Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

My first feeble attempt with the FA* 200 macro and a spider preying sequence

So finally I got my dream Pentax lens, the Pentax FA* 200 macro. At first when I looked at it, I told myself that it's not that big. It's just a little longer than the fully extended Voigtlander macro, which I comfortably handheld most of the time. My first attempt to handhold macro this thing was a failure, unable to keep the thing still. I guess it's my cue to go to the gym .

With my limited experience so far, one thing I really love about this lens is the manual focus feel and the focus throw. I don't need to do a full 3 turns like the Voigtlander (it's almost one full turn). The manual feel is just right on for me; the Voigtlander is a little stiff. Auto focus is responsive, but slow like any other macro. I tried to do AF.C in part of my spider sequence macro, the result was ok.

So these are several shots of a spider preying sequence:

The nest:

A little close up:

Leaving the nest to catch the poor moth:

Packaging (I used AF.C for this one)- the whole process happens in mere few seconds:

USPS delivery on the front porch:

Time to dissolve the poor soul:

Hopefully, I can tame this lens by the end of the week. When I receive the DA 35, I'll do a second round of my macro showdown.

04-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats again on this gem lens. I'm sure you'd enjoy using it along the way. If only I could find and afford one like this ...
04-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Congradulation on the purchase. (I thought you were not going to grab the copy!)

Manual focusing is getting difficult when you tried to do 1:1 macro with that lens, ISO would have to be bumped up a lot higher and flash is almost inevitable to be used.

You got the Fa autofocus there and lucky you. Maybe it is going to be a good substitue for 200mm focal length prime as well
04-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Must be good pictures there Hiep because it activated my "eww gross, spiders" reaction, hehe. Yeah, definately tricky to handhold macro at that focal range and on a moving subject too, good shooting! I think you'll appeciate the 35 for that, although I wouldn't be using that on any spiders (*shudder*)

04-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Congradulation on the purchase. (I thought you were not going to grab the copy!)

Manual focusing is getting difficult when you tried to do 1:1 macro with that lens, ISO would have to be bumped up a lot higher and flash is almost inevitable to be used.

You got the Fa autofocus there and lucky you. Maybe it is going to be a good substitue for 200mm focal length prime as well
This is not the same one I showed you. At that price, I wouldn't pay for that. And thanks for the tips, James. Flash is definitely needed to freeze all movements. I tried my new DIY macro flash diffuser, and was able to freeze this little guy while he attempted to flee the scene (the mirror slap noise was quite loud that it scared this guy):

I also tested CA and PF of this lens. It's quite respectable. I saw only a minor trace of PF and no CA.

This is definitely going to be my 200 prime.

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Must be good pictures there Hiep because it activated my "eww gross, spiders" reaction, hehe. Yeah, definately tricky to handhold macro at that focal range and on a moving subject too, good shooting! I think you'll appeciate the 35 for that, although I wouldn't be using that on any spiders (*shudder*)
Thanks Kelly. Hopefully, I'll enjoy my DA 35 as well. I have pretty high expectation for that DA (my first DA prime).