Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Reviews & Ratings – Lens, Camera – How to read, evaluate and use.

Hi,
As a New to DSLR and Pentax, I find very helpful posts and reviewson Pentaxforums, but was confused and cautioned about using ratings of lens.
Let’s assume one lens have four users rate a lens as 8 while other lens have four users- three rate as 10 and one user 0 – Av rating 7.5.
Which is better?
As I went through the lens ratings, I could not rely on ratings that have very low rating and/or superficial thus ignored them.
I got better evaluation.
I suggest that in averaging lens – the ratings should be from 5 to 10.
Haim

02-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Have in mind that these reviews are 100% subjective. The same performing lens can be a jewel to one or just another piece of glass to other.

Give more attention to the descriptions, photos attached, because just plain numbers doesn't say much by itself.
02-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All user reviews are subject to interpretation and can widely vary. There is no perfect rating system either. I never trust one single review. Read reviews here and elsewhere. Read the user's comments. A lot of lenses are actually fairly good, while a few are lousy and a few are really really good. On this site, older reviews tend to be much more inconsistent than ones in the last few years by the way. However, the equipment that has had full blown special reviews here are really very good and reliable, IMHO. Personally, I find reviews from this site ( Camera lens tests, user reviews, camera accessory reviews - SLRgear.com! ) to be very helpful as well.

Always remember that you are the best reviewer you will ever find and that others review stuff from their point of view and experience.
02-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
All user reviews are subject to interpretation and can widely vary. There is no perfect rating system either. I never trust one single review. Read reviews here and elsewhere. Read the user's comments. A lot of lenses are actually fairly good, while a few are lousy and a few are really really good. On this site, older reviews tend to be much more inconsistent than ones in the last few years by the way. However, the equipment that has had full blown special reviews here are really very good and reliable, IMHO. Personally, I find reviews from this site ( Camera lens tests, user reviews, camera accessory reviews - SLRgear.com! ) to be very helpful as well.

Always remember that you are the best reviewer you will ever find and that others review stuff from their point of view and experience.
Hi,
Thanks.
I was looking for a rating sys that will indicate in a reliable way which gear is better.
The site you suggested looks pro.
Haim

02-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you want to know the quality of a lens check the Lens Sample Archive

Lens Sample Photo Archive - PentaxForums.com

or search for a camera/lens on PPG...

PENTAX : Welcome to the PENTAX Photo Gallery

Forget the measurbation and subjective ratings.