Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Any experience with Mitakon 85mm f/2.0?

Hey guys...
I've been thinking about getting an 85mm lens, and i read about the Mitakon.
I like the idea of getting those not well known lenses to try out, but i wouldn't like to get a bad lens.
Do you think that getting the Samyang 85mm would be a better option? Any sharpness tests with the Mitakon?
Thank you all!

02-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey there!

There were a couple threads about this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/235007-chin...ver-style.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/235625-mita...mpression.html

Lots of people are wondering the same question as you.
Basically, the Mitakon cannot stand up to the Samyang. Mitakon has less automation (no A mode on aperture ring, I think), worse sharpness wide open. Mitakon is an interesting lens at a great price, but the Samyang 85mm is an amazing lens at a great price. Only problems Ive heard about the Samyang 85mm is focus ring being annoyingly stiff, making focusing difficult. The Samyang also has no contacts or AF, but it has A-mode on aperture ring, which is a lot of help.

---------- Post added 20th Feb 2014 at 01:36 ----------

The threads that I linked have sample photos towards the end. They show that Mitakon gets good above f3.5. Samyang is pretty great even wide open.
02-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hey there!

There were a couple threads about this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/235007-chin...ver-style.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/235625-mita...mpression.html

Lots of people are wondering the same question as you.
Basically, the Mitakon cannot stand up to the Samyang. Mitakon has less automation (no A mode on aperture ring, I think), worse coatings, worse sharpness wide open. Mitakon is an interesting lens at a great price, but the Samyang 85mm is an amazing lens at a great price. Only problems Ive heard about the Samyang 85mm is focus ring being annoyingly stiff, making focusing difficult.

---------- Post added 20th Feb 2014 at 01:36 ----------

The threads that I linked have sample photos towards the end. They show that Mitakon gets good above f3.5. Samyang is pretty great even wide open.
Hey!
I've read those threads...i kind of wanted to see if anyone could add something that they didn't say in there...
Well...I guess the Samyang is really the way to go...
I lost my chance of buying it when i was in NY...i even tried it for a short while i was at the B&H store, i should have paid more attention.
On my last day in NY i bought the OME-53, and it made me more excited about manual focus. When i came back to Brazil i started to explore more manual lenses, but now its too late to get the Samyang in store...my last hope is eBay. We'll see about that.
Thank you!
02-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mitakon has less automation (no A mode on aperture ring, I think)
No aperture coupling whatsoever (fully manual diaphragm, always stopped down)!!

Steve

---------- Post added 02-19-14 at 05:38 PM ----------

The Samyang also has no contacts or AF, but it has A-mode on aperture ring, which is a lot of help.
No contacts? It has the "A" position on the aperture ring and the contacts to support that feature. What it lacks is the data contact that is only available with AF lenses.

Steve

02-19-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
At the price they want I would rather have a Jupiter 9...