Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2014, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mack warranty blames impact damage for SDM failure

hello,

I sent my DA*50-135 awhile ago to Mack Camera because the AF is starting to squeak and freeze. I purchased a 7 yr warranty from Mack when I bought the lens.

Today Mack sends me an email with an estimate to repair my lens. They say it has impact damage and they want to charge me $282 to replace filter frame, rear mounting unit, SMD unit, main PCB assembly and repair focusing lens group.

I'm extremely disappointed with that email. They can't be without knowing about SDM issue with this very lens model. Not to mention the SDM was still operating when I sent the lens about a month ago. It was just starting to squeak and freeze when not used for a few days. It's clearly a case of SDM starting to fail.

Anyways I called and left a message. I also wrote them an email to complain. I really feel they are trying to rip me off.

Any help on how to handle this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

02-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Are you sure it did not get damaged in transit?
From their description it sounds like they are quoting extensive damage that is not the condition you sent it in I suspect?
02-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No I'm not sure what happened but they received it a month ago. I have their confirmation of reception with no mention of damage whatsoever. Then they notified me that they were sending it to Pentax for repair. And now this email.
02-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Apparently they believe the filter frame has been impact damaged along with some of the inner lens workings (focusing lens group and rear mounting unit). Has the lens sustained recent physical damage? You may want to ask them to provide photo documentation of the impact damage as well as documentation of the packaging on receipt.

Steve

02-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've read some terrible things about Mack in the past and them not honoring warranties. I'm so sorry :/
02-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Apparently they believe the filter frame has been impact damaged along with some of the inner lens workings (focusing lens group and rear mounting unit). Has the lens sustained recent physical damage? You may want to ask them to provide photo documentation of the impact damage as well as documentation of the packaging on receipt.

Steve
The lens never sustained any damage under my watch. There was not even a scratch on it when I sent it and it was still operating fine besides the squeaking noise and temporary freeze. I have asked for pictures and said I will only talk to a manager.
And the weird thing is they sent me an email early February to let me know that they sent the DA* to the manufacturer for repair and they would notify when the repair is completed.
Unbelievable.

Last edited by nicoprod; 02-19-2014 at 04:28 PM.
02-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks for posting this. I was always sceptical about Mack warranties.
02-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Never trusted Mack Warranties... there were posts in the other forum years ago about supposed fake damage at repair...

Please let them know that you will be posting the outcome of your 'warranty repair' on many camera forums so you are hoping for a fair outcome...

02-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If you have written proof that they received the lens, made no mention of obvious external damage, then a month later they claim the lens has impact damage, it sounds like they dropped the lens or their shipper damaged it on the way to Pentax. Mack should be responsible and if they resist contact your town/county consumer affairs dept. for advice.
02-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
If you have written proof that they received the lens, made no mention of obvious external damage, then a month later they claim the lens has impact damage, it sounds like they dropped the lens or their shipper damaged it on the way to Pentax. Mack should be responsible and if they resist contact your town/county consumer affairs dept. for advice.
Yes I have the confirmation that they received the lens and sent it to Pentax.

The status on their website is :

StatusLocation: PENTAXNotesThere is currently an estimate for repair because the malfunction is not
covered under the service contract, or you do not have an extended service contract

And on their estimate they say SDM failure is due to impact damage - NOT FACTORY DEFECT.

This is gonna be fun....
02-19-2014, 10:43 PM   #11
Pentaxian

You sent it to Mack.
Mack received it. No impact damage.
Mack tried to repair it. They must have looked at the lens. Still no claim of impact damage.
Mack packed the lens, selected a shipping company, sent it to Pentax. Pentax saw impact damage. Logical conclusion is the lens was damaged by Mack, or the shipping company, or Pentax. Mack should be responsible; if they or one of their subcontractors damaged the lens it's not your responsibility to pay for that repair.

Try escalating this by phone rather than email. Contact Us | Mack Cam Worldwide Warranty lists phone numbers. Hopefully you'll get someone to answer.

(Warranty companies increase profits by denying claims. That's why I stopped buying them long ago.)
02-20-2014, 05:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Mack packed the lens, selected a shipping company, sent it to Pentax. Pentax saw impact damage.
I'm not sure Pentax saw some impact damage because the estimate for repair comes from Mack. I wouldn't be surprised if there was no impact at all on my lens and Mack was just trying to have me pay for what Pentax charged them to repair.
Thank you for the replies everybody.
02-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update: Eric from Mack Camera called me back and said they didn't notice any damage on my lens when they sent it to Pentax. It is a Pentax technician that said there is impact damage and SDM failure is not due to factory defect. Eric will call them when they open today to get more information.
02-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
Update: Eric from Mack Camera called me back and said they didn't notice any damage on my lens when they sent it to Pentax. It is a Pentax technician that said there is impact damage and SDM failure is not due to factory defect. Eric will call them when they open today to get more information.
Hmmm...so much for the thieving, money-grabbing folk at Mack.

Steve
02-20-2014, 05:57 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPDATE: The authorized Pentax service center sent Mack Camera a picture of the impact damage. see attached picture. Mack does not have any documentation showing that the lens was already damaged when they received it at their facility. Something happened along the way... Anyways Mack is offering to pay for repair. My only worry at this point is that obviously the lens has been dropped and now it's being repaired for something totally different. Plus Eric from Mack told me Pentax takes for ever to repair...

I have to admit that Mack Camera has been very good since I first complained. They are handling the situation properly so far.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio W90  Photo