Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Fast Portrait Prime

I realize that this has been talked in previous threads, but the price points of lens have changed so I'm bringing it out again. So I am thinking about getting an AF large aperture portrait prime. I am currently using a Tamron 28-75mm as my portrait lens. I have gotten some great images with the Tamron, smc-m 50mm f1.4 and super tak 55/f1.8 that I have. I would like to spend under 500.

My priorities for a portrait lens is: Smooth rendering of OOF areas, color rendition of skin tones, center sharpness at wide open, and finally build quality.

My original choice was a FA 50/f1.4. My issue with the FA is I feel its a bit overpriced for the quality of lens. If I would get this I would get it used and it would be closer to the price\performance ratio I'm expecting.

My new choice is a New sigma 50/f1.4 since it fell to 400 bucks recently.

My off the wall choice is the limited DA 70mm 2.4 since you can find it around 400 bucks as well.

Future purchase might be a 70-200 f2.8 so I am not thinking about anything over 70mm.

02-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can try the sample photo gallery on these forums and search for photos taken with that lens.
The DA 70mm is probably closer to portrait focal length than the 50mm. Will give you nice proportions and no odd perspective distortion, will make the face look good.
Btw, Pentax makes two lenses that are meant for portraits. The DA* 55mm and the FA 77mm ltd. These are designed for bokeh, skin tones, stuff like that. But they are a little expensive.
If you don't mind going manual, there are many more choices that don't cost too much, but I guess you already have that and now want AF and everything
02-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
I realize that this has been talked in previous threads, but the price points of lens have changed so I'm bringing it out again. So I am thinking about getting an AF large aperture portrait prime. I am currently using a Tamron 28-75mm as my portrait lens. I have gotten some great images with the Tamron, smc-m 50mm f1.4 and super tak 55/f1.8 that I have. I would like to spend under 500.

My priorities for a portrait lens is: Smooth rendering of OOF areas, color rendition of skin tones, center sharpness at wide open, and finally build quality.

My original choice was a FA 50/f1.4. My issue with the FA is I feel its a bit overpriced for the quality of lens. If I would get this I would get it used and it would be closer to the price\performance ratio I'm expecting.

My new choice is a New sigma 50/f1.4 since it fell to 400 bucks recently.

My off the wall choice is the limited DA 70mm 2.4 since you can find it around 400 bucks as well.

Future purchase might be a 70-200 f2.8 so I am not thinking about anything over 70mm.
How about FA77?
02-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Both of those you're considering can pull of exactly what you want in that price range. The FA 43mm 1.9 can as well, but I'd seriously consider the DA* 55mm 1.4.... longer focal will help make the backgrounds disappear, it's very fast, weather sealed and highly regarded. They can go for more depending on condition, but you can certainly find them for around $500 on the Bay.

Biggest recommendation is the 77, but will be outside your price range by a fair margin.

02-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Both of those you're considering can pull of exactly what you want in that price range. The FA 43mm 1.9 can as well, but I'd seriously consider the DA* 55mm 1.4.... longer focal will help make the backgrounds disappear, it's very fast, weather sealed and highly regarded. They can go for more depending on condition, but you can certainly find them for around $500 on the Bay.

Biggest recommendation is the 77, but will be outside your price range by a fair margin.
Sorry yeah 77mm is way out of my price range, I considered the DA 55mm, but it is out of my price range unless i buy used and I'm worried to buy used, get an older copy, and find SDM issues down the line.
02-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've not heard of SDM issues with the 55mm... Only the zoom types. As long as you're discerning you can find great used buys, particularly if you donate and access the marketplace here. KEH is an excellent resource as well. A few weeks ago I found an 8 year old copy of the 43mm LTD for what seemed like a steal - had a few scratches in the lens cap but otherwise it was near flawless.

Also, for what it's worth, i won a 77mm for 640 on the Bay earlier last week. (completed the set for me after 3 years) It came with everything that was included new and if the edges of the manual hadn't been dog eared in a couple places and the box a bit worn, I would've sworn it *was* new. People generally take quite good care of their Limiteds. that's definitely over your budget, but not by a huge amount.
02-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Btw, Pentax makes two lenses that are meant for portraits. The DA* 55mm and the FA 77mm ltd. These are designed for bokeh, skin tones, stuff like that. But they are a little expensive.
If you don't mind going manual, there are many more choices that don't cost too much, but I guess you already have that and now want AF and everything
It's true, these are the lenses that fit the bill. As others have mentioned, they might not be as far out of your price range as you think. I wouldn't be afraid to get either one used - in fact my FA77 was approx. $550 a few years ago - I made a deal to buy it and an FA43 for $1000 even.

If you really want to stay cheaper, then the M100/2.8, A100/2.8, F/FA135, and some of the old Pentax 85s (which I've never used) would do the job very well. Don't worry about the longer FL - there's no overlap with the lesser performance you'll get with a 70-200 lens. And at those focal lengths f/2.8 gives you excellent subject isolation.

If all else fails you can get the DA70 (but I'd still hold out for the FA77). In any case you're right - the FA50/1.4 (or any of its close relatives) will underperform for the money - at least for your application (which is why I sold all 3 of my Pentax AF 50s).

02-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The 70/2.4 Limited is a fine portrait lens -- and far better resolution and rendition than the old FA 50/1.4.
02-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My Sigma 170-500mm, my DA 16-45mm and my Tamron 28-75mm were all from KEH. So yeah I have no qualms about used lenses if from a dealer that allows returns. I do have qualms about buying a 500+ dollar lens though from the Bay. While most of my MF lenses are from the bay (i have a minolta 58mm 1.4 that works with my mirrorless that is brillant) I can not afford a lens shaped paperweight. No manual lenses for reasons listed above, the FA 43 is an interesting suggestion if a little short on FL but might be a better general purpose lens and its one of the pentax gems. The FA 135mm is another interesting suggestion, is the FA 135 too long for portraits on digital? I really like the rendering of the FA 135 at least from the sample photo gallery images. I think I might have a manual 135mm I might play around to see if I enjoy the FL.
02-16-2014, 12:37 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have the Sigma 50 mm and it is great, but the bokeh can be a little bit harsh sometimes. I just got the FA 77 and have only been using it for a couple of days but so far it is great I am a bit hesitent to go compare the bokeh to my Sigma because it might make me want to buy an FA 43 or a DA 55.
02-16-2014, 04:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
The FA 135mm is another interesting suggestion, is the FA 135 too long for portraits on digital? I really like the rendering of the FA 135 at least from the sample photo gallery images. I think I might have a manual 135mm I might play around to see if I enjoy the FL.
It's partly a matter of personal preference, but some people are happy going up to 200mm for portraits (yes, even on digital); some are also happy going as wide as 24mm or so. Certainly 135mm isolates the subject well, and it tends to make a person's face look a little skinnier, rather than fatter (as happens with wide lenses). Women often love the effect.
02-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
Inactive Account

135 would be quite long for portraits unless you just don't like to deal with people. I feel kind of far away with the 77 already. I have a MF 135 mm lens and I don't think I would ever use that lens for portraits b/c you would need a megaphone to speak with your subject.
02-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Remember for the ladies, apply a little skin softening in PP they'll love you for it.
02-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
The 70/2.4 Limited is a fine portrait lens -- and far better resolution and rendition than the old FA 50/1.4.
I'll second the DA70 as a fine portrait lens, for both indoor and outdoor use.

02-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I have the Sigma 50 mm and it is great, but the bokeh can be a little bit harsh sometimes. I just got the FA 77 and have only been using it for a couple of days but so far it is great I am a bit hesitent to go compare the bokeh to my Sigma because it might make me want to buy an FA 43 or a DA 55.
Did you fall out of love for the sigma 50/f1.4? Was it because of the harsh bokeh? Do you have an example of this? Smooth OOF areas is more important to me than bokeh balls.

This site gives it a pretty harsh review.

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Review

Last edited by y0chang; 02-16-2014 at 12:36 PM.