Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2014, 06:48 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter

I have a list of lenses that I want, but then I always end up looking at eBay & buying some quirky old film lens!

02-21-2014, 07:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I have a list of lenses that I want, but then I always end up looking at eBay & buying some quirky old film lens!
So far I have been doing this a lot too. Quite a few amazing finds, like the Quantaray 28-90 which was very cheap but managed to yield some very impressive images. Colors are washed out a bit and there is a fair bit of distortion but for sharpness, it's great. It still has it's place in my arsenal and probably will for a while too. My Deitz 135 f/2.8 MF also comes to mind not ultra sharp but it renders very pleasing pictures.
02-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #18
Site Supporter

There's just a ton of interesting old film lenses hanging around eBay for under $100. They're hard to resist!
02-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting list. My "list" (more like wish list) is quite different, but considering what you have and want, I'd go like this...

. Start with DFA 100 Macro. You don't have a real macro, so you must be curious to see how that is going to change the way you do macro pictures. Plus you don't have a prime in that range and it would be very useful for portraits, as you said. This would get a lot of use right now.
. Then go for the Sigma 10-20. You need a real wide lens, but by what you said, you won't need it for another couple months.
. Then DA*55. 50 1.8 is good but this should be quite an improvement.
. Then DA*16-50. Lots of people love this lens and it should also be an improvement over the Sigma in IQ.
. Then the Sigma 70-200. Seems quite redundant with the 50-135 (I'd get the DA*200 or DA*300, but hey, if you need the Sigma, get the Sigma...)
. Finally, the Sigma 85 1.4. For portraits it seems a bit redundant with the DFA 100, though it's quite a bit faster so the bokeh would be nice.

If you're planning this for the next couple years though, my guess is that by the time you go through the first 2-3 items in your list, the rest of the list will change considerably and you probably won't get to some of the lenses you think you want now, because you'll see something you'll want more

02-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
I'm all about my statistics... And my focal lengths are all over the place
I've got a whole lot less hardcore with age, it's now just me and my ladies that go out.

SMC Pentax-A 15mm F3.5 "Mistress"
SMC Pentax-A 20mm F2.8 "Good Lady"
SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.2 "Special Lady"
SMC Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4 "Sweetheart"
SMC Pentax-A* 135mm F1.8, "Lady luck”

With whom I can cover most eventualities.
02-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I've got a whole lot less hardcore with age, it's now just me and my ladies that go out.

SMC Pentax-A 15mm F3.5 "Mistress"
SMC Pentax-A 20mm F2.8 "Good Lady"
SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.2 "Special Lady"
SMC Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4 "Sweetheart"
SMC Pentax-A* 135mm F1.8, "Lady luck”

With whom I can cover most eventualities.
Very nice. How's the special lady? I have been looking on and off for one but they always ended up too expensive for a "caprice" lens or in a very bad shape. Always wondered how classy this lady could be?
02-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Looking for 50 1.2? KEH has a good selection of them right now... Ks and As... And that's the type of lens that I would only buy from a reputable dealer. Not from Ebay! Not from Adorama or B&H either, I've heard stories of them being a bit "optimistic" with their rating of the lens conditions...

I wouldn't be afraid to try the KEH BGN (bargain) rating lens either... in fact, I just have - and my lens was in what would be described on Ebay as "mint", I'm sure...

02-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not actively looking for one, it comes and goes, right now I'd rather get stuff I'm gonna use often. The 1.2 to me is more like a vintage car... Nice to own, looks good in the garage but gets driven on rare occasions only. One of my good friend loved his so much that I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he got buried with it when he passed away.

But thanks for the tip, if I haven't sold my car and my house by the time I got all the lenses that I want, I'll probably consider it
03-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So one of my friend came over yesterday to show off his new baby, a Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 (on a Canon). I was very interested because this is a new addition from Sigma to the Pentax K mount and I just bought the 35mm f/1.4. We played around a bit and this thing is amazing, Sigma sure did a great job with their Art series. If you don't mind their size.

So yesterday I had my mind set at getting the DA* 16-50 (which I was gonna order today) but after seeing what this puppy (the 18-35) was capable of I dumped the idea of the DA* and ordered a Sigma first thing this morning. The focal length is a bit shorter than what I wanted and it's not WR but the image it capture are astonishing (on the Canon 70D at least).

So like everyone with a lens wish list, I ended up buying a lens which was not on the list. In a focal range that is a bit on the short side. But if the pictures are half as nice on my Pentax as they are on the 70D, I'll be in heaven.

So next up, the Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 in April or May... Unless of course I decide to go with a wide prime.
03-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #25
Pentaxian

If you never had or used a lens of certain focal lengths it is hard to know how much you would like it. After my wife got the Sigma 10-20 (not the 3.5 but the slower one) I found myself suddenly shooting wide or ultra wide. I am working on getting a DA15 now because of that Seeing how you decided on the 18-35, the 10-20 has hardly any overlap and the 8-16 is hardly missing any range so you could go for either one of those.

For myself the 15DA seems to be the only lens on my list and that goes for four different formats so there is hope for some people
03-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
I found myself suddenly shooting wide or ultra wide.
I know the feeling. Recently I shot everything (including the kitchen sink) with my 35mm. I will probably do the same with the new lens when it gets in. I don't know if it's the "new toy" effect or because each step of the way, the toys keep getting better... That's why (and the money) I try to space my acquisitions by a couple months, so I get to use and learn each new lens before the next one takes it place.
03-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, I'm slowly upgrading my kit which is mostly composed of cheap/slow yet impressive glass. Besides my last two lenses (DA*50-135 and Sigma 35) I never paid more than $300 for one.

I'm not a pro or anything, I'm just a normal dude a bit OCD regarding my pictures with a severe case of LBA. I'm doing lots of interiors (natural light) and portraits and I travel a lot, I need fast lenses for low light and good zooms for when I travel. And I'd like to get SDM and quickshift on all my lenses too. WR is always welcome but I can live without. At the moment I own a K5 and a K-r but a K3 is on the way.

So here's what I'm looking at, I'll probably end up getting all of the lenses over the next couple years or so, I'm just not sure in which order I should get them.

Sigma 85mm f/1.4. This would be a new focal length to my collection. I've got it covered by a few zooms (Sigma 18-200, Pentax DA* 50-135 and Pentax DA 50-200WR) but no primes.

Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5. This too would be a new addition to my kit. Mostly for landscape. Right now I've got nothing this wide (closest is a Sigma 17-70).

Sigma OS 70-200mm f/2.8. I've already have this range pretty well covered (Sigma 18-200, DA* 50-135 and DA 50-200WR). But having tried out that lens a few times, I just love it... so, I need it.

DFA 100mm f/2.8 QS WR. Right now, for macro I use an old A50 f/1.7 or a DA50 f/1.8 with a vivitar 2x Macro Teleconverter. I'm not unhappy about what I have but my A50 has had a long hard life, so did the tele. And having a 100mm with autofocus for portraiture could come in handy too.

DA* 55mm f/1.4 QS WR. This would be a direct replacement of my DA50 f/1.8. I'd like to get a faster lens with quickshift. WR is also a nice plus.

DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 QS WR. This would end up replacing my Sigma 17-70 (it is aging and has a few speck of dust in it). This would end up on one of my bodies at all times when travelling.

I've already compared each lens with other ones from different manufacturers and if it is on my list, it's because I feel it's better than the competition in one way or another. So I am not looking at alternatives.

My decision process was mostly like this:
1- IQ
2- Speed
3- QS
4- SDM/HSM
5- WR
6- Price

So, in what order would be your shopping list?
Not sure on the decision list, but what you need to consider is "need". I mean what do you take photos of, and where are you weak. Assuming you have a kit lens in the mix somewhere, I could imagine, extended range is number 1 priority, therefore perhaps a 300/4 or a 10-20 or 12-24 zoom could be reasonable
03-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Always wondered how classy this lady could be
She out classes me most of the time and I use her a lot.
09-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Don't forget the Tamron 70-200, no SDM, but every time I see a picture I've taken with it, I'm glad I have it. I think it renders much nicer than the Sigma. The Sig is sharp, but doesn't have that magic. The Tamron has it in spades, and it's quite a bit less expensive.
It's true Tamron in my view has better coating compared to Sigma, much closer to Pentax colors than the latter.