Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #1

Opinions on vintage Sigma zoom lens

A few months ago, I bought a Pentax series A 50mm prime off eBay. The seller bundled it with a Sigma 28-85mm zoom lens, which looks and feels 80's vintage. (See attached photos). It has an all-metal body with excellent build quality. I had no idea what to expect from this lens. Seems high-quality by look and feel and yet, the IQ I am getting is not very impressive, at least compared to the Pentax A series. Makes sense to me. I could not find this exact lens in the 3rd Party Lens database.

The markings around the front lens glass says "SIGMA ZOOM II 1:35~4.5 1=28mm~85mm MULTI-COATED (serial number) LENS MADE IN JAPAN 067".

Any opinions/experiences on this lens? Thanks!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
02-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Zooms in the 80's did NOT have much of a reputation. I got a few third party "bundle zooms" myself with various vintage lenses, but never actually found time to play with them. Do you have a few sample shots? It would be interesting to see how it performs. Even if these lenses are not sharp, they might turn out to have other interesting properties - or that is what I have been telling myself
02-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sigma lenses back in the 1970s and 1980s aren't much. My dad was active then and doesn't think much of Sigma at all; they used to focus on cheap lenses, so I wouldn't expect much out of them. It's probably only fairly recent that Sigma has been making a high quality product. I hear they are a nightmare to deal with from a retailer perspective, but their product is good.