Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #1

vintage lens storage

Hi - I have a question that I hope someone can help me with.

I have a collection of factory fresh totally untouched lenses and camera comprising of a Pentax SV with light meter, Super Takumar 200mm f3.5, Super Takumar 28mm f3.5, Super Takumar 55mm f1.8, all 3 lens hoods in original cases apart from the 200mm hood that's contained in with the lens it's self. Also all the straps for the lens cases are still sealed inside their own leather zipped case.
I would like to pass on these items to my son when he is old enough (he's 2 at the moment) what would be the best way and place to store them all?

Any advice would be great thankst

02-18-2014, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Store them in a cool dry place, with silica gel packets that you change out every so often. Also, try to run a roll through the camera and work the lenses at least every year to keep the lubricants from seizing up. You'll also need to give the whole kit a good CLA in 10 or so years when your son is ready, if nothing else to change the seals in the camera and adjust the meter. The lenses may have accumulated oil on the aperture blades as well that should be cleaned. Hopefully Eric Hendrickson hasn't retired by then.

The leather cases and straps (and the camera body leatherette) may need some conditioner, or it will start flaking and dry rotting.

You might consider getting a nice leather replacement kit from camera leather.com; I highly recommend their stuff.
03-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Brofkand.

Just one more question - should I place all the items in a sealed air tight case?

I was thinking about leaving the case open and getting the humidity in the room down to around 20% then sealing the case shut with duck tape to stop any ambient moisture getting in
03-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would not recommend sealing them. Any moisture in the case when you seal it will stay in there, possibly leading to fungus or mold.

I think silica gel in a case (preferably plastic, like a Pelican case) is all you really need.