Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Macro with FA 77....best way?

Hi......I'm after a bit of direction as to what is the simplest way/adapter to undertake macro shots with a FA 77. I have just recently acquired the lens and I am looking to sell my Tamron 90 to help partially fund a FA 31. I have some close focusing lenses for flowers etc (DA 21 & 40) and only take the odd macro shot from time to time. Do I need just an extension tube of some length? Manual focus is all I'm after. Thanks for reading!

02-12-2014, 06:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It seems like 70mm of tubes gives you a magnification of 1.05x with that lens, true macro.
Macro Extension Tubes & Close-up Lenses
02-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What do you mean by "macro" and "the best way?" The rigorous definition of macro is greater than magnification =1, but for most people magnification up to 1/2 is what they need. Best way as in most convenient/fast or best quality?

If you want a convenient fast way (you did say simple) to do up to magnification about 1/2 likely diopter lenses, as they just get put on the front of the lens. two element diopters give better quality--but may not be available--depending on the magnification range you want.
For higher magnification a set of extension tubes--possibly in conjunction with a teleconverter to give you more distance from the subject. And extension tubes are the best quality--except above magnification 1, where reversing lens/etc. are done

Last edited by dms; 02-12-2014 at 06:44 PM.
02-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The FA 77 works great with an extension tube. It is so sharp and getting it for close focus is great. An example of using the FA 77 for close up work is below.

Dale

Attached Images

02-12-2014, 08:28 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Hi......I'm after a bit of direction as to what is the simplest way/adapter to undertake macro shots with a FA 77. I have just recently acquired the lens and I am looking to sell my Tamron 90 to help partially fund a FA 31. I have some close focusing lenses for flowers etc (DA 21 & 40) and only take the odd macro shot from time to time. Do I need just an extension tube of some length? Manual focus is all I'm after. Thanks for reading!
You might find this post useful
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macr...lose-work.html
02-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Dale, I'm curious what extension tube you are using. I have (only) a DA70, but have been wondering whether to go the "tube" or diopter route--like the OP, I seldom have a need for "true" macro in the field, so justifying a dedicated macro lens has been tough (even though I continue to try.)
02-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Mmh, interesting idea. You have a couple options:
- Extension tubes
- Bellows (similar to extension tubes, but allows you to adjust on the spot)
- Macro "filter" (might ruin IQ, but some are good, like the Raynox ones)

The advantage of the filter/diopter is that you retain all the automation and lens info. Bellows usually force you to set up everything manually. The FA 77mm has an aperture right, though, so you can use it even with bellows.

02-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Extension tubes are good because there is no IQ loss...but it sure is going to be dark with 70mm worth of extension tubes. Youre going to be guessing if your subject is in focus unless you have supplemental lighting.
02-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On extension, assuming the rear-to-front pupil size ratio is 1/2 (I don't have the lens), at m=0.5 it is 2 stops darker than indicated fstop, and at m=1 (FL mm extension) 3.25 stops darker. Darker but not terribly so. Typical for close up work.
02-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Oh yes, for closeup macro you basically need a tripod and lights help, too
02-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

If the tubes have an aperture lever and you can focus wide-open, and with this fast a lens, it really should not be too bad in daylight. I've shot handheld with the Tamron 90mm and 68mm of tubes with some success. Just avoid those super cheap Chinese tubes that don't even have an aperture lever.

EDIT: Oh, it really helps if your camera has focus peaking (K-01 / K-30 / K-50 / K-500 / K-3, I think)...
02-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #12
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would suggest you stay w/ pentax auto tube set (PENTAX Auto Extension Tube Set K). And make sure they are auto--I purchased it twice from reputable used photo internet store and each time it was not the auto. The three in the set give you 57mm extension, which w/ the lens mount should get you to about m=1 (depending on the lens close focus magnification it may be slightly more or slightly less).

Don't even think about non-auto tubes--unless you are on tripod, indoors, and the subject cannot/will not move. Cheaper (off brand) ones can be a real problem w/ flare--not always but you can get a flare spot, and you may not notice it until you look carefully at the shot.
02-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thankyou all for your various thoughts. I will probally start looking for extension tubes with aperature control at this stage. Thanks again!
02-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
It seems like 70mm of tubes gives you a magnification of 1.05x with that lens, true macro.
Macro Extension Tubes & Close-up Lenses
"Important considerations. Image quality shouldn't be a factor when deciding between different brands of extension tubes (all use the same low dispersion air)."
lol
02-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #15
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't agree w/ the last post if he is saying all extension tubes are the same. There are differences between extension tubes--cheap ones are not baffled/blackened inside to the same degree, and thus can flare badly.