Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2008, 11:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kbrabble Quote
The SMC Takumar (M42) 50mm f/1.4 and 135mm f/2.5 are amazing lenses. These along with the 85mm f/1.8 are in my opinion among some of the best lenses Pentax ever made.
On mflenses.com they seem to prefer the 3,5f version of the 135mm. I have not gotten an answer why though.

Anyone here know why?

04-15-2008, 03:31 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
On mflenses.com they seem to prefer the 3,5f version of the 135mm. I have not gotten an answer why though.

Anyone here know why?
There are two 135/2.5 and they are often confused in discussions. The one to go for is the smc Pentax 1:2.5/135, with 58mm filter thread: This one. Not the inferior Takumar (Bayonet) in K-mount. Reading material here.

-- MW
04-15-2008, 06:40 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote

Anyone here know why?
If we set aside the mediocre K-mount Takumar, there are two optically distinct 135/2.5 lenses: the Super-Takumar or Super-Multi Coated Takumar Model I (part number 43802), which has a 5 element/4 group formula and the Super-Multi Coated Takumar Model II (part number 43812), SMC-Takumar or SMC Pentax (in K Mount), which has a 6 element/6 group formula and which is a much better lens. People buying the old lens are usually disappointed, while people buying the newer one are satisfied.

While there are also two different types of Super-Takumar 135/3.5 lenses (the 5 element/4 group, part # 43540 and the later 4 element/4 group, part # 43541), they are both quite good.

That's why there are more people recommending the 135/3.5 than the 135/2.5: you can't go wrong with the 3.5.

Cheers!

Abbazz
04-16-2008, 03:38 PM   #19

Hi everyone!!

Today finally the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50 f1.4 arrived! I've been trying it but I think I'm going to need a bit of your help :-S. I have a couple of problems that I hope you can help me with.

First, I mounted an original pentax M42 to K adapter on the K10D. Then, I screwed the Takumar on the adapter, until I can't do it anymore (I don't hear any 'click' sound or similar, it just stops).
Then, I turn on the K10D (I've the 1.30 firmware). It doesn't ask me anything, and I thought it will ask me which focal I have mounted: is that normal?

Then, I switch the camera to Manual Focus. When I focus, the focus confirmation doesn't work (the green hexagon, I thought it will): is that normal?

Any of the camera modes don't work (by that I mean there's no difference) but Manual mode, I already knew that. Therefore, I cannot use the light meter on the camera or nothing similar. To do a shot, my only solution is to "estimate" a shouter speed, do a test shot, and reiterate. The camera cannot give me any of the light mettering options, and that's quite a bad thing. Is that normal?

As well, working with the lens at 1.4, I found out that I needed very long exposition times (around 1/10) to take indoor shots next to a window with sunlight. I've been impressed because I thought that using so opened lenses will reduce noticeably the exposition times, but it's not the case. The kit 18/55 lens needs less exposition to take the image. Is that normal?

The camera stabilizer as well doesn't work, as the icon doesn't appear when I take photos. Is that normal?

Please, throw some light in here! If you see or think that I'm doing something wrong setting the camera or mounting the lens, please let me know!

The lens feels and looks awesome although. It's all metal and the focus ring is very smooth. The one I got is like new, and it really gives a nice feeling.

Thanks everyone for your help. Any advice or comment will be very appreciated.
Regards.

04-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rafalas Quote
Hi everyone!!

Today finally the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50 f1.4 arrived! I've been trying it but I think I'm going to need a bit of your help :-S. I have a couple of problems that I hope you can help me with.

First, I mounted an original pentax M42 to K adapter on the K10D. Then, I screwed the Takumar on the adapter, until I can't do it anymore (I don't hear any 'click' sound or similar, it just stops).
Then, I turn on the K10D (I've the 1.30 firmware). It doesn't ask me anything, and I thought it will ask me which focal I have mounted: is that normal?

Then, I switch the camera to Manual Focus. When I focus, the focus confirmation doesn't work (the green hexagon, I thought it will): is that normal?

Any of the camera modes don't work (by that I mean there's no difference) but Manual mode, I already knew that. Therefore, I cannot use the light meter on the camera or nothing similar. To do a shot, my only solution is to "estimate" a shouter speed, do a test shot, and reiterate. The camera cannot give me any of the light mettering options, and that's quite a bad thing. Is that normal?

As well, working with the lens at 1.4, I found out that I needed very long exposition times (around 1/10) to take indoor shots next to a window with sunlight. I've been impressed because I thought that using so opened lenses will reduce noticeably the exposition times, but it's not the case. The kit 18/55 lens needs less exposition to take the image. Is that normal?

The camera stabilizer as well doesn't work, as the icon doesn't appear when I take photos. Is that normal?

Please, throw some light in here! If you see or think that I'm doing something wrong setting the camera or mounting the lens, please let me know!

The lens feels and looks awesome although. It's all metal and the focus ring is very smooth. The one I got is like new, and it really gives a nice feeling.

Thanks everyone for your help. Any advice or comment will be very appreciated.
Regards.
Welcome rafalas. because it's a screwmount, it's on when it can't turn anymore so that's ok. when you start, it asks for focal length, this is for EXIF recording and the SR. you must enable the Aperture and FI settings in the menu. this site describes for K100D, but similar for K10D K100D (Super) Pictorial guide to using manual lenses [imgs] [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

with an M42 lens, because there's no physical connection to the camera, metering is more complicated. first, set your lens to Manual, not Auto. you can use Av mode, by focusing first, selecting the aperture you want on the lens and then shoot. in Manual mode, focus, select aperture on the lens, then press the Green button and then shoot. for a "k" or "m" mount lens, you cannot use Av mode because the lens does not stop down until the shutter is triggered.
04-17-2008, 12:51 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
Welcome rafalas. because it's a screwmount, it's on when it can't turn anymore so that's ok. when you start, it asks for focal length, this is for EXIF recording and the SR. you must enable the Aperture and FI settings in the menu. this site describes for K100D, but similar for K10D K100D (Super) Pictorial guide to using manual lenses [imgs] [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

with an M42 lens, because there's no physical connection to the camera, metering is more complicated. first, set your lens to Manual, not Auto. you can use Av mode, by focusing first, selecting the aperture you want on the lens and then shoot. in Manual mode, focus, select aperture on the lens, then press the Green button and then shoot. for a "k" or "m" mount lens, you cannot use Av mode because the lens does not stop down until the shutter is triggered.
It worked! Thank you so much. The problem was that I had the Aperture in 'Prohibited' instead on Permitter.
Everything works now, and the way of using the green button in manual is really handy as well.

Thanks a lot for your help!