Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #1

Probs with Sigma 70-200 2.8, also service questions

I'm afraid I am going to have to send my beloved Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM in for service

Thankfully I am still under 1 year since purchase though

It has recently begun exhibiting symptoms whereby it appears to lose communication with my camera bodies (K5IIs and K3). Sometimes when I turn on the camera (either), it cannot read the lens' focal length for a few seconds (as if it were a full manual), but more typically during long shoots it will suddenly disappear off the body: aperature registers "---" or might jump to some random value, focus goes away (and you can sometimes see the focus points blipping around different spots in the finder). Usually but not always power cycling the camera fixes it temporarily.

Contacts all look clean, and again it seems sporadic but more prevalent during longer shoots.

Anyone else ever see this?

That said, what's the general turn around time on Sigma warranty work in everyone's experience? This is one of my two workhorse lenses and being without it is going to hurt in many ways.

02-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would clean the contacts anyhow if you haven't done so. Sometimes a film that isn't easily visible can cause resistance or cause a contact to stick. Since it does this on 2 bodies, that kind of rules out the camera.
02-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
Forum Member

Mine would do that, as well as go full retard when asked to focus (Miss focus and then simply give up)
It went back 3 times, 3rd time was the charm, focuses and never flashes random junk anymore ...
02-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfworx Quote
Mine would do that, as well as go full retard when asked to focus (Miss focus and then simply give up)
It went back 3 times, 3rd time was the charm, focuses and never flashes random junk anymore ...
Any idea what it was/what they did?

How long was your lens gone each time?

02-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sigma service in NY is very good. Their people are top notch and repair time for me was ~1 week. This was for a similar problem with a 180mm 3.5 macro lens. Mine turned out to need the aperture ring replaced - cost was ~$125.

Use the form on this page to start the process - choose the Ronkonkoma NY facility. Once they receive your lens they will send you a quote - if you want to go forward with the repair you can pay on-line.

Service & Support | Sigma
02-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #6

Original Poster
Excellent to hear, thanks. I just ran it over to Staples and shipped it off insured for the entire $1250...only cost $27

Sweet
02-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gryhnd Quote
Excellent to hear, thanks. I just ran it over to Staples and shipped it off insured for the entire $1250...only cost $27

Sweet
Good deal - let us know how you make out. Like I said, I had a couple experiences with that service center and all were very positive.
02-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gryhnd Quote
Any idea what it was/what they did?

How long was your lens gone each time?
About 2 weeks each time, and it was some faulty electronics in the lens ( they were quite vague)

02-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #9

Original Poster
So Sigma called already!

And...they can't reproduce the problem.

Of course not.

The tech did explain what they had tried, including running the HSM for some length of time.

They are going to keep it for a bit longer, but I'm worried this is a bust. Only good news is I did find out the warranty on this lens is 4 years, not 1! Woo hoo!
02-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That's some luck!

Maybe just a case of dirty contacts? The first thing that was suggested to me when I had the similar problem was to get some electrical contact cleaner to clean the contacts on both the camera and lens.

I guess if the Sigma techs can't reproduce it, maybe it is something camera related?

The only other option I can think of is to send the camera to them to test together. Also if you did that they will calibrate the lens to your camera while they had it.
02-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #11

Original Poster
It happens on both of my bodies, not just one.
02-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Ah - OK - definitely the lens then. I sure hope they can make it act up for you!
03-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #13

Original Poster
Lens came back today and basically the invoice declared "NFF" - which I take to mean No Fault Found.

At least there's a record of this now, plus I am aware my warranty is 4 years and not 1 as I first thought.

One interesting thing to note: when the tech called me to say they couldn't reproduce it, he asked how many pictures I would take when this happened. Hundreds, thousands? I said probably hundreds. He indicated that some photographers for dance shoot 10s of thousands and then complain the lens shuts down. This is because (I gather this is what he meant) the HSM/focus mechanism over heats.

So perhaps my using the lens in AF.C waiting for good shots isn't a good idea. Speculating. Doesn't explain the occasional time of starting up cold and the body thinking there's a manual lens on for a few seconds though.
03-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Good news at least you know you still have plenty of warranty coverage. Guess you'll have to use it until it develops a consistent problem.

While not the perfect solution, kudos to Sigma techs for trying and even taking the time to call you.
03-12-2014, 05:39 AM   #15
Pentaxian

My experience with the sigma facility was not as positive. We couldn't agree on what degree of optical performance (decentering) constituted a problem, after two attempts under warranty. As some other posts suggest, I don't think most manufactures have equipment to test for resolution across the frame, so they just take pictures with a body (in this case, an older-model lower-mp body) like we would. They sent me a test chart image and an image from outside their building, but with the lower-mp combine with not positing the subject at what I'd call the outer edge/corners, their images were a lot less convincing (of a problem) than mine. However they were fairly prompt and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a (returnable) sigma lens in the future. Back then I wasn't as aware of how to test lenses or as familiar with what to look for right after purchasing.

This of course is completely different and intermittent problems can be extremely difficult to deal with for any repair facility with any product.