Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #1

645N lens adapter for K3

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Question.

I am about to purchase a K3 (super happy about this new addition) and I have two 645N lens'. Word on the street (AKA the Forum here) is that there is an adapter that will enable me to hook these never used lens to my new K3. So I have a burning desire to know if anyone has ever used this mysterious 645 to K mount adapter, and how much they liked it (pros/cons), and if there are any photos I could see.

I understand that in the perfect world I should just use the appropriate K3 lens, but unless I strike oil...those will have to wait. What I do have is enough in the bank to buy the adapter. I figure I can use the lens' I have and save, save, save up for the perfect scenarios unless this adapter is not a good idea and I should avoid it because it'll ruin my K3.

Your help and advice is very much appreciated.

02-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's the adapter:
Pentax-K Adapter for 645 Reviews - Pentax K-mount Teleconverters and Adapters - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

It's literally just a hollow tube without linkages for the aperture coupler. It isn't available new anymore I don't think.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here's the adapter:
Pentax-K Adapter for 645 Reviews - Pentax K-mount Teleconverters and Adapters - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

It's literally just a hollow tube without linkages for the aperture coupler. It isn't available new anymore I don't think.
I believe you are correct Adam. The adapter would be an old "new" purchase. I just feel dumb having all of these lens' I've never used just sitting there and when I found out I could hook it up to my new camera, I was very excited.

My biggest concern is, I don't want to mess up my K3.
02-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax adapter is rather expensive for what it does.

PentaxWebstore.com:Adapter K for 645 Lenses (645 to 35mm) Adapter K for 645 Lenses (645 to 35mm)

The FotodioX adapter is more reasonable.

645 to k adapter | B&H Photo Video

The cons to adapting a 645 lens to K are 645 lenses are larger than K lenses, there is no camera aperture control or autofocus (stop down metering only), and 645 lenses tend to cost more than K lenses. But if you already have a 645 lens there is no inherent danger to the K-3 using an adapter (other than ingress of water, the adapter isn't WR).

02-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
Whoa Nelly, that's a giant price difference! Is it because one is Mamiya and the other is Pentax?
02-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by JDelaware Quote
Whoa Nelly, that's a giant price difference! Is it because one is Mamiya and the other is Pentax?
It's because the genuine product is always a lot more

Does the fotodiox adapter have the aperture coupler? If not, then adapted lenses would work like Takumars.

Here's the guide to using/metering with manual lenses:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #7

Original Poster
Ooo, thank you for that Adam!

02-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't even notice that it was Mamiya 645...

There was a long thread about adapting non-K-mount lenses to K-mount.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/96884-...sions-lba.html

There are also plenty of 645 adapters on evilBay, both genuine and third party.

pentax 645 to k mount | eBay
02-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #9

I bought a 645D and SO wanted to love it. It takes amazing photos, but truth be told, me thinks I'm not a good enough photographer to utilize its awesomeness. I'm thinking of selling it (Anyone interested? It's mint : ) ... but the lenses? Forget it... Those I'm keeping! They are tack sharp on my k5ii. I have a Pentax 645-k mount adapter. It's straightforward to install onto the camera, then I just pop the 645 lenses on. The macro is spectacular, and the wider lenses somehow render shots with a 3D feel. The lenses are heavy buggers though, but worth it for the yummy snaps!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
02-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #10
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by JDelaware Quote
That adapter is unfortunately for Mamiya lenses, not for Pentax 645 lenses.
02-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Having owned a 3rd party 645 to K adapter and the Pentax original version I would highly recommend going for the Pentax. The 3rd party version I had did the job, but was a bit clunky and not particularly smooth, the Pentax version is beautifully made and all the bayonets fit beautifully against each other. This may not be the experience everyone has with a non-Pentax copy, but for me the difference in price is worth it
02-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have that Mamiya 645 adapter and is very good one, but it let you focus past infinity. I was assuming that OP had in his mind Mamiya adapter while I do not know if Pentax has "N" lenses like Mamiya does and he mention 645 N adapter... On the mflenses forum there is user with name IGOR that uses 645 Mamiya's on Pentax DSLR but he used them also on Nikon D800 or Canon cameras and does not matter which camera he uses the results are fantastic. I always loved those lenses and their rendering and while they affordable now I started getting them. The first one I got is Mamiya Sekor C 210mm F4 and LBA syndrome struck again...

Mamiya Sekor C 210mm f4
Mamiya Sekor C 150mm f2.8
Mamiya Sekor C 150mm f3.5 N
Mamiya Sekor C 110mm f2.8

YMMV!
02-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
I have that Mamiya 645 adapter and is very good one, but it let you focus past infinity. I was assuming that OP had in his mind Mamiya adapter while I do not know if Pentax has "N" lenses like Mamiya does and he mention 645 N adapter... On the mflenses forum there is user with name IGOR that uses 645 Mamiya's on Pentax DSLR but he used them also on Nikon D800 or Canon cameras and does not matter which camera he uses the results are fantastic. I always loved those lenses and their rendering and while they affordable now I started getting them. The first one I got is Mamiya Sekor C 210mm F4 and LBA syndrome struck again...

Mamiya Sekor C 210mm f4
Mamiya Sekor C 150mm f2.8
Mamiya Sekor C 150mm f3.5 N
Mamiya Sekor C 110mm f2.8

YMMV!
The OP was not looking for a Mamiya adapter. The 645N was an upgrade to the original Pentax 645 and uses the same mount, but with autofocus.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/53-pentax-dslr-camera-articles/110932-pen...-compared.html
02-14-2014, 08:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Sorry my mistake... I was going out strictly from manual focus lenses point and never thought that someone will use AF lens on Fotodiox adapters that does not support AF. Thank you for amending me!
02-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bleeblee Quote
I bought a 645D and SO wanted to love it. It takes amazing photos, but truth be told, me thinks I'm not a good enough photographer to utilize its awesomeness. I'm thinking of selling it (Anyone interested? It's mint : ) ... but the lenses? Forget it... Those I'm keeping! They are tack sharp on my k5ii. I have a Pentax 645-k mount adapter. It's straightforward to install onto the camera, then I just pop the 645 lenses on. The macro is spectacular, and the wider lenses somehow render shots with a 3D feel. The lenses are heavy buggers though, but worth it for the yummy snaps!
BleeBlee, thank you for the snaps! I have decided to make the purchase for the adapter. I'm sure if it doesn't work out, I'll be back here looking for pointers.

I appreciate all of your feedback, and as soon as my new K3 arrives I will snap, snap, snap and upload for you all.