep, it's true; They don't make' em like that anymore. Or, possibly, they do, at several thousand scoots each. If, you can find it in K-mount.

Those solid f/stop clicks, dense metal body, the marvel of a built-in hood (how do they DO that?), rubberized focusing grip right where it should be (the middle, of course! Where else?), metal filter ring, tiny engraved and painted numbers and actual, working depth-of field scales.

But the best is last; The focusing action, dampening and throw. Sorta' makes it all worth while, doesn't it? Just roll that outer barrel and see for yourself.

Because there are sacrifices made, lessons to learn and a slower, more deliberate pace. It's not free, easy or quick, you must know that going in.

Sometimes, when I'm packing for a larger photo outing, I'll pop a few M or A prime standbies in with the auto lenses.

They're so small and useful, why not?

But then it occurs to me, I've got one larger space left.

Without a second thought, in goes my MX or ME Super. Because, as we all know, those metal gems work even better on film bodies, better viewfinder and full frame, too!

Stick a couple rolls of Ilford or Fujjifilm or Kodak in my pocket. Good to go.

New lenses are great. So is the old glass, great in a different way.

Try it and see.
Ron
Agreed.
02-07-2014, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Eh, no thanks :-)
02-07-2014, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Whenever I see a cleverly written, tightly packed post like this, I know it's written by rbefly
02-07-2014, 10:44 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fun also gives me the freedom not to photograph like a pro. Pros have to have boring, dependable gear to get the shot they are paid to get. I can use whatever I want.

I approach woodworking, my other hobby, the same way. My woodworking magazines are full of tips and machines to avoid doing stuff by hand. That's the fun part for me. It takes longer, sometimes forever, but who cares.

02-07-2014, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
But then it occurs to me, I've got one larger space left. Without a second thought, in goes my MX or ME Super. Because, as we all know, those metal gems work even better on film bodies, better viewfinder and full frame, too!
Amen. My MX has a dedicated spot in my bag.
02-08-2014, 07:26 AM   #13
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Fun also gives me the freedom not to photograph like a pro. Pros have to have boring, dependable gear to get the shot they are paid to get. I can use whatever I want.

I approach woodworking, my other hobby, the same way. My woodworking magazines are full of tips and machines to avoid doing stuff by hand. That's the fun part for me. It takes longer, sometimes forever, but who cares.
Great point Dave.

What did man do before he created machines to do his work for him anyway? Man is lazy and spends a considerable amount of time devising ways to enable his laziness.

Well, mostly anyway.

It can be said that automation is crucial to making better stuff. But to me it has also led to the dumbing down of mass produced products. Add to that the change toward a throw away society, and products that cannot be repaired when they wear out or break.

There is much to be said about the satisfaction of creating something with one's own hands, and then enjoying the fruits of ones labor.

Like the rocking chair this guy creates from solid pieces of a cherry wood stump, without the use of power tools.

02-08-2014, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great little essay, Ron. I'm sure that your thoughts resonate with many of us who enjoy using 'legacy' gear.

- Craig
02-08-2014, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #15
Inactive Account

My philosophy is that If you want a difficult job done in the most efficient way possible, send the laziest person.