Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
WR Lenses ~ Why Not All Of Them?

So one of the really neat things about Pentax DSLR cameras is the weather resistant design. I have looked and there is not a dedicated line of WR lenses to compliment this unique and excellent feature.

Sure, there are a few lenses that offer the WR feature, even one I found that is not listed as WR but the description says that it is, the SMC Pentax-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM.

Surely I am not the only Pentaxian who would like to see a full line of WR lenses from Pentax?

02-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The DA* lens line is the line you are talking about. All DA* lenses are WR. Then there are the others here and there. A few more consumer zooms (18-55, 18-135, and 55-300) then the 100mm 2.8 macro and the new limited zoom are a few of the lenses not in the DA* line with WR.

Last edited by atlnq9; 02-08-2014 at 09:14 PM.
02-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All of the * lenses are AW, which is a step above WR. The kit lenses are all WR, as is the 18-135. The other WR lens is the DA 100 macro, the 50 isn't WR because it is an older lens. I don't think it is even in production anymore.

The DA primes are not WR because they are intended as inexpensive consumer lenses. The DA 18-270 isn't sealed because it is a Tamron. The DA Limiteds are likely not weather sealed because they are pancakes. The Three Amigos are older designs that pre-date weather sealed bodies.
02-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I see that there are selected lenses that are WR or AW, but why not a full line? After all, as I pointed out, WR is one of the biggest selling points and something that the competition does not have.

02-08-2014, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I agree with you , if they are WR or AW, they should put it on the lense. Nobody outside some Pentax fanatic know these thing.
02-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
Inactive Account

All da* lenses are wr the only thing unfortunate is that they don't have any wide angle or normal primes in that line. And also the two main lenses are plagued by Sdm ghosts.
02-08-2014, 10:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Pentax pre-Ricoh, for whatever silly reason, does not have any clue in marketing and promotions, distribution, and pricing. These are areas where Canon has been infinitely superior over Pentax.

The jury is still out if the post-Ricoh Pentax has really improved things, but it's a continuing work in progress.

02-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Weather sealing means extra steps during assembly, tighter tolerances, possibly a different material choice and additional quality control. The downside is that all of the things stated equals higher manufacturing costs and in the end a higher selling price.
02-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Weather sealing means extra steps during assembly, tighter tolerances, possibly a different material choice and additional quality control. The downside is that all of the things stated equals higher manufacturing costs and in the end a higher selling price.
I think the sealing costs less, or certainly not more, than having shake reduction in the lens, or at least it offsets it, so Pentax lenses with WR shouldn't cost more than competitor lenses with SR built-in. It seems like the majority of competitor lenses are coming with SR now so Pentax should be able to compete while still providing WR. And as for quality control, certainly my experience with the 55-300 DA vs. WR doesn't suggest that there's any more quality control going on in the WR.
02-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We Want It Now?

Hi Racer,
I'm with you, I think they all should be W/R and more DC motors would be OK, too.
But I also understand there are priorities, adding W/R to an existing lens isn't as exciting as releasing a new camera body, major upgrade or a new lens.
The allocation of limited R + D resources might dictate that finalizing the K-3, a new medium-format body (with new lenses!), an A/F teleconverter, the Limited zoom or some other high-profile release helps Ricoh gain traction with their intended market.
They already have a great name for providing W/R, but few newcomers realize it's not the entire lens lineup. Having the upgrade in the kit and consumer zooms is an obvious start, the 'Special' * DA's is another good choice, but the rest of the lineup?
I don't think they can do everything, all at once. We may not like the choices or priorities, but they're fighting on several fronts and clearly seem to be moving forward. I don't always agree on the path, but support the effort.
JMO,
Ron
02-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
All da* lenses are wr the only thing unfortunate is that they don't have any wide angle or normal primes in that line. And also the two main lenses are plagued by Sdm ghosts.
The DA 14mm should have been. All they needed to do was AW it and add SDM.

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
True. But then again, they were able to do it with the DA 18-55 kit lens.
02-09-2014, 12:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Keep in mind that not all Pentax camera bodies are WR, so a WR lens for those is just an added pointless expense. I don't mind that Pentax also sells some "budget" lenses without WR, as long as it also offers WR and high-end choices.
However, I think Pentax is going to go in that direction - where it will offer more WR cameras and WR lenses, because that is one of the things that sets it apart from other brands. I also wish Pentax would make some WR primes, especially something wide (24mm f2.0 WR?? dream lens!)

OH, and when it comes to Pentax.. it has different levels of WR. There is WR, AW, and *.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 02-09-2014 at 02:01 PM.
02-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #13
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You all are making great points.

But most of the DSLR lineup is WR. It just seems odd that there is not a comprehensive array of lenses that compliment them.

Sure, the * lenses are WR.

But Pentax includes a WR zoom kit kens for those who wish to make a kit purchase rather than a body only. No WR primes smaller than 55.

Why?
02-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I think the key part there is that MOST Pentax dslr are wr, but not all present or all past ones were. It is a way to differentiate the products. I think the most unfortunate omissions from the wr line up are the da limiteds.
02-09-2014, 02:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I think the key part there is that MOST Pentax dslr are wr, but not all present or all past ones were. It is a way to differentiate the products. I think the most unfortunate omissions from the wr line up are the da limiteds.
I second that. I own four DA Limited primes and would love WR in them. Lousy weather means I carry the 18-135 WR. My photos lose a bit on those days. Been wondering if one could add a rubber O ring to the lens. Anyone tried it?