Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marry up... Marry up.

02-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I have both 35mm Ltd and 70mm ltd. (Also own the DA 15mm Ltd). I use the 35 for normal stuff. Plus macro, which is new to me but very fun. The 70 is not just a "portrait lens" in my opinion. It is a short tele that gives me some reach with incredible color, sharpness and definition. The 35 is just a pure joy to have on the camera. All shots are beautiful, if I get the exposure correct! Both lenses are small, inobtrusive and easy to carry on the camera for many hours. The 70 is wonderful for landscapes, portraits, and even critters if they are close. Plus the close focus ability of both lenses allows macro type shots, although the 35 clearly excels in 1:1 macro.

My advice is to buy both lenses. And then buy the 15mm Ltd. You will be happy.
02-20-2014, 03:46 PM   #33
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
I have both 35mm Ltd and 70mm ltd. (Also own the DA 15mm Ltd). I use the 35 for normal stuff. Plus macro, which is new to me but very fun. The 70 is not just a "portrait lens" in my opinion. It is a short tele that gives me some reach with incredible color, sharpness and definition. The 35 is just a pure joy to have on the camera. All shots are beautiful, if I get the exposure correct! Both lenses are small, inobtrusive and easy to carry on the camera for many hours. The 70 is wonderful for landscapes, portraits, and even critters if they are close. Plus the close focus ability of both lenses allows macro type shots, although the 35 clearly excels in 1:1 macro.

My advice is to buy both lenses. And then buy the 15mm Ltd. You will be happy.
Happy but so-very poor.

I suppose not buying food is as good a way as any to lose that extra Christmas weight I've been wanting to shift!

In all seriousness though, I likely will end up with a stable of Ltds at some point - it'll just take a little while...
02-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #34
Veteran Member

DA Ltds

Well of course buying all at once is like buying a new K3. But if,you have a good camera body, those lenses will produce more immediate impact on photos than buying a new cam. IMHO.

Buy during Black Friday promos. buy the older DA "green stripe" lenses with same optics as the newer HD. Buy clearance: Adorama and B&H both have the 21 Ltd (DA) at $489. The 15 and 35 and 70 Ltds are not cheap.

By the way, I have all four and my problem is deciding which lens to use on a given day. They are all spectacular. The 15mm is my favorite, followed by the 35 Macro Ltd, then the 21 Ltd, then the 70 Ltd. Your mileage may vary.

02-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Well of course buying all at once is like buying a new K3. But if,you have a good camera body, those lenses will produce more immediate impact on photos than buying a new cam. IMHO.

Buy during Black Friday promos. buy the older DA "green stripe" lenses with same optics as the newer HD. Buy clearance: Adorama and B&H both have the 21 Ltd (DA) at $489. The 15 and 35 and 70 Ltds are not cheap.

By the way, I have all four and my problem is deciding which lens to use on a given day. They are all spectacular. The 15mm is my favorite, followed by the 35 Macro Ltd, then the 21 Ltd, then the 70 Ltd. Your mileage may vary.
I've always been one for promoting glass over bodies, but I've moved systems a couple of times recently (went mirrorless, decided it wasn't all that) and as a result lost a load of lenses in the migration.

Unfortunately US prices just have no correlation with UK prices - it's all rather more expensive over here, which means that even second-hand things can get a bit silly. I would give my eye teeth for B&H over here, or Black Friday. Alas, we're stuck with Jessops and Boxing Day sales (where it's more likely you'll get a free UV filter thrown in)

I think my own roadmap is going to be:

35mm 2.8
43mm 1.9
15mm 4.0
70mm 2.4 (or 77mm, depending on what I can find)
02-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Woolcott Quote
Having looked at your Flickr, now I want a 21mm too.
Christ I can see this getting expensive. Best get sofa diving I guess.
Not necessarily, unless you get any one of the Limiteds and then you are a gonner

Back to your original post - since you are happy with a 50mm f1.7 (presumably manual focus ?) why not spend £10 or so on eBay and get a M135 f3.5 ? A great little lens, under-rated and hence cheap, sharp wide open and small enough not to be noticed. Ideal for squirrel shots ...

Some Pentax-M 135mm f3.5 Shots
02-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Alas, we're stuck with Jessops and Boxing Day sales
Have you tried SRS Microsystems?

They only have the DA 20-40 Ltd on offer at the moment,
but could be worth watching.

02-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
And since you are in the UK their Pentax forum is also worth watching, there is usually good, well looked after, used stuff up for sale at better prices than SRS themselves or eBay.
02-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I do love the very idea of the DA Limiteds but I doubt that I will ever purchase one with the exception of the 15mm which is next on my list. It's uncanny that I've gone since 2006 being completely content with my 50-135 and selection old Pentax-Ms (now all gone). I bought the 31 about a year and a half ago, and in the past month I've binged considerably. I still shoot occasionally on my K1000 so anything with FF coverage is more appealing and the FA LTDs just have something to them that I hold more dear. Size be damned, they are still quite small for what they are. The DAs are MINISCULE considering what they deliver no doubt.

Incidentally, Woolcott, another fantastic resouce: http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-35mm/system-Pentax-Autofocus/category-Fixed...cc=3108&r=WG&f

$40USD shipping to UK... Ever changing quality selection.
02-21-2014, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #40
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote

They only have the DA 20-40 Ltd on offer at the moment, but could be worth watching.
They sound a really solid company - I'll be sure to go to them when buying new, but they were listing a 35mm for £329 used!

Another excellent shout on the 135mm from the looks of your flickr - duly added to the eBay watch list. I really need to follow your lead on the flickr tagging btw; makes tracking things down so much easier.

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
And since you are in the UK their Pentax forum is also worth watching, there is usually good, well looked after, used stuff up for sale at better prices than SRS themselves or eBay.
I'd never seen that page before - looks like a potential goldmine. Cheers for the heads up!

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I do love the very idea of the DA Limiteds but I doubt that I will ever purchase one with the exception of the 15mm which is next on my list. It's uncanny that I've gone since 2006 being completely content with my 50-135 and selection old Pentax-Ms (now all gone). I bought the 31 about a year and a half ago, and in the past month I've binged considerably. I still shoot occasionally on my K1000 so anything with FF coverage is more appealing and the FA LTDs just have something to them that I hold more dear. Size be damned, they are still quite small for what they are. The DAs are MINISCULE considering what they deliver no doubt.

Incidentally, Woolcott, another fantastic resouce: Pentax Autofocus Fixed Focal Length Lenses - KEH.com

$40USD shipping to UK... Ever changing quality selection.
I bought a few things from KEH, but HMRC were very keen to levy their share, as were Royal Mail. Still can make for a bargain though; I love how odd their condition grading can be! Once bought a BGN Nikkor for about half the price of anywhere else, which had a small scratch on the barrel yet was pretty minty otherwise.

Quick update - I finally bought a 35mm from a fellow south-of-the-river Londoner for a steal. £235 all in, which I'd call a bargain. I'll hopefully have it in hand come next week and shall post up some photos as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks for everyone's help - bloody invaluable!
02-25-2014, 02:55 AM   #41
Forum Member

Original Poster
It's arrived!

So the 35mm just got to my front door...

It's a bloody horrible day so far here in London, so all I've been able to manage are some boring indoors shots. Still impressed by how the lens performs though!

Obligatory camera p0rn

02-25-2014, 03:17 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Nice shots !

Get a cheap 55mm plastic slip-on lens cap off eBay - the metal one costs £40 odd to replace if you lose it. My plastic one has 'Zenit' on it but I don't care
02-25-2014, 03:20 AM   #43
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Nice shots !

Get a cheap 55mm plastic slip-on lens cap off eBay - the metal one costs £40 odd to replace if you lose it. My plastic one has 'Zenit' on it but I don't care
Cheers!

*Buys cap-keepers off Amazon*
02-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #44
Veteran Member

So, having put a few pennies I found down the back of various sofas together, I have enough to get either one of these lenses used from a local camera shop.

I know that it's comparing apples and oranges, but which do we reckon gives the most bang for the buck? I mainly use my 50mm 1.7 when I'm out and about, and whilst I love that lens, I think it's high time something came along to challenge its place in my affections.

Whilst I have no particular need for macro, it's something I would love to give a try. Given that most of my photography at the moment is either street or concert-based though, I feel that the 70mm may be more useful for what I currently do.

What would people recommend in terms of wow factor and happiness with cost?

(FWIW I'm looking at about £290/$485 for either)
The 50mm 1.7 is wonderfully sharp lens and you won't notice much of a difference between it and the 50 Macro Ltd IMO.....go for the 70 Ltd.
Now if you want a recommendation for a really cool Macro I'd highly recommend either the FA 50mm 2.8 Macro or even better the FA 100mm 2.8 Macro....these are both fantastic lenses plus they are also both FF lenses (plan for the future)....my suggestion is get the FA 100mm 2.8 Macro and you will thank me later...

PS..replied to your original post and found you've since purchased the 35 Macro...enjoy it!

Last edited by peterjcb; 02-25-2014 at 10:37 AM.
02-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #45
Veteran Member

So the 35mm just got to my front door...

It's a bloody horrible day so far here in London, so all I've been able to manage are some boring indoors shots. Still impressed by how the lens performs though!

Obligatory camera p0rn
Nice shots! I love my 35 Macro Ltd.