Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which macro option should I go with?
Get the 35, anyway, the 43 is just jealous. 1938.78%
Get the DFA100 or Tamron 90 and use extension tubes for the 43 1632.65%
Get the 100/3.5 macro + either the DA21 or DA70 816.33%
Go for the 77 + extension tubes for it and the 43 510.20%
Get the Raynox diopoter and use it on all my lenses 12.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
having second thoughts about the DA35 macro

I thought I was gung-ho on getting the DA35 macro, but then I started having second thoughts about it. It's as if my 43 is objecting to possibly being replaced. Maybe we're just too attached to each other, I don't know. Anyway, if you could help me out by participating in my poll, perhaps some more objective opinions might help me out here.

I also have a set of manual extension tubes that work pretty well with the 43. See the following link for examples: macro_and_close_ups Photo Gallery by Heather at pbase.com

What would be the best bang for my buck?

Thanks!
Heather

Last edited by heatherslightbox; 04-16-2008 at 09:23 AM.
04-16-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm not sure how I'll vote in the poll... however: I have the following primes and here are my thoughts. With a lot of shooting, especially indoors, I like to have the option of getting really close, into near macro range.

I have the 43, and I also am very attached. It is ideal, if only it focused a bit closer...
I have the 70, and ditto.
I have the Tamron 90, in manual focus, the old f/2.5 version. I love it, it focuses close, I wish it were auto focus though, for the more casual shooting. And 90mm ends up being a bit long for me for general purposes. Lovely lens though... not one I'd walk around with however due to the focal lenght.

I wish Pentax made an auto focus / auto metering extension tube, as that would almost solve my issue with the 43.

I use an extension tube with my screw mount Takumar/Spotmatic. While it's a bit of a pain to twist it on and off as needed, it's still a reasonable compromise.

Had the 35 macro been available when I bought the 43 I probably would have bought the 35, mainly due to the close focus.

While I love the 70, I sometimes wish I'd asked the family for the Tamron 90 AF instead, for my birthday.

In my case, funds permitting, I will end up with option a. get the 35, the 43 is just jealous.
04-16-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I thought I was gung-ho on getting the DA35 macro, but then I started having second thoughts about it. It's as if my 43 is objecting to possibly being replaced. Maybe we're just too attached to each other, I don't know. Anyway, if you could help me out by participating in my poll, perhaps some more objective opinions might help me out here.

Thanks!
Heather
I just looked at the DA35 specs on DPReview and it appears as though it doesn't have an appeture ring. This makes the lens useless off camera. Use with a bellows or reversed won't work. A 35mm is really great reversed, because of the increased magnification. For the money they should have included manual appeture control. If this is the case, they crippled a otherwise great lens.

Dave
04-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I have the 43, and I also am very attached. It is ideal, if only it focused a bit closer...

(snip snip...)

In my case, funds permitting, I will end up with option a. get the 35, the 43 is just jealous.
I totally agree--if that 43 had a closer focus, then it would be perfect.
If I do get the 35, I can't see how I could hang on to both it and the 43, so I would either sell it or trade for a DA21 or 70 or continue to save for the 77.

Heather

04-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #5

The 21mm Ltd is a nice little lens, and it gets along well with the 43!
04-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

what do you want to do with the lens? Do you need a relatively wide macro? What types of images do you want to get?

It really isn't a "macro" in the sense that most people shoot these days. You'd be much better served with a 100mm *if* you want that look and those types of subjects.

I love to close focus but that is me. I love to do street photography but to be honest my DLux3 is better for that. If I had a 43 and loved it I probably wouldn't have gotten the 35. I don't believe in having a ton of lenses, but that is my personal bias. If the 43 has good AF performance (like my 77 does), then just shoot and be happy. If the extension tubes get you "good enough" macro with the 43, then shoot and be happy. With the 35 you're never going to get the bug's eyebrow shot - just too short of a lens.

I think of the 35 as a swiss army knife prime. You can put it on the camera and shoot just about anything.
04-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Nesster;221122]
I have the 70, and ditto.

I wish Pentax made an auto focus / auto metering extension tube, as that would almost solve my issue with the 43.QUOTE]

Here is a good idea. Get an AF PK converter and have the camera repairman remove the lenese or do it yourself. You now have a auto extention tube with auto focus as well. It should do well with AF primes for macro shooting.

Dave

04-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
what do you want to do with the lens? Do you need a relatively wide macro? What types of images do you want to get?
I shoot mostly flowers, with an occasional small critter thown into the mix.

Heather
04-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I shoot mostly flowers, with an occasional small critter thown into the mix.
that screams out 100mm macro to me :P
and the DA21 is a great lens, really good for snapshot style photos and makes the camera a lot smaller too
04-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

keep the 43 and get a 100mm macro.
04-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #11

I would have to agree with nostatic, If your shooting that small of subject matter I would also recommend going with a 100mm macro. In the end you will probably really enjoy it for the increased working distance. I would go with the 100mm 2.8 giving you a nice quick lens that could be used as a portrait lens as well, aside from your telephoto sigma you don't have anything up in that mm range anyway.
04-16-2008, 12:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I used to have a dedicated 100mm macro, but I sold it and purchased a good Nikon diopter closeup lens that I use with my 18-55mm or my 70-210mm. The diopter lens is nice, but it's just not the same as a good macro prime if you like super shallow DOF and the best possible detail.

I also don't like the way the diopter restricts focus range. A dedicated macro lens will focus from macro to infinity but a lens with a diopter on it has a limited focus range (macro distances) and can no longer correctly focus to longer distances or infinity (at least the ones I've used can't).

I have the DA 40 which I personally think is even more of an overlap with the DA 35 Macro than the FA 43 Limited is ... but I'm still going to buy the DA 35mm Macro.

That's what LBA is all about.
04-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

if you get that 35 go ahead and feel free to send the 43 this way =D

Pm price? =D yeeee,

i too want the 35 but i need to get my hands on a 43 first because its price is not going to drop but the 35's will
04-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kenko makes a real af A contact ext tube for Pentax. It is called the Uni-plus 25. It is the only true af tube available. It has the drive shaft and everything for full automation. Putting it on the 43 would put you very close to the subject.
thanks
barondla
my favorite macros start at 100 and usually go to 200.
04-16-2008, 03:34 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Given your current lenses, and what "subjects" you want to shoot macro, and the fact you already own the 43 ltd, I am going to make a "bold" recommendation!

I would suggest you consider getting either the Tamron 90mm or the Pentax 100mm or Sigma 105mm for your macro shooting (be advised the Pentax lacks a focus limiter which can be problematic). Also, all make a very nice nice mid telephoto also (120mm-157mm).

Here's the contoversial part (don't shoot me!). Consider selling the kit lens, and the Sigma 100-300 and the M28. Since you already know what one of the limiteds can do (that "pop" in the limiteds pics is real, as you know from owning the 43mm)), get either the 21mm ltd. or the 70mm ltd. depending on which fov and length best suits your style.

Doing this, along with the new longer macro, will make you somewhat poorer (!) but will signifcantly upgrade the quality of your kit.

Bob