Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2008, 05:18 AM   #16
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 269
Thank you, John. Those are great.

04-25-2008, 06:16 AM   #17
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New jersey
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 152
QuoteOriginally posted by John Kovarik Quote
Well, Tbear here are two more; one, at least has feathers...........I hope these suit your needs.
Sorry about the delay, been bizzy..........these were run thru Picasa, cropped only........

Flickr Photo Download: DA* 300 test

Flickr Photo Download: DA* 300 test
John, congrats on the new lens; the pics are great. I've been trying to buy this new lens but every place I visit, tells me that it won't be available until 5/31. Where did you buy it? And if you don't mind, what was the price?
Thanks and happy shooting
04-25-2008, 06:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member
channeler's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northwich Cheshire England
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,008
Gerry, both John and I got the DA* 300 from Prodigital2000. You can do a search on ebay to find them. On looking at their website today the lens is currently being sold for $1,169.99 CA and there are 2 available at present.

Paul
04-25-2008, 10:43 AM   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto (for now)
Posts: 1,749
The thing is, to hit 500mm you need a 1.7x converter so you're at f/6.3 anyway (same as the bigma).

Used Bigma is maybe $900, new 300/4 + 1.7TC is around $1400.

That's a big gap.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cvrn Quote
OK serious question here.

I have the Bigma now and have shot great shots and not so great shots. Is the new 300 f/4 that much better of a lens than my Bigma?

I know it will considerably faster but will not reach out as far. so is it worth 1300$ when I already have a Bigma????


04-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #20
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Norway
Posts: 267
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
The thing is, to hit 500mm you need a 1.7x converter so you're at f/6.3 anyway (same as the bigma).

Used Bigma is maybe $900, new 300/4 + 1.7TC is around $1400.

That's a big gap.
I haven't used the Bigma myself. But I am geting to know my 300/4. Judging from this experience, compared to what I've seen from the Bigma, I'd say that you will get better pictures by cropping files from the 300mm. At least with the high rez of the K20D.

I'm not sure, just my impression.

MaritimTim
04-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member
channeler's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northwich Cheshire England
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,008
Nothing artistic, just a few opportunistic initial shots with the DA* 300 that arrived yesterday. All shots were handheld with SR on and all taken at F8. Light wasn't too good so all taken at 800 ISO. The heaviest lens I've worked with before was my Sigma 70-300 so the DA 300 felt signifiantly heavier. But it feels well balanced as I think John mentioned and the shots are reasonably sharp even though shutter speeds were not ideal. I seemed to need to put in negative exposure compensation, but I guess that could be my metering technique being out. It's really nice having such a quiet focusing system.

Paul

First my bird feeder raider. 1/180th, Exp Comp -1.0


A very wet Blackbird. 1/125th, Exp Comp -1.0


Flowers in our rockery which I've included mainly for the colours. I focused on one of the blue ones. 1/500th, Exp Comp -0.5
04-25-2008, 04:56 PM   #22
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 269
QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Nothing artistic, just a few opportunistic initial shots with the DA* 300 that arrived yesterday. All shots were handheld with SR on and all taken at F8. Light wasn't too good so all taken at 800 ISO. The heaviest lens I've worked with before was my Sigma 70-300 so the DA 300 felt signifiantly heavier. But it feels well balanced as I think John mentioned and the shots are reasonably sharp even though shutter speeds were not ideal. I seemed to need to put in negative exposure compensation, but I guess that could be my metering technique being out. It's really nice having such a quiet focusing system.

Paul

First my bird feeder raider. 1/180th, Exp Comp -1.0


A very wet Blackbird. 1/125th, Exp Comp -1.0


Flowers in our rockery which I've included mainly for the colours. I focused on one of the blue ones. 1/500th, Exp Comp -0.5
Thanks for posting those, Paul. Preliminarily, the results look encouraging. I think I'm just going to wait for companies like Adorama, B+H, and Beach Camera get them in stock and hope for a price war.

Ted
04-26-2008, 12:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member
channeler's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northwich Cheshire England
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,008
Yes, Ted, the more shots I take with the lens the more happy I feel about spending out the cash. The sharpness/detail/resolution become very apparent compared with my Sigma 70-300 especially as you blow images up. I am trying to get into serious bird photography though, so for me the acid test will be how it performs with my TCs. Hope to do some more tests with them later today.

Paul

04-26-2008, 01:11 AM   #24
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poland
Posts: 23
QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Yes, Ted, the more shots I take with the lens the more happy I feel about spending out the cash. The sharpness/detail/resolution become very apparent compared with my Sigma 70-300 especially as you blow images up. I am trying to get into serious bird photography though, so for me the acid test will be how it performs with my TCs. Hope to do some more tests with them later today.

Paul
I'm waiting for your's photos with TC
04-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Roland303's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 61
QuoteOriginally posted by ArturMalyPL Quote
I'm waiting for your's photos with TC
Yes, I'm also waiting to see photos with a TC since this is the lens that I've been waiting for and I intend to use a TC with it as well. Seeing these photos will hopefully make my decision easier between the three I'm considering: DA*300 w/ 1.4x TC, DA*200 w/ 2.0x TC or Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 w/ 2.0x TC.
04-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #26
Veteran Member
borno's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: md-usa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,580
I did some quick tests with mine today and it would oscillate with my old kenko 1.5x shq but it worked fine with the pentax 1.7afa here's one pretty close up with the 1.7x
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #27
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 531
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
I did some quick tests with mine today and it would oscillate with my old kenko 1.5x shq but it worked fine with the pentax 1.7afa here's one pretty close up with the 1.7x
Wow! That is very sharp!
04-28-2008, 01:59 AM   #28
Veteran Member
channeler's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northwich Cheshire England
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,008
Caution, Dirty Pictures

That does look sharp Tom. Not as interesting a subject but did a couple of tests with the DA 300 and my Kenko TCs. Dirty because I didn't clean the muck off the top of the bird feeder. Both were hand held. Firstly with the Teleplus DG 1.5x:

1/350th, F8, ISO 800, Exp Comp -1.5


Then with the Teleplus MC7 DG 2x
1/500th, F4, ISO 800, Exp Comp -1.5


Colours seem natural if you can get the exposure right. 1.5x easier to use as it gives SDM AF. I had to use manual focus with the 2x which I don't find that easy at times.

Paul

Last edited by channeler; 04-28-2008 at 05:46 AM.
04-28-2008, 04:34 AM   #29
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
did a couple of tests with the DA 300 and my Kenko TCs. Paul
Paul, is it possible to provide 100% crops?

It is impossible otherwise to judge sharpness from web-sized images (a web-sized image will always look sharp if the lens isn't total crap...).
04-28-2008, 05:14 AM   #30
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: West Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 338
Original Poster
Nice pix. channeler! I can't speak for the 'Bigma' but the DA* 300 gives excellent results, though, so far, my DA* 200 images seem sharper. This true with the PTX 1.7 TC too.........
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da*, flickr, k-mount, moon, pentax lens, photo, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax DA 55-300/ 18-55 DA II Impressions Rush2112 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 01-01-2009 03:45 PM
DA 55-300 Quick Impressions k100d Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 09-11-2008 06:34 AM
Sigma vs Tamron 70-300 - First impressions simonkit Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 04-07-2008 10:33 AM
Tamron 70-300 DI LD - First impressions simonkit Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 01-12-2008 01:03 PM
Impressions from the Tamron 70-300 ddamski Pentax DSLR Discussion 22 11-01-2007 03:18 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:01 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top