Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Do I have too many lenses?

OK...as you can now see from my signature I have in my opinion a fairly well rounded collection of lenses that pretty much covers the entire range of distances that I plan in photographing.
What I'd like to ask is if there is any reason I should possibly hold on to the kit lens?
If not I'd probably put it up for sale here for 50 bucks. Its only a few months old and its pretty much in like new condition. Opinions please.

04-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wont get rig of mine....
04-15-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I could afford one lens, a 50 1.4, when I bought my camera. After using it for 6 months, I find I can do nearly everything I need to do with it, though I'm breaking down for a 16-50 DA* soon. If you ask me, three lenses are all a non pro photographer needs, and I'm speaking from a semi pro perspective (newspaper/wedding/freelance work).
Sell it and get a better wide angle.
04-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It definitely wouldn't hurt to hang on to it, as you may find yourself in a situation where it wouldn't be desirable to change lenses, like weather conditions where you wouldn't want to take your more expensive lenses out. That being said, I noticed that you have the 18-250, which you could use if you simply didn't want to change lenses.

As for the 18-55, if something happens to mine, I'm a lot less likely to cry if it were to get ruined than if it were my more expensive lenses.

Heather

04-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I wont get rig of mine....
Nice shot Jones. If you have a macro right there, it would be .
04-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It was the kit lens with +1, +2 and +4 filters on it.
04-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Then that's a quite sharp picture I have to admit.

04-15-2008, 07:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
OK...as you can now see from my signature I have in my opinion a fairly well rounded collection of lenses that pretty much covers the entire range of distances that I plan in photographing.
What I'd like to ask is if there is any reason I should possibly hold on to the kit lens?
If not I'd probably put it up for sale here for 50 bucks. Its only a few months old and its pretty much in like new condition. Opinions please.
From your signature, the only question you need to ask is, does the tamron do al the same things as the kit lens, up to the 55 mm focal length of the kit lens, apature included.

If so, and if it is as good, and not too big, then I don't see a reason to keep the kit lens.
04-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well the money that the kit lens demands, versus the actual demand for it... now with the release of the Kit 2.0 out. To me its not worth the hassle, but if the price is right I may buy it to give to my nephew when I give him my K110D.
04-15-2008, 09:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, I can say this - I was going to hold on to my 18-55 kit after I got the Tamron 18-250, but I found I was just never using the 18-55 anymore, so I sold it. The Tamron was just too good. We'll see if that particular 18-250 has the same effect on you.
04-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
One consideration is the compact size of the kit lens combined with its versatility. It might just be a keeper for walking into party situations.
04-16-2008, 06:20 AM   #12
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by hudsong Quote
I could afford one lens, a 50 1.4, when I bought my camera. After using it for 6 months, I find I can do nearly everything I need to do with it, though I'm breaking down for a 16-50 DA* soon. If you ask me, three lenses are all a non pro photographer needs, and I'm speaking from a semi pro perspective (newspaper/wedding/freelance work).
I have met non pro photographers without camera.
04-16-2008, 06:44 AM   #13
Veteran Member

This logic baffles me

QuoteOriginally posted by hudsong Quote
Sell it and get a better wide angle.
This just baffles me. You say you could only afford the 50 but are saving for the 16-50. According to the survey Buddha Jones posted about 1/3 of the buyers of this lens got a bad copy. Both isteve and Ben have given up on this lens and both of them know a lot more about lenses than most of us. There seems to be good evidence the design of the AF mechanism has some weak parts that will give you problems down the road. You and many others are still willing to lay out over $600 for a product with all of these problems. Why on earth would anybody be willing to spend this kind of money on a poorly constructed lens that will have to be sent back 1 out of 3 times? I just don't understand the logic here and would love to have somebody explain it to me. Don't bother to tell me that when you get a good copy it does a great job because you still have the poorly designed problem facing you down the road.

Regards,
Ken
04-16-2008, 07:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

One reason to keep it is when you don't want to carry a bag full of primes, and just want the camera along for snaps. Seeing that you also have the Tamron 18-250, which has an IQ about the same as the kit, and a speed range about the same, but has a much larger FL range, I see no reason for you to keep the kit lens, other than to have it to sell with the body when you upgrade.
04-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll keep the kit lens for a for while and see how well I like the 18-250 as a walk around lens.

If I find it satisfies all my requirements I'll think about selling the kit lens it at that time.