Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
All of the FA and DA Limited series never fail to impress.
But beware, once you sink your teeth into one, you may develop a craving for the rest of the series...
I have the DA 35 Macro Limited and the DA 70 Limited....the 70 is a great portrait lens and I love the 35 Macro for the option to shoot up close and still have a normal lens on the camera.
My DA 12-24mm and the DA10-17mm Fisheye and both are very sharp lenses and keep me very happy on the wide end.

The only other lens that I could possibly see in the future is the Pentax-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro and I could pick up a used one relatively cheap if I wanted.
I am pretty much finished with lens acquisition.....at least for a while

02-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
It was my first

It has the size and handling advantages. To me, the colours and rendition are mind blowing. It's hard to take a bad photo with this lens. Whereas I am very capable of taking bad photos with the 31 and 77. The 43 requires no postphoto, where my 77 is often needing fringe control (easy enough fix).

My 31is still too new to really judge it, but I could part with the 77 and not miss it. I have a feeling like the 31 will be a true keeper once winter leaves.
Are you going to get rid of your DA 35 2.4 since you purchased the FA 31?
02-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #18
Pentaxian

it leaves out the 43, my favourite of the Ltds
the 43 is my favourite too (and I have the DA 15, 40, 70 & FA 31, 77 limiteds).
02-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Are you going to get rid of your DA 35 2.4 since you purchased the FA 31?
Nope, never. It is the better lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
the 43 is my favourite too (and I have the DA 15, 40, 70 & FA 31, 77 limiteds).
That speaks a lot for the 43 in your collection, going up against nearly all the limiteds!

02-19-2014, 06:44 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Nope, never. It is the better lens.
You mean you like it better than the FA 31?
02-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Yea, that is quite a bold statement.
I had the 35mm f2.4 for a while. It was an ok lens, very lightweight and sharp but pricey for what it was (no metal mount, no quickshift, didnt come with a hood, not particularly fast).
02-19-2014, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeeshe. This thread is terrible - like an AA giy walking into a bar. I've been getting all the K lenses I wanted and couldn't have when I was younger (and I love using them with film cameras and every so often the K-01 or K3). Then I got a DA40 Ltd. with the K-01 (NOT the XS). Oh boy. Just got an SMC DA15/4.

I can feel the big binge on the horizon - ALL the SMC Limiteds . . . . .
02-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yeeshe. This thread is terrible - like an AA giy walking into a bar. I've been getting all the K lenses I wanted and couldn't have when I was younger (and I love using them with film cameras and every so often the K-01 or K3). Then I got a DA40 Ltd. with the K-01 (NOT the XS). Oh boy. Just got an SMC DA15/4.

I can feel the big binge on the horizon - ALL the SMC Limiteds . . . . .
Yeah... I just went on a binge that was at least 3 years in the making. I'd picked up the 31ltd a couple years ago and stayed it at that for a good while. But my K-3 purchase started an avalanche and I put the K-7 and K-5 up for sale to finance it, but that quickly escalated. Up for sale went both those bodies with grip, my M50 1.4 and M35 2.0, (kinda sad about those actually) along with DA50 1.8 and my old Ricoh GRDIII ........ IN comes first the 43ltd on a whim, followed by (well I might as well keep going since I have craigslist cash just "lying" around, *sigh*) the K 50mm 1.2 and culminating with the 77ltd to finish off the long-awaited 3-Amigo desire. WHOA boy... Only downside is it's a bit like when I used to go on a music binge, picking up a number LPs or CDs all at once and not knowing where the hell to start! :-D All that remains is the K-5 (surprising) with grip and 50 1.8 attached to find a new home.
(**Please note this is just sharing my story and is *not* a for-sale plug. I am not selling on Pentax forums because I prefer Craigslist locally for that kind of thing, so please do not ask.)

At any rate... mixed feeling all around only because some pieces I enjoyed very much have moved on, but the 31ltd now has very nice company in the lens case. (oh, I picked up the pentax LTD lens case as well hahaha)

Time to go do my taxes, excuse me.

02-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Anyone near the Atlanta area - there's a 31Ltd on Craigslist for 800 dollars. The seller says it's priced low because it has a hood that is not the original hood.

I also see a good number of them showing up in our Marketplace... I wonder why people seem to enjoy them for a while, then sell them. For those of you who sold them - why were they not keepers?
02-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
You mean you like it better than the FA 31?
If I didn't know the cost of the two, then the FA 31 is the better lens. Great feel, great construction, a pure pleasure to use.

But I do know the cost, and the FA 31 is not 5 times better for 5 times the cost. I don't get to use the DA 35 2.4 often as it is preferred by my fiance (over the 31), and I would rather use the FA 43.

But yes, in purely my opinion, for general everyday use, the DA 35 2.4 is the better of the two. If the FA 35 wasn't so sinfully aesthetically ugly, then maybe that would be the better lens.
02-19-2014, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Anyone near the Atlanta area - there's a 31Ltd on Craigslist for 800 dollars. The seller says it's priced low because it has a hood that is not the original hood.
I think they mean lens cap.

The FA 31 Ltd "hood" is the rabbit ears.
Unless you're really careless with a Dremel tool,
it would be hard to lose them.
02-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #27
Pentaxian

If the FA 35 wasn't so sinfully aesthetically ugly, then maybe that would be the better lens.
LOL. I don't have one of those models yet. Maybe I should get one. Kind of like driving around in a Pontiac Aztec. Ugly as sin but functional.
02-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The FA 31 Ltd "hood" is the rabbit ears.
Unless you're really careless with a Dremel tool,
it would be hard to lose them.
LOL

I just had a mental image of someone trying to "accidentally" remove the hood from a FA 31 with a dremel.