Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Alt shooter looking at pentax lens options.

A little bit of info about me. I had been shooting canon since 2007 but had my 7d get bricked when exposed to saltwater a few months back. I had other financial issues at the time due to a move to florida and transitioning careers and was forced to sell about $4k worth of my lenses and was left with nothing.

I decided to get back into photography and chose to get a Sony A7 due to its ability to use manual focus glass with viewfinder focus peaking and magnification. I've started buying up manual glass and thought I would look at some Pentax offerings. I've always liked the images I've seen here (I've always browsed here even though I shot canon and the community here don't seem to be as big of gear snobs) and was wondering what some good lenses in k mount would be to try out. I am looking for a macro specifically, but am open to other suggestions as well. Thanks for any info.

02-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
SMC-M 100mm and 50mm Macro lenses are superb. Be sure to check out some of the screwmount lenses, too. Favorites include the Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5 and 135mm f/3.5. Both very compact, VERY sharp and give excellent colors on film.
02-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Have you looked at the lens ratings the forum members have given?

e.g.
Pentax M Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
02-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been eyeing that SMC-M 100 and it looks like the iq is fantastic. I've always thought that the rendering and colors of pentax lenses was very nice.

On another note, how much of the pentax colors is due to camera processing of pentax cameras vs. the production of the lens?

---------- Post added 02-23-2014 at 12:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Yeah, I have been reading up on different lenses. I never considered alt glass in the past since I shot a 7d in the past and manual focusing on canon aps-c bodies isn't very good, so I'm educating myself.

02-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
On another note, how much of the pentax colors is due to camera processing of pentax cameras vs. the production of the lens?[COLOR="Silver"]
A lot of is from the lens! Pentax lenses seem to render reds like none other, and are a bit warmer. Shooting Provia 100f side by side in my ETRS and MX, the MX with it's SMC-M lenses have stronger reds and yellows, and are a bit warmer overall. My ETRS has strong Blues and Greens, with more filtration needed to bring the reds up to the Pentax. It's subtle, and difficult to tell when you look at them individually, but side by side there's a noticeable difference.
02-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
looking at pentax lens options
There's some great glass out there, but getting it can be quite difficult at times, but if macro is your thing have a look for a SMC Pentax-A* 200mm F4 Macro ED it's IMHO finest lenses made by Pentax, see the reviews here.

SMC Pentax-A* 200mm F4 Macro ED Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
02-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a comparison, same camera body, same scene, essentially the same time of day and lighting (well a couple of minutes apart), side by side. Two pieces of quality glass, reasonably close together in focal length. So, the differences are entirely generated in the glass.

02-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Here is a comparison, same camera body, same scene, essentially the same time of day and lighting (well a couple of minutes apart), side by side. Two pieces of quality glass, reasonably close together in focal length. So, the differences are entirely generated in the glass.
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

---------- Post added 02-23-2014 at 01:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
There's some great glass out there, but getting it can be quite difficult at times, but if macro is your thing have a look for a SMC Pentax-A* 200mm F4 Macro ED it's IMHO finest lenses made by Pentax, see the reviews here.

SMC Pentax-A* 200mm F4 Macro ED Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
That looks like a really nice lens. Hard to justify the cost vs. the canon fd and nikon 200 macro though...
02-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

was wondering what some good lenses in k mount would be to try out.
For low light, the K50/1.2 or A 50/1.2 should work well with focus peaking on the A7.

I use an A50/1.2 on a K-01 that way.
02-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Best bang for the buck in the M lenses is gonna be the 50mm

either 1.4 or 1.7

Truly amazing pieces of glass that can be had for less than $100.

The M 100 macro is a stellar lens as well, You can normally find the old vivitar 90mm macro for around $100 and it is a fantastic performer.
02-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found the Pentax M50 f4 macro one of the sharpest lenses I had. Also liked my M28 f2.8 if you want something on the wide side. These are very small lenses so they should match nicely w/ the A7.
02-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #12
Pentaxian

With the A7, the door is open to you.
I will suggest you look at some of the rangefinder lenses to keep form factor small.

For SLR lenses, Pentax is one of the best to use on the A7 as they typically make smaller lenses compared to the competition of the same lineage.
On top of that, they are very well built, optically good, and perhaps at the time of those legacy lenses had the best multicoating available in the SMC.

For a macro lens, look at any of the 100/2.8 macro. Most of them have the same optical forumula, with incremental improvements like 'A' setting, AF, rounded aperture.

I will also suggest looking at Canon FD lenses, which are cheaper for what they are because it was an orphan mount just not too long ago before MILCs.