Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #1

AF Speed between the three main 50mm lenses?

Hey guys, I'm going to make the move to Pentax soon (Probably a K5 or K30, shooting for the K5) and am curious on the autofocus speeds between the three main 50mm lenses.

The 50mm 1.4, 50mm 1.7, and 50mm 1.8.

I'm looking at the 1.7 since sharpness is more important to me than good creamy bokeh and stuff but it might be a hard lens to find for a reasonable price.

Which is the fastest, and which is the slowest to focus? Does anyone have a video of these three focusing?

Right now I'm an NEX user that mainly uses MF lenses so speed isn't the biggest deal to me, I'm just curious.

Thanks!

02-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My DA L 55-300 takes a long time to focus, and it hunts in anything but sunny conditions. My FA 50/1.7? Not so much. AF speed isn't an issue with fast primes IMNSHO.
02-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mgear Quote
Hey guys, I'm going to make the move to Pentax soon (Probably a K5 or K30, shooting for the K5) and am curious on the autofocus speeds between the three main 50mm lenses.

The 50mm 1.4, 50mm 1.7, and 50mm 1.8.

I'm looking at the 1.7 since sharpness is more important to me than good creamy bokeh and stuff but it might be a hard lens to find for a reasonable price.

Which is the fastest, and which is the slowest to focus? Does anyone have a video of these three focusing?

Right now I'm an NEX user that mainly uses MF lenses so speed isn't the biggest deal to me, I'm just curious.

Thanks!
The focus throw on all 3 lenses is pretty short, so AF speed is fast (just noisy).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

There was one of the in-depth reviews I read recently that compared three of the current 50mm lenses, you can see how minuscule the differences are between them.

Pentax 50mm Prime Lens Shootout - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

It also show negligible differences between the three in image quality.

02-09-2014, 11:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you want silent focus, you might want to consider the Pentax-DA* 55mm F1.4, it is a fine lens, but will cost three time as much as the 50 1.8 which I have. The latter is noisy to focus, but I've got used to that. It's fast enough for me and as sharp as a lens needs to be.

Good luck with the camera, don't worry too much about which lens, they are all good.
02-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

We recently had a very similar thread. the F 50mm f1.7 was called the sharpest with loudest AF, the DA 50mm f.18 is probably a little faster (short focus throw, optimized for digital, very light). Only problem is the F is much older but costs almost the same.
Either way, none of these is a slouch, they are all good enough. If you want improved AF, you might want to think about the K-5II, since it has a redesigned AF module (compared to classic K-5), and it works in lower light. That might be a more significant difference than these 50mm lenses.
02-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
We recently had a very similar thread. the F 50mm f1.7 was called the sharpest with loudest AF, the DA 50mm f.18 is probably a little faster (short focus throw, optimized for digital, very light). Only problem is the F is much older but costs almost the same.
Either way, none of these is a slouch, they are all good enough. If you want improved AF, you might want to think about the K-5II, since it has a redesigned AF module (compared to classic K-5), and it works in lower light. That might be a more significant difference than these 50mm lenses.

I think the DA is the cheapest is it not?
02-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
I think the DA is the cheapest is it not?
Well if you are buying second hand (which you have to, for the older lenses) you might get a good deal. But considering its new, with modern coatings, and comes with warranty? I think the DA 50mm f1.8 is best bang for buck and probably the best choice. But it depends on the user's priorities.
Also, here is that thread I mentioned earlier. There are replies by people who used both.

02-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I've read every reply but figured one post would be better than one for everything.

It seems I'll shoot for the 1.7 but won't fret about getting the 1.8. The 1.4 will likely be above my price range so I'm not looking too much into it.

For people who have used Minolta AF lenses, how does the Pentax 1.7 compare to the Minolta AF 50mm 1.7 in terms of noise?
02-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The DA40 is the fastest focusing of all, as far as I know. Almost a 50, stunningly sharp, not very large aperture, though.
02-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
The DA40 is the fastest focusing of all, as far as I know. Almost a 50, stunningly sharp, not very large aperture, though.

Sadly every 40 that isn't the XS is out of my price range.

It's hard being unemployed and being interested in photography.

I'll get one eventually.
02-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Used here on the forum they aren't that pricey. The last one sold on the forum went for ~240. There will be another one along at similar pricing probably soon. It's a great entry into the limited club. I have the 40 for general use (especially outdoor). I have older, manual focus 50's with fast aperture. I focus with live view and take my time below 2.8 anyway, so an autofocus 1.4 isn't that much more useful to me. Generally what I do at 1.4 is what the macro folks do, get it close, then move the camera back and forth a few millimeters using the focus peaking to nail just where I want the focus to be.

You can pick up an M50/1.4 for a pretty low price in a few months to get the aperture.
02-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Used here on the forum they aren't that pricey. The last one sold on the forum went for ~240. There will be another one along at similar pricing probably soon. It's a great entry into the limited club. I have the 40 for general use (especially outdoor). I have older, manual focus 50's with fast aperture. I focus with live view and take my time below 2.8 anyway, so an autofocus 1.4 isn't that much more useful to me. Generally what I do at 1.4 is what the macro folks do, get it close, then move the camera back and forth a few millimeters using the focus peaking to nail just where I want the focus to be.

You can pick up an M50/1.4 for a pretty low price in a few months to get the aperture.

Peaking is the main reason why I'm mixed on if I want the K5 or K30.

My last two cameras have had peaking but my previous six didn't.

Getting a 40 will have to wait until I get a job though. Once I start to make the change, I'm going to sell all of my NEX gear and use that to fund the move to Pentax.

I'm excited though. I'm the type of person that babies my stuff so having a weather sealed camera should make me more adventurous.

Plus it will be nice for my upcoming trip to somewhere (Taiwan or Slovenia, haven't decided).