Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hood for FA31 Ltd

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,

I got a FA 31 Ltd recently. I was wondering what's the best thing to do about that strange little hood. One would think it was designed to work fine the way it is but... I didn't have time to really test the lens outdoor, not to mention there's a polar vortex going on around here.

Is that hood enough protection from sunlight and/or impact on the front element?

If not, what can be done about it?

Thank you!

02-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You can always put a UV filter on if you want to protect the front element. On top of that you could improvise and mount a generic rubber hood if you really wanted to, but I think most people just stick with the built-in hood.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-21-2014, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

I use this -> Amazon.com: Janco 58MM Diameter lens adapter tube for Panasonic DMC-FZ18, DMC-FZ28, DMC-FZ35 and DMC-FZ38 to accept 58MM Filter, Lens caps, adapters & auxiliary lens: Camera & Photo. Then I got an old FA-style Pentax 58mm lens cap to throw on the end. It does not vignette in digital. It might on film.
02-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hood is good protection without reducing image quality. Some people like to use a third party screw-on folding rubber hood in situations, where the lens hood could function as "air bag" (like in nightclubs). But that hood on a FA 31mm limited.. :X
There are also protection filters, that are supposed to cause as little IQ loss as possible. These are screw-on, too. They are useful for when you have particles or something flying around. For example, sea splash or sand grains.

Also, keep in mind the FA 31mm is not WR - so if the weather conditions are so bad you have to worry about damage, you probably shouldnt take it out. I wouldnt want to risk such a nice lens. For situations like that it makes more sense to use a WR zoom. Lots of people like the DA 18-135mm WR as their "bad weather" lens (but of course, its IQ is not on the same level as the FA 31mm)

02-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The hood is designed for a full-frame sensor, so it's actually a little wide for APS-C. I've used a couple of step-down rings to narrow the opening and provide additional protection without causing any vignetting.
02-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Also, you should not be using a lens hood for "protection." They are meant to be used to increase contrast by keeping highly directed light out of the lens. On a supremely flare resistant lens like the FA 31 Limited, a hood does less than it would for say the DA* 16-50. If something were to hit a metal lens hood, you risk damage to your filter ring at least, and possibly the front element.
02-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by miltona580 Quote
If something were to hit a metal lens hood, you risk damage to your filter ring at least, and possibly the front element.
On the other hand, if something were to slam directly into the front element, the whole lens would take the brunt of impact. In the worst case scenario, dropping the lens, if it lands on the front element, that's the end of the lens. If there's a hood attached, the filter threads may get wrecked but at least the lens will live. Plastic hoods may be best because they will crack or shatter on impact, thus transmitting none of the blow to the lens or threads.

With the small built-in hood of the FA31, this is a bit different, of course. The *primary* purpose of a lens hood should not be protection but there's no reason not to tout it as a secondary benefit.

02-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think hoods do offer some protection, As almost anything would first hit the hood before the lens, and a broken hood is not as bad as a broken lens. But its true that a metal hood transfers most of the impact straight to the filter thread. That is why i suggested a softer rubber hood for the purpose of protection
02-21-2014, 06:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by miltona580 Quote
I use this -> Amazon.com: Janco 58MM Diameter lens adapter tube for Panasonic DMC-FZ18, DMC-FZ28, DMC-FZ35 and DMC-FZ38 to accept 58MM Filter, Lens caps, adapters & auxiliary lens: Camera & Photo. Then I got an old FA-style Pentax 58mm lens cap to throw on the end. It does not vignette in digital. It might on film.
This lens hood works wonders on a 31. While it will create issues with the cap, it does a great job of increasing contrast and reducing flare. Protection is another issue, but if you're equating hoods with protection you're working off the wrong equation to begin with.

And if you use this hood on the 31, you'll clip the corners on film. But it's great on digital.

Either way, tough to not enjoy the 31.
02-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everybody!

QuoteOriginally posted by innivus Quote
This lens hood works wonders on a 31
Found a picture of that hood...
Attached Images

02-22-2014, 12:06 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
Found a picture of that hood...
Using one of this:
Adapter Tube 58mm FOR Panasonic FZ28 FZ35 ADD Filter US 060085 | eBay
02-22-2014, 04:51 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I removed the glass from a couple of old beat-up filters, stacked then screwed them together and into the filter threads of the 31. The original lens cap was replaced with an old plastic pinch cap. Total cost was less than $5.

Works great... M
02-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I use 58-58 mm rings, unfortunately I didn't get anything to match my silver FA31 so it's kind of a weird combination but works.