Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 28-105, Kit lens, and the K-x...

I was messing around with the K-x and the kit lens using the blower on it to try to get some dust off the sensor and just doing a few low light test shots. (The K-x needs a wet clean soon I think.) After trying this set up, a pill bottle under my desk light, no flash, with the kit lens and getting nowhere I decided to try my Sigma 28-105mm that I got from KEH a while back. Now so far, on the K-7 I'd borrowed I had not been very impressed with this lens. I was disappointed with it. I'd hoped it would give me a non WR alternative to the WR 18-135 for now but the shots I'd taken with it were really not that good and it wasn't focusing well at all. I'd only used it on the loaner K-7 so far. Bargain lens, in the end I kind of thought it was a bit of a dud.

But on the K-x actually it was a LOT better. It focused fairly well in low light, far better than the kit lens. It's interesting to me that on an older camera, albeit one that was supposed to be a flagship camera at the time, this lens doesn't do this nearly as well. It's still not perfect. Low light and no flash, it's not exactly doing crystal clear type, but it still surprised me how much easier and better this lens performed on the K-x vs the K-7. I really wonder now what this lens might do on say a K-5?

FYI, I tried this lens, pretty much the same set up with the K-7 a while back and it could barely focus in the same light with this lens. No way I'd have gotten this, sans flash. My highlights were a bit blown. The tiny LCD desk lamp I use tends to make for some harsh lighting. I corrected that a bit but otherwise I haven't done much to it. But now, looking at this, I think in good studio light and outdoors this lens might actually have some potential..

and

One more with my favorite little test object, a tiny little Japanese incense holder kitty...(Poor kitty, he needs some dusting...)

But this is the bargain lens I initially rated as "pretty sucky" on a camera other than my K-x working in the near dark, at like 3 AM. I'd say I got a bargain. More than I thought I did. Can't wait to try this in proper light now!

Last edited by magkelly; 02-25-2014 at 01:18 AM.
02-24-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Drugs! I'm pretty sure I have the same ones at my house.

Which 28-105 is it? Didn't they make a few?
02-24-2014, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It says Aspherical IF 28-105, that's it. It was like $25 I think as I recall at KEH, bargain lens. It usually runs about $100 when I see it so I grabbed it when I saw it. Says UCIII actually around the actual lens, so it's this one. But I've never seen it for $50 used. Maybe in the bargain bin but usually it's nearly twice that. (The only ones they have now are like $90 a pop...)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-28-105mm-f3-8-5-6-uc-iii.html

---------- Post added 02-25-14 at 01:19 AM ----------

That migraine stuff is the only reason I am playing with cameras and typing at you. The pharmacist suggested it to combat the bad, bad, migraine I've had for two days now that keeps coming back and just slamming me into a world of pain. Even on Vico and Flexeril I could still feel it. But this stuff, it's actually working a bit better. My eyes aren't watering now and I can see to type, mostly. Who knew adding aspirin and a bit of caffeine to Tylenol was such a good thing? Beats Vico any day. That stuff makes me so ill, ugh...

Last edited by magkelly; 02-24-2014 at 11:26 PM.
02-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Promaster 28-105 and am frankly impressed with it. I need to really put it through some paces, but my testing shows it very sharp at 70mm and with its short focus throw, it's quick. I don't know if someone made all these lenses which got rebadged, but they all seem pretty similar.

02-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
It says Aspherical IF 28-105, that's it. It was like $25 I think as I recall at KEH, bargain lens. It usually runs about $100 when I see it so I grabbed it when I saw it. Says UCIII actually around the actual lens, so it's this one. But I've never seen it for $50 used. Maybe in the bargain bin but usually it's nearly twice that. (The only ones they have now are like $90 a pop...)

Sigma 28-105mm F3.8-5.6 UC III Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

---------- Post added 02-25-14 at 01:19 AM ----------

That migraine stuff is the only reason I am playing with cameras and typing at you. The pharmacist suggested it to combat the bad, bad, migraine I've had for two days now that keeps coming back and just slamming me into a world of pain. Even on Vico and Flexeril I could still feel it. But this stuff, it's actually working a bit better. My eyes aren't watering now and I can see to type, mostly. Who knew adding aspirin and a bit of caffeine to Tylenol was such a good thing? Beats Vico any day. That stuff makes me so ill, ugh...
I can't take Vicodin without Phenergan. Flexeril is a muscle relaxer, which does jack for migraine. I loved Orudis, but they took it off the market. (It was ketoprofen. An anti-inflammatory. It worked, was not an opiod & was OTC.)
02-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Flexeril helps my migraines which are partially caused by cervical injury and subsequent tissue scarring etc. I've had back surgery a couple of times but I'm still left with horrible pain there sometimes. I have an autoimmune condition that really messes with my eyes, sinuses, etc, and when the neck issue flares that gets involved too. The Flexeril loosens the muscles up but I still end up needing pain killers too. I used to see a CMT sometimes too, but can't go lately because I don't have insurance to cover it and it's getting too expensive anymore.
02-25-2014, 11:14 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

My hospital switched to a high deductible plan. I have to pay oop for everything now. Until I hit the deductible. Which is ridiculously high.