Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
You didn't say which camera you'd be using, or what sorts of subjects are high priority for you. As a for-instance, with a K-01 (your least costly "in" for still current sensor/processor technology), I'd take careful notice of the advice already given regarding the 50/1.7 -A or SMC (later) 55/1.8's... and then go with a 28mm -- ChristianRock's alternative also makes good, economical sense -- as a versatile, 1.5x crop factor "normal". Personally, I think that if you can live with the maximum aperture, you'd get better IQ results in more instances with the tiny 28mm/3.5 -M, rather than the f.2.8 MF Pentax options. Also consider the Rikenon XR 50mm/2.0: If the MTF curve you can find online from a test at either Popular Photography, or Modern Photography magazine (I forget which) is to be believed, the circa $25 Rikenon matched, or exceeded by a hair, the result from the Nikkor 50mm/1.4 AI around 1/3 stop down from f.2.0 -- a sharp, really economical lens for low light, perhaps?

And Lowell's advice is good: Why NOT also carry an ultralight film body? You don't have to burn up a lot of film; just go for it selectively when full-frame 35mm is really your best option to get a shot. Your effective focal lengths get "repositioned" automatically to make your lenses double-duty... for peanuts! My like-new 11-1/2 oz. ZX-M came free as a lens cap with my SMC-A 50/1.7 (Thanks, Pacerr , for the helpful review on the often overlooked ZX-M.). My camera bag, as of this afternoon, will have only about 23 oz. extra heft to it in addition to my new K-3 (!) from the XZ-M and an Olympus E-PL5/VF-4 for 1x... 1.5x... and 2.0 "optimized crop factors" on the spot. Goodbye heavy, bulky long macro lenses and burdensome, big-dollar AF telephotos (unnecessary for landscape).
What you are saying makes a lot of sense! In fact, I do have a ZX-M that was given to me by a friend, for that exact reason - it turns my 28mm lens into a real wide angle, and my Tokina 19-35 suddenly becomes a super wide angle if I need it to. The ZX-M is fun to set manual exposure. It tells you what your shutter speed is in the display as you are composing, and you don't ever need to take your eye off the viewfinder when changing settings (unlike my Minolta XG-M).

And that brings me to a recommendation I had totally forgotten about... the lens that I usually keep on my ZX-M is my Auto Sears 50mm f/1.7. That lens is a fantastic lens, made by Ricoh. I actually like the way it renders better than my Pentax-M 50 1.7. Mine cost me 26 dollars because it was in excellent shape, and I see some good ones that sold for 15-25 dollars on Ebay history. It's an all plastic lens, really light, and almost a pancake. With the ZX-M it makes a very small, light combo. I highly recommend this lens for a cheap, good nifty 50.

02-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
+1
M50/1.7 was my first lens after the kit lens(18-55) and a great choice.
02-26-2014, 09:20 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
What you are saying makes a lot of sense! In fact, I do have a ZX-M that was given to me by a friend, for that exact reason - it turns my 28mm lens into a real wide angle, and my Tokina 19-35 suddenly becomes a super wide angle if I need it to. The ZX-M is fun to set manual exposure. It tells you what your shutter speed is in the display as you are composing, and you don't ever need to take your eye off the viewfinder when changing settings (unlike my Minolta XG-M).

And that brings me to a recommendation I had totally forgotten about... the lens that I usually keep on my ZX-M is my Auto Sears 50mm f/1.7. That lens is a fantastic lens, made by Ricoh. I actually like the way it renders better than my Pentax-M 50 1.7. Mine cost me 26 dollars because it was in excellent shape, and I see some good ones that sold for 15-25 dollars on Ebay history. It's an all plastic lens, really light, and almost a pancake. With the ZX-M it makes a very small, light combo. I highly recommend this lens for a cheap, good nifty 50.
Yep, there are many sensible choices you could make for a low-cost "50"; I was just offering a "sibling" option to your recommendation! ;>) I do have two of the 50mm XRs around here, but haven't as yet made comparisons with my A50/1.7 and SMC & S-M-C Tak. 55/1.8s, particularly at f.2.0-2.4, or thereabouts. Very good things are said about Sears f.1.4s as well.

I just love that I can get useful mileage out of ALL my own particular DA lenses on the ZX-M or my PZ-1p -- "DA"/Schneider-K. 12-24mm; DA 35/2.4; DA 40 XS: HD DA 70/2.4. That wasn't accidental.

---------- Post added 02-26-14 at 11:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
M (or A) 50/1.7 and M (or A) 28/2.8.

But even better is to get the M50/1.7 plus an A24/2.8. However, I think the price has gone up a little on the A24 since I had it, so you might need to get one of the smc K 24s. But 24mm is a great focal length, as well as these generally being more outstanding lenses than the M28/2.8.

I found the Sigma 24 super-wide II to not be as great as advertised, and I've had 2 of them.

In fact, if you're going to stick with a 28mm lens the best one to get is the K28/3.5. I had one, and it was excellent, but ultimately I sold it because it didn't fill a need in my kit. So unless you're getting a 24, I'd say go with the A50/1.7 and the K28/3.5.
I concur with your bottom line, with the SMC-K 55/1.8 as an alternative choice. I would also note that my K28/3.5 cost nearly 3 times that of my (sometimes usefully smaller) M28/3.5 (both in "mint" shape with dead clear glass, for reference)... I expect this will be a matter of consideration for our inquirer.

BTW, I have a Super-Wide II AF 24, too, due to an auction win at a silly bargain price. I've been quite curious about that one, not in the least because of the reviews here. But, unfortunately, it's in Canon EF/EOS mount; so I'd have to run the comparisons on my $9.95 Rebel G 35mm film body (Boy Scout motto: "Be prepared.").