Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
Not Registered

What lens would you buy just to throw it against a wall?

I just thought nobody asked this yet

04-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

reminds me of Brian Ayling's photographic repair tips
this is how he "fixed" his 50mm Tak

04-16-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
reminds me of Brian Ayling's photographic repair tips
this is how he "fixed" his 50mm Tak

I am sure that lens works now like never before
04-16-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you mean: 'your worst nightmare lens'?

Well, I guess that premium goes to the (roll drums) Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar 80-200 f/4 I had back when I used Contax. Bought it new at an incredible price (still can't believe I jumped back then - boy, was I young!) I had it for a couple of days, when I noticed that I couldn't focus on infinity. Got an exchange (after writing several letters to Contax Belgium), and I thought everything was ok. Untill a year later, when on vacation in Thailand, when I got it out of the bag, the front tubus (with lenses and all) just fell apart from the rest that I held in my hands. No tele photos any more for the rest of the remaining two weeks and when I got back home, I had to write lots of letters (email didn't exist back then) to Contax Belgium and Contax Europe, when at last they agreed to repair it for free (and damn well they had to, as there was no incident that had happened that could explain why it fell apart.) Finally I agreed for repair, but I still think they should have replaced it...
And thinking that my A 70-210 is optically as good!
It took me years to sell this thing at a reasonable price (half of what I paid.) Since then I avoid Carl Zeiss like hell...

04-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
Do you mean: 'your worst nightmare lens'?

Well, I guess that premium goes to the (roll drums) Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar 80-200 f/4 I had back when I used Contax. Bought it new at an incredible price (still can't believe I jumped back then - boy, was I young!) I had it for a couple of days, when I noticed that I couldn't focus on infinity. Got an exchange (after writing several letters to Contax Belgium), and I thought everything was ok. Untill a year later, when on vacation in Thailand, when I got it out of the bag, the front tubus (with lenses and all) just fell apart from the rest that I held in my hands. No tele photos any more for the rest of the remaining two weeks and when I got back home, I had to write lots of letters (email didn't exist back then) to Contax Belgium and Contax Europe, when at last they agreed to repair it for free (and damn well they had to, as there was no incident that had happened that could explain why it fell apart.) Finally I agreed for repair, but I still think they should have replaced it...
And thinking that my A 70-210 is optically as good!
It took me years to sell this thing at a reasonable price (half of what I paid.) Since then I avoid Carl Zeiss like hell...
Man that sucks. That is an example of what i am talking about.
I can see other cases. For instance:
1)humanitary reasons: lenses so bad that you would buy them and throw them to the wall just to prevent others to suffer the pain
2) Stress relief reasons: lenses that gave you so many headaches that to throw them against the wall is a relief (your case)
3) Fame reasons: we all know that some people love to have their 15 minutes of fame. Some try to get them by saying that they are pros, some other saying they are insiders, some other trolling a little by entering a branded-based-forum to bash that brand... In this case, I can see situations where somebody can buy...uhmm....say a pentax FA600 f4 to throw it against a wall and say "it was not up to the task". All of us would call him/her stupid but nobody can argue that the person would become an instant legend.
4) Test if the lens is well-built Imagine Klauss adding this test to his battery. They do it with cars, why not with lenses?

Other reasons are valid also.
04-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

For me, there is no lens that I would throw against a wall. Even the most worthless lens on the planet can serve a purpose as a photographic tool ... it just might not be a very good tool.

Heck I even purchased one of those seemingly worthless modified Holga lenses from Holgamods so I could put a cheap plastic "lens" on my Pentax cameras.

I love that lens! I rarely use it because the images that come out of it look like blurred poop, but sometimes I enjoy taking portraits or landscapes with it and making prints that look cool (though not "technically" very good).

I just like the idea of using a piece of junk plastic lens to create nice photos because it reminds people that the photographer matters more than the equipment.
04-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #7
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
For me, there is no lens that I would throw against a wall. Even the most worthless lens on the planet can serve a purpose as a photographic tool ... it just might not be a very good tool.

Heck I even purchased one of those seemingly worthless modified Holga lenses from Holgamods so I could put a cheap plastic "lens" on my Pentax cameras.

I love that lens! I rarely use it because the images that come out of it look like blurred poop, but sometimes I enjoy taking portraits or landscapes with it and making prints that look cool (though not "technically" very good).

I just like the idea of using a piece of junk plastic lens to create nice photos because it reminds people that the photographer matters more than the equipment.
It was just a retoric question. I hope nobody starts throwing adaptalls, takumars and zeiss to see which one make the biggest hole on the wall
04-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
It was just a retoric question. I hope nobody starts throwing adaptalls, takumars and zeiss to see which one make the biggest hole on the wall
Don't worry, I understood the rhetorical nature of your original question ... I just figured it was worth pointing out that I could never destroy any lens (even a seemingly worthless lens).

However, I think the worst lens ever award might have to go to the cheap 500mm f/8 mirror reflex lenses that you can buy on ebay for $80 or less. That's a lens I can "almost" consider throwing into a brick wall.

04-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Before you throw it against the wall please consider sending it my way first. I'll test it for you, and if it isn't up to the task I'll make arrangements to use a steam roller on it (I worked in Road Construction before I buggered myself up, so I know how to work such equipment) and photograph the process for you.

And if I get nice images from it I'd send it back to you. If you wanted it.

I've only had one lens I couldn't get anything decent from, and now that I know a thing or two about photography I believe that the aperture blades needed some work
The lens wasn't worth the cost of the repair, however someone with a little extra time on their hands might be able to fix it themselves.
04-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
The Zenit-E cam I have (for sale) would win, hands down I don't believe there is a single piece of plastic in it. As for lenses, the SP 28-135 would hold its own...

I agree with what has been said...even the worst lenses have their purpose
04-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
the cheap 500mm f/8 mirror reflex lenses that you can buy on ebay for $80 or less.
i need one !
--------------------------------

hah
my Pentax F Zoom 70-200, i would throw this through a brick wall if i could because its UGLY AS SIN but I wont because it creates some hot ass images !!!
04-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #12
Not Registered

You can always get dressed as a wall and close the eyes
04-16-2008, 12:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hate to say it, because it cost a pretty penny, but it wouldn't take me much to throw my DA*16-50/2.8 against a wall. The first Pentax branded lens that has really disappointed me.
04-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I believe you volosong, but I hope that you do like most others have and keep sending it back.
When someone gets a good copy that lens amazes me. Although I'd like to see if it still will in a couple of years after they see some use
04-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #15
Forum Member

No lens that I would throw against a wall. But my Sony VAIO notebook computer, now that's another story...