Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which macro option should I go with?
Get the 35, anyway, the 43 is just jealous. 1938.78%
Get the DFA100 or Tamron 90 and use extension tubes for the 43 1632.65%
Get the 100/3.5 macro + either the DA21 or DA70 816.33%
Go for the 77 + extension tubes for it and the 43 510.20%
Get the Raynox diopoter and use it on all my lenses 12.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2008, 04:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It's funny that the getting the DA35 gets the most votes in the poll, but a good many people who've actually posted are recommending that I keep the 43 get a longer dedicated macro. Hmmm...

If I'm going to get a longer dedicated macro, then it's going to be between the DFA100 or tha Tammy 90. One plus of the Tammy is that if I order it before the end of April, then I can get the $90 rebate, making it cheaper than the Pentax. I checked this afternoon and both B&H and Adorama are out of them, so if I go that route, then I'm not sure where I'll be ordering from (BuyDig/Beach doesn't carry it).

Bob, your recommendations aren't controversial, but something to think about. As a matter of fact, the M28 (along with a K1000 body) is up for sale in the marketplace. I do have a couple of questions about it, though.

1. Assuming that I hang on to the 43 with it's 1.9 max aperture, why would I want to hang on to the M50/1.4?
2. If I get rid of the 100-300, then what would I do if I wanted to go beyond 90/100? Would the 90/100 be OK with a 2x TC on it (5.6 would be fine for shooting during the day)? Would I be better off getting something like the M200 like you have and using a TC if I wanted to go any further out?

As for the 21 & 70, I want both! Between the 2, I would probably get the 21 first, because I've given some thought to replacing the 17-70 with the Tamron 28-75, so the 21 would go with me regardless of whether I take primes or I take the zoom.

Once this is all said and done, I think I'm going to need to get a bigger camera bag.

Thanks!
Heather

04-16-2008, 04:38 PM   #17
Inactive Account

The bigger camera bag won't be necessary if you get rid of the 100-300, K1000, M28 and 18-55!!

As you know, deciding between the 21mm and the 70mm is tough, but probably more a question of which one suits what you like to shoot most. I am fortunate to have both but the 21mm is used more because I think it is more versatile for different types of shooting (landscapes, street photography, walk around etc.

As to your questions, the M 50/1.4 is, from what I have read, an excellent lens once stopped down a little and I guess I'm one of the believers in having a fast 50mm. Of course if you find yourself never using it then put up the for sale sign. As you can see from my lenses I don't have the long end covered much but I can tell you that the M 200 F/4 is a sharp lens and is light and easily handheld.
04-16-2008, 07:02 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I discovered that Abe's of Maine has the Tamron 90 for $449.95.
Tamron AF 90MM F2.8 Di Macro 1:1 Lens for Pentax -ORIGINAL PRICE $499.95
They say they are a Tamron Authorized Dealer, but when I go take a look for authorized dealers on Tamron's website, I can't find them.

If I'm going to have problems getting the rebate, then I don't want to deal with them. On the other hand, it would be nice to pay only $359.95 for it, though.

Have any of you dealt with them before?
Thanks!
Heather
04-16-2008, 09:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Taking flower shots and a few critters would make DFA 100mm macro or a Tamron 90mm macro a better option.

Keep 43 mm ltd. 35mm macro is probably more suited for copy work, taking shots of your lenses, watch collections stuff like that. Or a bit keen on getting close to small subject with a good bokeh surrounding

04-16-2008, 11:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I voted for the longer lens - the DFA 100 (which I have) or the 90 (which I've heard is very solid and good). I would also suggest (though it wasn't in the poll) that you look at older macros. I got my smc Macro-Takumar 50mm f4 for ~$50 and love it - though I wish it were f2.8 .

Pictures from both here: Pentax SMC DFA 100mm f2.8 Macro Photo Gallery by betsypdx at pbase.com and here: Super-Multi-Coated MACRO-TAKUMAR 1:4/50 Photo Gallery by betsypdx at pbase.com

I'm having a hard time deciding which one to take on my next trip, but am leaning toward the 100, since I'll probably tote along the 50 1.4 as well (and a newly acquired 50mm Lensbaby as well).

Good luck with your decision.
04-16-2008, 11:56 PM   #21
Veteran Member

The 35mm macro is heaven for those who shot stamps, money, page of books, as the shortened lenght allows again the use of repro-stands. For critters and flowers you need longer lenses.

I use the Hartbley 120/2,8 tilt and shift with Nikon diopters for flowers and the A*macro 200/4 for insects.
04-17-2008, 05:54 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I'm not sure how I'll vote in the poll... however: I have the following primes and here are my thoughts. With a lot of shooting, especially indoors, I like to have the option of getting really close, into near macro range.

I have the 43, and I also am very attached. It is ideal, if only it focused a bit closer...
I have the 70, and ditto.
I have the Tamron 90, in manual focus, the old f/2.5 version. I love it, it focuses close, I wish it were auto focus though, for the more casual shooting. And 90mm ends up being a bit long for me for general purposes. Lovely lens though... not one I'd walk around with however due to the focal lenght.

I wish Pentax made an auto focus / auto metering extension tube, as that would almost solve my issue with the 43.

I use an extension tube with my screw mount Takumar/Spotmatic. While it's a bit of a pain to twist it on and off as needed, it's still a reasonable compromise.

Had the 35 macro been available when I bought the 43 I probably would have bought the 35, mainly due to the close focus.

While I love the 70, I sometimes wish I'd asked the family for the Tamron 90 AF instead, for my birthday.

In my case, funds permitting, I will end up with option a. get the 35, the 43 is just jealous.
RE auto focusing macro ext tube: You might want to consider this as an option for your 43mm. I have one and like it. focusing is slow, but it works.

Kenko 25mm Uniplus Tube DG Auto Extension Tube for Pentax Digital SLR (UNITUBE25DGP)
04-17-2008, 06:16 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
1. Assuming that I hang on to the 43 with it's 1.9 max aperture, why would I want to hang on to the M50/1.4?

As for the 21 & 70, I want both! Between the 2, I would probably get the 21 first, because I've given some thought to replacing the 17-70 with the Tamron 28-75, so the 21 would go with me regardless of whether I take primes or I take the zoom.
why keep the M50? cuz it's fantastically well crafted, you probably won't get that much for it (judging by the marketplace) and it's so fun to use, encourages skill and technical ability when using it. but if you're not going to use it at all...

get the 21! very handy for street photography or casual photos with family and friends and the widest limited.

04-17-2008, 07:19 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm beginning to get a little more clarity on where I want to go with this. Since the vast majority of you that have commented think that I could use a portrait-length macro (90/100), that is definitely on my list.

With that being said, the 35mm macro is still not out of the question, though. I know that some of you have had concerns about the distance to get 1:1 being too short (I think someone said 5.5"), when I use the 43/extension tube combo, I just about have to be touching my subject with the front of the lens to get a decent focus. It sounds like both the 35and the 90/100 macro could both be useful to me.

I did some figuring and between the money I have now and what I could make by selling some other stuff, including the 43, I could be potentially looking at $1000, $625, if I don't get rid of the 43.

What I'm leaning towards doing at this point is going ahead and getting the longer macro (anybody got a Tamron 90/2.8 AF or DFA100 that they'd like to get rid of?) and then possibly waiting for Cameralensrentals.com to get the 35 and just rent it and see for myself whether or not I would like it better than the 43. If I like it, I'll sell the 43 at that point and buy the 35, possibly off of Barry himself.

I'm going to wait until next week when the poll closes to see what the final verdict is. Obviously, the Raynox is out of the question.

Thanks!
Heather
04-17-2008, 07:30 AM   #25
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
I just looked at the DA35 specs on DPReview and it appears as though it doesn't have an appeture ring. This makes the lens useless off camera. Use with a bellows or reversed won't work. A 35mm is really great reversed, because of the increased magnification. For the money they should have included manual appeture control. If this is the case, they crippled a otherwise great lens.

Dave
I'm with Dave on this one. keep the 43mm and get a 100m length macro lens. the working distance will make things much easier. The Tamron 90 or the Sigma 105 are both excellent lenses. I really like the Sigma 105 and it has a focus limiter which helps a lot when used as a telephoto lens. Plus it has an aperture ring so you can use your extension tubes to get even closer.

The 35mm is just too close and short for good flower shots IMO.
04-17-2008, 09:34 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If I'm going to buy new, it looks like the Sigma 105 is the best deal at $389+free shipping from both Adorama and Amazon. Someone on the DPReview Pentax forum suggested picking up an older MF Tamron 90/2.5; as a matter of fact, there's one on Fleabay that will be coming down tonight. If anybody has this lens, what do they think of it?

Tamron SP 90mm/2.5 Macro, Pentax K, Minty, Smooth.... - eBay (item 110241292061 end time Apr-17-08 17:15:00 PDT)

Thanks!
Heather
04-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I may have missed it, but if you're going Sigma is there a reason you're not considering the higher-rated but cheaper Sigma 70 f/2.8 macro?

QuoteQuote:
CONCLUSION: With a lens like this, Sigma makes it difficult for us to sound objective. In practical terms, it's faultless.
----> Lens Test: Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro AF - - PopPhotoDecember 2006

04-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

I may have missed it, but if you're going Sigma is there a reason you're not considering the higher-rated but cheaper Sigma 70 f/2.8 macro?

I'm thinking that I might get the DA70 one of these days.

H
04-17-2008, 12:12 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well heather,

you already my point of view: get the DA 35 first and everything alse you are considering next...!

Fot the first time since monday I'm out of bed, and today I made a walk... Guess what I had with me? Yes, the DA 35! I cannot compliment this lens enough: like nostatic said, it's like a Swiss army knife. There is nothing that this lens can't do. It's getting used to getting so close, the lens just keeps going on and on...

Here is one lens I will going to have in my bag always (he looked at the camera and said "from my bare, cold hands. )
04-17-2008, 12:54 PM   #30
Veteran Member

The D FA 100mm would work on your K1000 as well, so that gets my vote.